M1 Carbine--Who is the go-to gunsmith in MA?

They repaired the hammer on my 1812 Springfield; the left side of the screw hole was cracked through.

t
View attachment 348034

Nice save.

I just helped a friend restore his dad's Brown Bess (just a Jap import for the bicentennial, but it meant a lot to him, because his father had recently passed.

Go-to guy for that was a fellow named Jim Casco, in Middletown Springs Vt. Casco Historical Arms Service.

He's like Numrich for black powder/muskets. He happened to have a replacement hammer which had been unobtanium for years.

Thanks for the post.

Pullman does amazing work but with the dimensional damage (I can here Dan hemming and hawing) on the receiver I'd be inclined to talk to the smiths at CMP and Fulton also. Peening might be a good option as Mac1911 mentioned.

I assume you have to get a new bolt. Hopefully you threw out the bad one with the bad mags :D

Pullman does amazing work but with the dimensional damage (I can here Dan hemming and hawing) on the receiver I'd be inclined to talk to the smiths at CMP and Fulton also. Peening might be a good option as Mac1911 mentioned.

I assume you have to get a new bolt. Hopefully you threw out the bad one with the bad mags :D
Poking around other forums theres not many dedicated M1 carbine guys left.
Few people I trust for information said fulton and CMP also. Wait times will be long no matter what but how long has thing sat in a closet. Is another 6 months to a year to long?
if I had a field gauge i would say take my bolt and field gauge and see if it passes and see how it functions.

Update/response to MAC1911's conversation query re; gunsmiths:

OK. Thanks for the input.

After conferring with some very experienced guys on a carbine board, I think I am going to go ahead and handle the most obvious aspects of the repair--and then proceed cautiously with a function-testing and inspection regime.

I might not be able to fix any problems identified--but I will definitely be able to competently alert the owner to any existing hazards.

I messaged back and forth with some very knowledgeable guys, and they suggested beginning with a de-burr, using a stone and oil, on both upper and lower surfaces of the lug races.

I have my own approach to addressing the peening pretty much figured out.

I have a set of headspace gauges coming in early next week, and a line on a couple excellent bolts. I'll decide which one when the time comes. After confirming headspace, I think I'll fabricate a bolt-lapping tool and scare up some dykem blue and just make sure that the bolts lugs have good even support. If they don't, if something is off with the receiver geometry and only 1 of the lugs is bearing the recoil, then that answers that. The owner has either a very expensive parts kit or a very nice wall-hanger.

Thanks again for the effort and the input.

All the best.

For bolt lapping, go to 7:35

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZjVJb0tRk

Last edited:
Update/response to MAC1911's conversation query re; gunsmiths:

OK. Thanks for the input.

After conferring with some very experienced guys on a carbine board, I think I am going to go ahead and handle the most obvious aspects of the repair--and then proceed cautiously with a function-testing and inspection regime.

I might not be able to fix any problems identified--but I will definitely be able to competently alert the owner to any existing hazards.

I messaged back and forth with some very knowledgeable guys, and they suggested beginning with a de-burr, using a stone and oil, on both upper and lower surfaces of the lug races.

I have my own approach to addressing the peening pretty much figured out.

I have a set of headspace gauges coming in early next week, and a line on a couple excellent bolts. I'll decide which one when the time comes. After confirming headspace, I think I'll fabricate a bolt-lapping tool and scare up some dykem blue and just make sure that the bolts lugs have good even support. If they don't, if something is off with the receiver geometry and only 1 of the lugs is bearing the recoil, then that answers that. The owner has either a very expensive parts kit or a very nice wall-hanger.

Thanks again for the effort and the input.

All the best.

For bolt lapping, go to 7:35

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZjVJb0tRk

Nice, looking forward to the progress.

Last edited:
i would call Harry of Noah's Motors (781) 233-1616

my friend shipped his dads M1 carbine to Fulton a few years back. Just shy of a complete refinish it came back looking good and working great.
Fulton Armory

Thanks for the recommendation! We have a new website if anyone is interested, www.noahsmotors.com

Back
Top Bottom