• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbines

N A T I O N A L P O S T A L M E T E R crossed with a W I N C H E S T E R.......if the letters = DNA, then the resulting child would be....a/an

I-M
-N-ERWOO-
ROC--OLA
INLAN-
IRWIN PE-ERSON (spelled it wrong) [banghead]
-UALIT- HARD-ARE
STAN-ARD PRO-UCTS
SA-INAW

Need more genetic variation. Yes, I DO have that kind of time on my hands.

t

Last edited:
I dont know alot about carbines, have a few to fill that WWII small arms slot. If and when I get a gun that pelts me with brass I wear a hat and pull the brim down hard and tighten up my cheekweld.

One of mine throws brass into my forehead and I get little half moon cuts from it. I don't remember which one it was, but the next time I find it. it will get a new extractor. That is typically yhr cause.

One of mine throws brass into my forehead and I get little half moon cuts from it. I don't remember which one it was, but the next time I find it. it will get a new extractor. That is typically yhr cause.
Try a new ejector first and look to see what slide you have. I installed a new USGI extractor on one of mine and it made it worse!
Best results for me was a new ejector and a few coils cut of a wolf spring.

Some photos of my Underwood:

The serial number places it within the last 4000 carbines that Underwood made in their first production run, so November 1942. It has a Rock-ola barrel with no date and a Winchester stock, along with a two-rivet handguard. The right side of the stock has the Winchester cartouche marks. The left side has Springfield Armory cartouche marks from the post-war rebuild. There is a SA marked adjustable sight added during the post-war refit. It has a flat bolt, not a round bolt. I have a bolt tool coming this week. I am very pleased with this carbine.

I am looking for suggestions on cleaning up the stock a bit, if possible. However, I don't want to mess up the cartouche marks. Any thoughts??

IMG_20200510_144221.jpg IMG_20200510_144259.jpg IMG_20200510_144439.jpg IMG_20200510_144505.jpg IMG_20200510_144532.jpg IMG_20200510_150545.jpg IMG_20200510_150558.jpg IMG_20200510_150648.jpg IMG_20200510_150707.jpg IMG_20200510_151157.jpg IMG_20200510_155841.jpg

N1oty,

You can try my process if you like the pics. Hot water and Dawn dish liquid. I used a synthetic dish brush. Paper towel dry. Cut BLO, let sit 30, wipe off, continue until no more is absorbed. Took me 8 coats over 3 days. A little stain to blend the stock if needed.

My range is now open; hope to get it out in the next couple days.

t
0A9A6A06-5E09-440B-8BAA-700D7FEEB290.jpeg

The serial number places it within the last 4000 carbines that Underwood made in their first production run, so November 1942. It has a Rock-ola barrel with no date and a Winchester stock, along with a two-rivet handguard. The right side of the stock has the Winchester cartouche marks. The left side has Springfield Armory cartouche marks from the post-war rebuild. There is a SA marked adjustable sight added during the post-war refit. It has a flat bolt, not a round bolt. I have a bolt tool coming this week. I am very pleased with this carbine.

I am looking for suggestions on cleaning up the stock a bit, if possible. However, I don't want to mess up the cartouche marks. Any thoughts??

View attachment 356079

I just wipe mine down with Hoppes a few times until I like the looks, then if it needs it I'll add some linseed oil.

Real simple. Mix up equal parts turpentine and BLO and use cheesecloth or a facecloth/terrycloth wetted with the mixture to clean the stock. Keep wetting and using a clean spot as the cloth gets dirty and just wipe down the whole stock with it. Go over real dirty areas a couple of times if you like. When you're done just let it sit and try on its own and it should look great.

IMO cleaning the stock and then saturating it with oil is not a good idea. The armory dipped the new stocks once or twice and let them dry, they didn't saturate them. Wood saturated with oil will break down over time.

View attachment 356079View attachment 356080View attachment 356081View attachment 356082View attachment 356083View attachment 356084View attachment 356085View attachment 356086View attachment 356087View attachment 356088View attachment 356089
I like to start with a soft brush , like a leather shoe brush. Then I will mix up a small batch of sudsy dish soapy water. I then just scoop up suds with the brush and gently scrub and wipe with bounty towels. This often gets the crud off. The Linseed oil and cheese cloth works well also.

When I want it CLEAN its purple power or simple green more scrubbing. this is for no value wood

Darn! I guess my friend got a fire sale deal when he picked up a Universal (yes, I know) for $150.
Thing is, it functions flawlessly...so far. Quite simply, a fun and accurate little shooter!

And done. Went back together with a minimum fuss. The long time between posts, however, was me figuring out how to get the stuck bit of paper towel out of the firing pin channel. Finally used a brass drill bit on reverse. [banghead]

Oh, it has a Winchester extractor and a NL-Q (National Lock-Quality Hardware ) firing pin.

Ready for the range tomorrow.

t
B854B874-DAF0-442A-AB88-890ED722F755.jpeg

Last edited:
I would not be satisfied with paying for an "excellent/unissued" and getting that. The bayonet looks like it but not the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom