M1 Carbines

they're like a grown up 22, you can shoot them all day!
especially running home spun cast bullets with a free mold and lead brass.
only thing I,paid $ for are the primers . The press (pro1000 in 30carbine) has long paid for itself

So speaking of Blue Sky Imports, what are they worth today? Think I paid about that price five years ago!

A lot of people will pass on them because of the import mark and the damage it purportedly caused to some barrels way back when. Expect a good 25% hit on the price.

A lot of people will pass on them because of the import mark and the damage it purportedly caused to some barrels way back when. Expect a good 25% hit on the price.
And then a 200% mark up when they install a USGI barrel on one of those blue sky imports. I have a Blue Sky stamed M1 carbine its my best shooter

To this day nobody has ever shown a rifle from Blue Sky that was damaged from stamping. It's a bad rumor from years ago.

To this day nobody has ever shown a rifle from Blue Sky that was damaged from stamping. It's a bad rumor from years ago.
IIRC the rumor was also leaning on the M1 Garands? A real old timer told me that started when blue sky did not know better and was actually stamping the gas cylinder? Again all in the words . I think the big problem is many blue sky imports where in rough shape. My friends dad has one that the barrel darn near smooth bore , had some heavy corrosion last 5” of barrel when he got it.

IIRC the rumor was also leaning on the M1 Garands? A real old timer told me that started when blue sky did not know better and was actually stamping the gas cylinder? Again all in the words . I think the big problem is many blue sky imports where in rough shape. My friends dad has one that the barrel darn near smooth bore , had some heavy corrosion last 5” of barrel when he got it.

I had a blue sky M1, but the barrel was shot out and I had a brand new USGI barrel. Not a Blue Sky anymore.

Last edited:
I have a blue sky that I picked up many moons ago.All I had to do was replace the stock,that carbine still shoots great today.

I bought a Garand that has an import mark on the gas cylinder. It wasn't a Blue Sky but I had to chuckle at putting the import mark there.

From Midway:
The backstory:

After years of effort, our Supplier has been successful in securing a large lot of U.S. made M1 Carbines and MidwayUSA has purchased all of them! These M1 Carbines have not been arsenal refurbished. Per our supplier, these guns are believed to have come directly from use in the European theatre of WWII, eventually making their way to the Italian Armed forces. From there they went to the Carabinieri – the Italian National Police - and have been in storage since the early 1950s. There are no records indicating how the Italian Armed Forces came into possession of these WWII M1 Carbines.

These guns are a piece of history and prime examples of wartime production. They are still ‘as assembled’ during the rapid mass production of WWII. These guns have not been reworked at an arsenal nor refinished at any point. As the US spooled up its wartime production of military guns, it was necessary for multiple manufacturers to work together to complete production of a single working M1 Carbine. Not all receiver manufacturers made barrels and many used barrels from multiple sources. The barrels are appropriate to the receiver as they were manufactured. There are variations among these guns, including sights, safeties, gas blocks, etc. Variations were common during the years these guns were manufactured. Small parts may have been replaced during the war due to normal field use and maintenance. In service during the war, these M1 Carbines were then placed in storage for almost 70 years by the Italian government.

Import markings are engraved, not roll stamped, so the bore was not distorted by the marking process. These discrete markings are on the underside of the barrel and adhere to current ATF marking requirements.

The NRA Firearm Condition Standards for guns of this era, listed below, served as our guide for grading. We made a visual inspection of the external surfaces of the firearm and checked the actions for operational status (ensuring the charging handle operates the bolt). These guns have not been disassembled or test fired so working condition is unknown.

Fine: All original parts and configuration, or possibly a very minor alteration from original configuration that was made during the period of use (WWII). Sharp markings, only minor stock blemishes. Retains at least 90% of original finish.

Very Good to Fine: All original parts and configuration, or possibly a very minor alteration from original configuration that was made during the period of use (WWII). No corrosion or pitting, minor scratches only. Retains at least 60% of original finish.

Good to Very Good: Markings are legible. There may be replaced parts, minor repairs and light pitting. Stocks may be worn or cracked but should be serviceable. Retains at least 60% of original finish.

Fair to Good: May be well worn, showing visible repair or replacement parts, or needing adjustment or minor repair. Metal may be rusted or pitted. May have cracked or broken stocks. May retain less than 60% of original finish.

The only reason I can see people dropping this kind of money of they are collecting for specifics. Someone that wants a particular manufacturer with a certain setup.
Everyday shooters, no way.

Started to get a hankering for these as of late but between the sky-high prices and the thought of adding a new caliber and dies and mags and projectiles etc ive been able to hold off pulling the trigger.

They are all sold out.

And btw with that import mark they show, those have been here for at least 20 years. ATF changed how import marks had to be done way back around the turn of the century. Someone made a good return on that investment after storing them in a warehouse for a couple of decades. Love to know what they initially paid to get them here.

I am SO TEMPTED!!! But TWO THINGS, first is what Commander Spock said "SOMETIMES HAVING IS NOT SO PLEASING AS WANTING"

SECOND

I already have two Winchesters from CMP, one bought in 2009 for $650 and the other in 2016 for $685. Granted they both were rearsenaled and have bayonet lugs, although I have 2 barrel bands without lugs if I wanted to change them.

I have sold my Garand and my 03A3 planning to stick with carbines, I have the 2 Winchesters, 2 Jungle Carbines and 2 Mosin Carbines ('39 '44) so don't REALLY need a third M1 Carbine BUT....

If I get one it would be the Quality Hardware. It would be a neat to have one direct from WWII (via Italy) but that is a lot of money for something I have two of already

They are all sold out.

And btw with that import mark they show, those have been here for at least 20 years. ATF changed how import marks had to be done way back around the turn of the century. Someone made a good return on that investment after storing them in a warehouse for a couple of decades. Love to know what they initially paid to get them here.

They show as "temporarily unavailable" because they don't open the ordering window until 4 day 12 hours from now

Started to get a hankering for these as of late but between the sky-high prices and the thought of adding a new caliber and dies and mags and projectiles etc ive been able to hold off pulling the trigger.
These are being sold without magazines. So technically you don't have to add mags to your collection. If that helps. Hahahhaha

jpm
What are the differences in the import markings between then and now?

They changed them because importers were making them too small and sometimes using foreign characters in the serial numbers or only part of the serial numbers making things difficult to trace. So they made them do the FUGLY billboard type you see these days that you cannot miss from 20 feet away.

They show as "temporarily unavailable" because they don't open the ordering window until 4 day 12 hours from now

Oh and one other thing - Midway doesn't honor C&R FFLs. So you can't have it shipped direct to you, it will need to go to an FFL that will transfer to you.

These are engraved vs. Dot Matrix; under the barrel.
t

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.07.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.07.48 PM.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom