M1 Garand Matches

Congrats on picking up a Garand! What a fantastic rifle. You have proper food for it?

Old Colony in Pembroke has well attended matches every month from April through November. Always a M1 Garand match followed by a rotating schedule of Modern Military, Vintage Military, and Springfield matches. There's a new match at Ames and Mac's local club Hanson has a more casual CMP match once a month. I have not attended yet, but there are CMP matches in CT as well. Maybe some in NH? If you go to Pembroke, there are some skilled and experienced shooters there who can help provide a 'clinic' before and during a match.

A few of us regularly commute from the Central MA / Worcester area to Pembroke and even share rides from time to time. Welcome to join the wagon train and @Dakar652 will even share his snacks- just don't eat the red Crayolas as those are his favorites. :D

The Milsurp forum on NES is a pretty good place for help with Garands. The CMP forum is pretty good as well. The M14 forum has some good info for Garands, but to get to the highly experienced and helpful guys you may have to wade through some easily offended know-it-alls.

I highly encourage attending a match- it's a really good time and your skills will definitely improve over time. CMP has a big regional 'Travel Games' match at Camp Ethan Allen, Vermont, in September. It's a blast, located in a gorgeous setting, and the top shooters in the country will be there- folks who regularly win at Perry. Folks are very nice and extremely helpful- overall it's a very positive environment. Join the fun!

Thank you all for the help and kind words. I have been/will keep stocking up on Garand food. Took it out once and now realize why the greatest generation loves this rifle. It’s awesome. As the weather gets nice I will def be planning a trip to some matches.

In addition to what Mountain referenced above..... Give the rifle a detail strip, inspection and clean.

Had a guy at my club ask me to look at his Garand as it wasn't holding a group. Met up with him today and noticed/fixed several items which contributed : front gas cylinder was loose - barrel splined needed peening; rear sight elevation was moving between shots - tightened that up. After, the rifle was holding groups in the black on an SR-1 with PPU ammo. The rifle, a nice Winchester 2.46 Mixmaster, was recently purchased via private sale.....

Something else to check is the stock fitment - this is mostly related to new stocks.

Leominster Sportsmen's has "any rifle/any sights" matches Sunday mornings through the end of March - shoot 20 shots standing in 20 minutes - perfect for an M1! Come on down! www.lsa-ma.org

Do you know if non-members can participate?
If so, I'd love to find out more about it!
All CMP/NRA Matches of any kind, no matter where they are, are open to non-members of that club. It used to be that you had to be in the NRA to shoot an NRA match, but that was changed to "NRA members are given precedent in cases of over-capacity attendance", and now I don't think they stipulate even that.

All CMP/NRA Matches of any kind, no matter where they are, are open to non-members of that club. It used to be that you had to be in the NRA to shoot an NRA match, but that was changed to "NRA members are given precedent in cases of over-capacity attendance", and now I don't think they stipulate even that.
just to echo a little of the above. CMP events welcome and want new shooters.
Also what you want to do is search local clubs as not all CMP "matches/clinics" are sanctioned or "authorized" by cmp.
Hanson Rod and Gun is one such club.
Hanson runs a CMP/NRA highpower shoot.
its laid back. No scores are turned in to CMP or NRA and there are No trinkets or winners . Other than following the course of fire its a shoot as you will event. From bench,positions, heck some times I use 3 different guns for one course of fire.
Hanson runs 1st Sat 8am and 3rd Sunday 11am 100 yards 60 round course of fire 10 sighters 50 for score.

You can go here and poke around for matches by state
CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Upcoming Competitions and Events

hope to get to some of these matches. I tried the M16 match this past September CMP travel games in VT. I sucked but I really enjoyed it!

hope to get to some of these matches. I tried the M16 match this past September CMP travel games in VT. I sucked but I really enjoyed it!
You are aware that in New England you can shoot that type of match on either/both days of every weekend between May-Oct?

You are aware that in New England you can shoot that type of match on either/both days of every weekend between May-Oct?
I remember seeing a relatively comprehensive schedule for 2018 on this forum so was waiting on the 2019 one to be published. But if there's a set of schedules out already, would love to know

like this one? -> Schedule

Last edited:
I remember seeing a relatively comprehensive schedule for 2018 on this forum so was waiting on the 2019 one to be published. But if there's a set of schedules out already, would love to know

like this one? -> Schedule
You should see schedules popping up usually by march.
For the most part the schedules are pretty close to the same days as previous years. So you can get a rough idea of where and when you might be able to go for 2019 and when the final schedules come out gou can fine tune your trips.
Im looking for Reading HP schedule so I can plan a few 600 yard days. I want to run my AR , M1a and M1 garand in 308 ATC 2019. Maybe try to sneak one trip to NH?

You should see schedules popping up usually by march.
For the most part the schedules are pretty close to the same days as previous years. So you can get a rough idea of where and when you might be able to go for 2019 and when the final schedules come out gou can fine tune your trips.
Im looking for Reading HP schedule so I can plan a few 600 yard days. I want to run my AR , M1a and M1 garand in 308 ATC 2019. Maybe try to sneak one trip to NH?

My friend who goes to Pelham said that they have CMP matches too so it does sound like there are lots to go to. Just need to see the schedule so I can start planning. I sometimes feel my weekends are busier than my regular working weekdays!

My friend who goes to Pelham said that they have CMP matches too so it does sound like there are lots to go to. Just need to see the schedule so I can start planning. I sometimes feel my weekends are busier than my regular working weekdays!
Yes , i would love to see the schedules out already , I plan all my matches as soon as I get the schedules. Baby sitters are the big hurtle. My kids are to young to play and to board to come and just watch.

In addition to what Mountain referenced above..... Give the rifle a detail strip, inspection and clean.

Had a guy at my club ask me to look at his Garand as it wasn't holding a group. Met up with him today and noticed/fixed several items which contributed : front gas cylinder was loose - barrel splined needed peening; rear sight elevation was moving between shots - tightened that up. After, the rifle was holding groups in the black on an SR-1 with PPU ammo. The rifle, a nice Winchester 2.46 Mixmaster, was recently purchased via private sale.....

Something else to check is the stock fitment - this is mostly related to new stocks.

Thanks for the advice. Ended up buying a CMP special with the new stock, new barrel, reparkerized parts. Hi numbered Garand Springfield made towards the end of production. Still learning detail strip, etc.

Back
Top Bottom