M1 Garand Postal Match- Congrats daekken and Dakar 652!!!

Mountain

NES Member
Well, the D's have it:

Congrats to daekken for posting a 96 from his official CMP JC Garand Match score card. Nice job, and dammit now matches just became more difficult for everyone. [smile]

Congrats to Dakar652 for winning the random drawing. My lovely assistant (Mrs. Mountain) drew names out of a hat since the random number generator can't be random if it never picks post #1, LOL. Coincidentally, his 95-2X

Thank you everyone who participated and a special thanks to our honorary RSO's mac1911 and dw617.

I'll contact the winners and get prizes out later this week.

[party][party]

Get that Garand out of the closet for a postal match!

About 2 years ago mac1911 had a karma that covered entry and ammo to a CMP JC Garand match at Old Colony. I won the karma and had a great time and kept coming back for more, eventually getting a CMP Special Garand and then building a National Match. Since then, the match attendance has been decent but not proportionate to all the new Garand owners we see on the forum. I get that not everyone is up for a match, or that life gets in the way. But dammit, "the greatest battle implement ever devised" is a working piece of history and most of its beauty is in how well it shoots! So here's the plan to get more folks shooting these fine pieces of metal and wood:

Postal Match Rules

-Honor system as far as following the rules go...
-10 shots on a printable SR-1 target center from 100 yards; your choice- prone with sling, sitting or kneeling with sling, or standing off-hand. No bench shooting unless you have a physical handicap that prevents you from using one of the 'official' positions. If you need a SR-1 target center to print, try here: http://bisonballistics.com/downloads/nra-sr-1-target-200-yard-reduced-for-100-yards
-The only acceptable substitute for the SR-1 target would be a score card from a CMP match, either 100 or 200 yards. I will count the slow fire prone stage.
-Enter as many times as you want for top score.
-To enter, post / PM / email / snail mail me a pic of your Garand (can be a borrowed Garand) with each target shot, and also send a close up of the target so that I can score it. Have a family member or friend shoot your Garand and enter them too!
-There will be two winners: top score and also a random drawing for everyone who enters.
-Ties will be broken 1) via number of X-ring hits and if still a tie 2) via first to submit their target.
-All M1 Garands are OK, so long as it has iron sights. Standard, BM59's, Navy .308's, National Match, etc.- all are OK. Sorry snipers, no scopes.
-Contest will close ~September 24th when I return from the CMP New England Games in Vermont. It's a great match in a beautiful setting- I highly recommend it. http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-travel-games/new-england-games/
-Targets submitted must have at least one hit.
-Top score agrees to have his/her target pic posted on this thread.

Fabulous Prizes (LOL)

-Except for bragging rights, the prizes for top score and the random drawing are exactly the same:
-$50 Cabelas gift card.
-Surplus bandoleer with inserts and enbloc clips (sorry, no ammo- use the gift card...).
-two .30 cal quality USA-made bronze bore brushes.
-One single load device (SLED)
-Top score winner not eligible for the random drawing. For the random drawing, one chance for each person. As mentioned, you can enter for top score as many times as you want.

Disclaimer:

Be safe and follow all laws! If you do something bone-headed, it's your responsibility!

That's it- I gotta catch a plane. Please post or PM if you have questions, perhaps I'm missing something. Please be patient if it takes me a while to respond while I'm traveling.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Oh-

Want to enter and don't have a Garand? Have a recently acquired Garand and looking for instruction?

Look for the OCSA match and clinic- they have tack-driving club Garands and great folks who can get you on paper. There is also a clinic at the CMP New England Games. Others can chime in, but IIRC there are other clubs with clinics and club guns.

I am now regretting not taking a picture of my last score card. 99 in slow prome ! My last shot was the 9. Looks like I'll have to refire and capture the evidence this time :)

I am now regretting not taking a picture of my last score card. 99 in slow prome ! My last shot was the 9. Looks like I'll have to refire and capture the evidence this time :)
Hate when that happens.....that's like missing the last target in clays 99s just piss you off after you miss the last bird.. I was pulling for you

With two neck fusions, I can't do prone. Does that mean I bench, or try sitting first?

t

Tim, whatever you can handle is good by me. If I had two neck fusions? No prone for sure.

LOL, match starts as of my first post. No pressure for you to repeat that score. [smile]

Very nice. I should be able to do a target by Sept. 24th to get in the random prize bucket.

Ok; my first try. Lousy conditions- 85F, HHH, partly sunny, light breeze. Mix '78 and '69 HXP. Very hard to separate the three targets with the shimmering heat. Shot from the bench. I thought the sights were set, but apparently not. Target 1= 34, 2= 79, 3= 82. I know I can do mid 90's.

5/44 Winchester, Danish return

T

P.S. Forgot to look for the turtle.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ok; my first try. Lousy conditions- 85F, HHH, partly sunny, light breeze. Mix '78 and '69 HXP. Very hard to separate the three targets with the shimmering heat. Shot from the bench. I thought the sights were set, but apparently not. Target 1= 34, 2= 79, 3= 82. I know I can do mid 90's.

5/44 Winchester, Danish return

T

P.S. Forgot to look for the turtle.

Nice! And thanks for kicking this off.

My rifle range had their second Garand match of the season today. The skill level of shooters ranges from none to experienced; there was only one other experienced shooter there next to me - so I treated it more like a practice run. Still a good time. HXP is provided with the match fee of $20. I was given 3 20rnd boxes of '69 out of a fresh spam can.

This is 20 shots during the slow prone stage at 100 yards on SR1 targets; so not to the rules of the Postal Match but still fun to see what HXP can do especially when it's all the same lot number.

http://i.imgur.com/eHjOMQg.jpg

Last edited:
My rifle range had their second Garand match of the season today. The skill level of shooters ranges from none to experienced; there was only one other experienced shooter there next to me - so I treated it more like a practice run. Still a good time. HXP is provided with the match fee of $20. I was given 3 20rnd boxes of '69 out of a fresh spam can.

This is 20 shots during the slow prone stage at 100 yards on SR1 targets; so not to the rules of the Postal Match but still fun to see what HXP can do especially when it's all the same lot number.

Looks like you are sighted in and/or holding perfectly.

That's a pretty good deal for the match. Which club? PM if you like...

It's Westwood Gun Club. They have 2 Garand matches a year and this was their second and last of the season. Match fee is $20 for members, $40 for non-members. They opened up their last can of HXP and mentioned that the club ammo for next year will be PPU.

33 cents per round I hope they are sitting on a boat load of it. Are they not planning to replace the ammo ? Do they know HXP for clubs (if CMP has any left ) is now sold by the amount you shoot at the matches. One club I go to shoots aprox. 7500-10,000 rounds a year average and was buying large amounts every few years. They where only allowed to by 4k rounds of HXP this time around. As they have not been keeping up with the affiliation and where not keeping good records of ammo used
I don't know what clubs get for a discount for the new production stuff but clubs need to really stock up to keep prices down.

there is not much wrong with HXP same lot numbers are good to have. For the most part the HXP will be good enough for keeping them in the black. You will how ever see variations in year to year production runs.
I didn't take pictures but lined up my last mixed bag of HXP from the CMP you could see differences in bullet profiles not huge but when you line up 50 or so mixed cartridges spanning 10 years differences start standing out.

Last edited:
33 cents per round I hope they are sitting on a boat load of it. Are they not planning to replace the ammo ? Do they know HXP for clubs (if CMP has any left ) is now sold by the amount you shoot at the matches. One club I go to shoots aprox. 7500-10,000 rounds a year average and was buying large amounts every few years. They where only allowed to by 4k rounds of HXP this time around. As they have not been keeping up with the affiliation and where not keeping good records of ammo used
I don't know what clubs get for a discount for the new production stuff but clubs need to really stock up to keep prices down.

See my last comment above. They run the matches for fun and I strongly doubt they are a "CMP Affiliated" club although I could be wrong. I get the sense they buy ammo as needed as individual purchases via one of the club officers.

Gave the Winny another chance. Much better conditions; 73F, breezy. Mixed HXP- '69, '71, '78, and '82. Started center, tried to practice on the upper black dot, but hit upper left on the target, so I just continued. 1= 91 no"X"', 2 = 93 1-"X", and 3 = 91 1-"X", but the best group. Looks like two hits in the same hole.

Frisky little critter; hurled the brass 5 to 17 feet, from 2:00 to 5:00. Could only find 29 of 32 cases.

Feel a little better now. Will try the Springfield next week.

Couldn't find the turtle.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpg
    IMG_3152.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'd watch out for that turtle- might be a sneak attack in the works.

Tim, you notice any difference in mixed HXP reloads vs. single year reloads?

I had to pack 2 of the enblocs, taking rounds from Swedish strippers for the M03/03A3. I think target 3 had 6 '82s. For a while I shot pure '69 out of a tin (got 4). Had the odd flyer. Would make sense that rounds of the same lot would be a little more consistent in both fabrication and accuracy as compared to mixed years. I don't think I'm really good enough to prove if there is a difference.

When I take out the Springfield, I'll try all '69. My office is currently in the kitchen, waiting for a wood floor on TH. Ammo is literally inaccessible.

t

-10 shots on a printable SR-1 target center from 100 yards; your choice- prone with sling, sitting or kneeling with sling, or standing off-hand.

I don't suppose a half-size target from 50 yards would count? Fifty yards I have in my yard. For 100 yards I'll have drive down to Ripton and pack Betsy and the target stands into Sparks Pit. Which is a PITA because the rangers leave the gate chained.

-Contest will close ~September 24th when I return from the CMP New England Games in Vermont. It's a great match in a beautiful setting- I highly recommend it. http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-travel-games/new-england-games/

I should be there for that. I'll have to look around and see if I can find my NES hat.

I think to keep the top score segment fair, it should be at least 100 yards on the SR-1 or alternately 200 yards in an official CMP match. But... 50 yards on half size completely ok for the random drawing segment . Work for you?

I think to keep the top score segment fair, it should be at least 100 yards on the SR-1 or alternately 200 yards in an official CMP match. But... 50 yards on half size completely ok for the random drawing segment . Work for you?

Sounds good. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and head down to Ripton.

If 50 yards are all you have maybe consider NRA targets TQ-3 , A/23 or a A/27-5 I dont have any printable links for these but they are 50 yard small bore targets. I would suggest using at least 2 TQ-3 targets as 30 cal beats up the score rings pretty badly.
the other target I recomnend the a/27-5 and fire 2 shots per bull.?

if all goes well I will be shooting my postal score Thursday
5 sighters and 10 for score
DkJWZRt.jpg

the rifle

Last edited by a moderator:
as is the issue here and reason for the Postal Match...to pull all the Garands out of the dark corners of peoples safes and get them some love. if I know Ed (which I don't because I just met him, lol) this isn't about people, but the rifles that aren't getting their fair shake at a relaxing life in retirement after their victory in WWII, and appearances in the theatres of Korea and even 'Nam!

there's probably 447 Garands on NES and 5 of us shooting them!

i'll tell you what...if you're reading this thread and want to see what it's like to have your testicles (or ovaries, lets be fair) swell twice their size, and walk around with an erection (or whatever stimulation the other sex experiences) for more than 4 hours with no desire to consult a physician...you can come to my range with me at Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club in Boylston any day after work this week or next, and I'll let you use one of MY garands, and MY ammo, and i'll run you through the basics to get you on paper with one of these fabulous weapons.

when you're comfortable, i'll set you up at 100 yards with an SR-1 and help you qualify for this postal match...maybe not for top score, but definitely for random. periods of instruction would/could include any of the following as necessary - basic safety rules, range courtesy, sight alignment/sight picture, shooting positions, sling use, loading/unloading, snapping in and dry fire, point of aim/point of impact and scoring.

how's that grab ya? anyone here...black or green member...red, yellow, purple or blue, woman/man/gay/bi/tri/trans/tanned/pale...i really don't give a shit except that you support the 2nd amendment and aren't going to blow your brains out with one of my rifles...because then I wouldn't get to shoot that rifle for a while probably. PM or post in the thread that you're interested and we'll set something up.

when you're comfortable, i'll set you up at 100 yards with an SR-1 and help you qualify for this postal match...maybe not for top score, but definitely for random. periods of instruction would/could include any of the following as necessary - basic safety rules, range courtesy, sight alignment/sight picture, shooting positions, sling use, loading/unloading, snapping in and dry fire, point of aim/point of impact and scoring.
Dude, you're going to hurt my odds in the random [smile]. In all seriousness nice offer to folks.
I did up about 30 rds of a test load on Sunday (giving Varget another go), planning a few sighters and then 1 or 2 targets. I think I'll go with the service grade instead of the CMP special, just because. I'll plan on doing some special targets later. Since I don't have a spotting scope, the ten will be "blind."
Probably next week. Today is my first time out with the Enfield.

Back
Top Bottom