• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 carbine question

Hey guys,

I just bought an M1 carbine from a neighbor and am having some problems with it and did not know if you guys could help because I am not a big M1 carbine guy and this is my first M1 carbine.
Its a Quality Hardware M1 and no matter what magazine I use (tried several 15 and 30rd mags) the weapon fires one round and ejects the casing but the bolt does not travel back far enough to grab and chamber another round from the magazine. So after you fire a round it fires and ejects but when you pull the trigger again, you hear click. Then you have to manually chamber a round. So the bolt is not traveling back far enough.

Now I have disassembled, cleaned and checked the gas port, bushing area and all is clear. Does not appear to be any problems with that and I have checked the bolt and it seems to be ok. I lubed the chamber area also and the weapon still will only fire one round and eject the casing but wont go back far enough to grab that round.

I cant believe its an ammo issue because its brand new, right out of the box Remington factory .30 cal ammo.

So I guess the only thing I can think of that I need to replace is the recoil spring and gas tube/guide rod assembly. What do you guys think is going on with this M1?

thanks in advance,
Rob

Replace the recoil spring first. A lot of people put "high speed recoil springs" in their M1 carbines over the years and they're usually a curse.

Back
Top Bottom