• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 carbine light strikes nogo bang

usp45ct

NES Member
Friend bought an M1 carbine at a gun show and she no go bang. A bang stick with out the bang is just a stick. With rounds, the hammer hits but on three rounds, 2 had nothing and one had a very light dent. So I ask the NES oracle, WTF? I will get it, strip it and clean the shiznit out of it but looks like bolt disassembly and re-assembly is a bear. Any ideas or thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like it just needs a good swamping out.
If someone used old school gun grease, it is now probably the consistency of tar.

So, to disassemble the bolt on your M1 Garand.... I kid, I kid....

Check the firing pin protrusion and the firing pin tail for damage. The pin should float freely in the bolt body.

First of all what M1 carbine? USGI, cemercual, new or old manufacture.
The M1 carbine is a tough little platform although if it's a usgi it's no less than 70 years old and only as good as its last US Arsenal over haul. There are commercial ones that suck.
The best thing to do is clean the rifle first inspect it and look for any visable parts that look worn
This may help.

https://archive.org/details/FM23-7

As for bolt dis and re assembly it's I bit of a brute to do with hands but not impossible. I WILL SHOUT HERE....
DO NOT ATTEMPT THE BOLT DISSASEMBLY WITHOUT A LARGE CLEAR BAG OR CONTAINER OVER THE BOLT. PARTS WILL GO FLING. I USE A LARGE CLEAR TOTE WITH HAND HOLES CUT IN THE SIDES.

That said I would not bother taking bolt apart until you buy a replacement spring kit.

Parts are not getting any cheaper I would go with one of these http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_carbine_spare_parts_rebuild_kit.html

BUT first let's start with identifying what M1 carbine you have.

Last edited:
If it was mine and I didn't know anything about M1 Carbines, like if it was even an M1 Carbine, I'd first make sure it goes completely into battery. This means I'd make sure the throat was cleaned good, sometimes a ring builds up in the chamber and stops it from closing completely. Then I'd make sure the firing pin is not broken and moves freely.
It sounds to me like it's not completely into battery with the short description.

Oh and if you are disassembling the bolt, get a bolt tool.

I would try different ammo and scrub the chamber.
Are you using Hornady or armscorp.
The ammo has made a difference in mine.
ggboy

How old is your M1? You may just need a new recoil spring..a five minute install.
If it is original GI , I woudl have to say to try that first.
ggboy

+1 on the bolt tool. Brownells has them.

+1 on the bag while disassembling. I spent 2 hours one night looking for the extractor spring.

Step one, Insure chamber is clean, step two, remove bolt and put it in a automotive degreasing tank and clean the hell out of it. Then check the firing pin movement and ends.

Surprised no one said remove bolt, push firing pin to see how far it protrudes out bolt face. Prob need a new firing pin (still bolt disassembly) I actually have to replace my springs and bolt parts. My carbines never seen a overhaul since was made at inland in 1942, so I want to save all wearable parts so they don't break so it stays original parts.

Thanks for your patience

looks like a quality hardware receiver with a RIA barrel. It was dirty but not overly so. The ammo he bought was PPU the firing pin extends out about about .052 inches. Soaked the bolt in carbon cleaner and it seems cleaner but the firing pin still moves freely which it what it should.

Back
Top Bottom