• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand experts help needed!

So...I was lucky enough to stumble upon a collection of Garands...I'm getting them all for the same price...I only want one and I'm going to sell the others

I wanted the opinions of those of you who know WAY more about garands than me on what I should keep and what I should sell.

Here's the list

Springfield Armory (with '52 dated bbl)
s/n: 2802xx

Winchester (with winchester bbl)
s/n: 25235xxx

H&R (with '43 dated bbl)
s/n: 46742xx

Springfield Armory (tanker model with arlington ordnance bbl)
s/n: 36127xxx

I'll also be picking up an M1D sniper
Springfield Armory (no dates on bbl)
s/n: 3873xx

and an Underwood M1 Carbine
Underwood bbl with flaming bomb dated '43
s/n: 26566xx

any and all help on any of these guns is greatly appreciated...ive done some research, but know there are some aficionados on here!

What one are you really after ?
Are the sniper and tanker the real deal or reproductions
Go to the CMP web site under sales and read through the rateings for condition
Personally I wont pay more for what the CMP sells them for unless there is something special about them.

I wouldnt sell them off unless its a finacial reason. Do some research. They dont eat, well unless of course you feed them a steady diet of 06.

There is no such thing as a "real deal" tanker. They are all after-market mods.

I'm partial to the HRA, but the '43 barrel is non-original obviously, so I'd want to know ME and TE, as well as bore condition. In fact, ME/TE and bore condition would drive much of my decision.

Given equal condition of all, I'd keep the Winchester for sure. And if you can swing it, I like mac1911's advice on keeping all, or as many as possible.

H&R (with '43 dated bbl)
s/n: 46742xx

Can you check this again? My information shows that an HRA M1 with this serial number would have been built about March or April of 1954. I could believe a '53 barrel as original equipment, maybe. I find it hard to believe that they had a '43 barrel to use on this.

My personal experience with the (admittedly few) HRAs I have seen is that none of them were shot enough to warrant being re-barreled. This one just might have an original barrel if it is in fact a '53.

Everything depends on the price.......

The Winchester and M1D could bring the total values up, but the "Tanker" will bring it down some.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm
Start here
As noted unless they are special in some way you need to start with condition, bore, throat and muzzle wear.
Heres a little cut and copy from the CMP

M1D Garand "Sniper" Model

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1DS*
M1D Garand, SA (Springfield) Service Grade
Good Condition - Limited Quantity
(No accessories or scope)
*See below for grade description
$1500

RM1DF
M1D Field Grade.
See CMP Grading Criteria near top of this page.
$1200

RM1DR
M1D Rack Grade
See CMP Grading Criteria near top of this page.
$900

*RM1DS (Service Grade M1D): Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood may be walnut, birch, beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches, gouges; wood may not match in color or type of wood; bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, but muzzle will gauge less than "3" and the throat erosion will gauge less than "5".

These rifles will not come with the scope and mount, leather cheek pad, flash hider or any other accoutrement that may have been issued with M1D rifles.

The scope base that is part of the barrel assembly is included and ready for a customer supplied scope and mount. The original accesories, scope,mount,cheekpad ect ect can run as much as a rifle sometimes.
Last batch of guns I purchased to get the1 I wanted I basically did this
Purchased 4 guns for 1200.00 or 300.00 each now I know 2 of the guns are not worht 300.00 so I just did a little adjusting. and sold off the unwanted items at a good deal. which was about 35% less than if you wallked into a gun shop. They sold quickly and I recovered all but my original purchase I was after

last note: if it wasnt for the CMP forums and some honest folks I would have piad 1000.00+ for a rack grade garand ! Do your research or hook some friends and shooters up with some good deals!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom