M1 Garand Postal Match- Congrats daekken and Dakar 652!!!

Do you have corrected vision?

Yes; but I have vision damage from post concussion syndrome. In addition to -4/-6 nearsighted, astigmatism, tinting, and bifocals, I am cross eyed along with cognitive and executive functioning impairments. I went through 6 months of vision therapy. Next week I have a new eye exam and prescription check.

There's a picture of me with the kid in June of '16, 2 months after I went out on medical disability from teaching, never to return. My eyes were looking in opposite directions. Trying to find it.

t

WOW...that sure is a laundry list working against you.

I guess i'll enjoy my time still being pre 'middle aged' and just settling in to my first prescription (although med student gf says i needed glasses a while ago given the strength of my first prescription)...i guess i've been 'faking it' for a while.

Yes; but I have vision damage from post concussion syndrome. In addition to -4/-6 nearsighted, astigmatism, tinting, and bifocals, I am cross eyed along with cognitive and executive functioning impairments. I went through 6 months of vision therapy. Next week I have a new eye exam and prescription check.

There's a picture of me with the kid in June of '16, 2 months after I went out on medical disability from teaching, never to return. My eyes were looking in opposite directions. Trying to find it.

t

LMAO! That's the shot I needed my roommate Pat to verify before I posted so I didn't get flamed! He said 'That's a Franco 10 all day!'

Franco scored for him last vintage match when we had the T53 throw down and showed him how the Seabeas mark targets...no wonder he beat both my scores :D

I was ready to take the 9 for score, but there's two little splits that go through the line of the 10 ring...I'll take a close up of that hole when I'm at home tonight if i think of it to appease the peanut gallery[rofl]

[rofl][rofl]

LOL, funny we all know what that is. Even without the Seabee 10's he still kicks everyone's butt, which makes those '10's' more memorable.

Here's my official but ineligible entry in the postal match:

IMG_0801.jpg

99-1X, or a Seabee 3X. Creedmoor 'factory' ammo with Lapua projectiles and brass, loaded up in Sweet Home Alabama. I'm lucky the 9 wasn't an 8- I pulled it pretty bad. Usual dark tunnel early AM conditions at my local range, so I think some of the spread is my eyesight, some is my shooting, and a little is the rifle. Anyway, pretty happy with the .308 build. Maybe subtract ~1.5" for my eyes and that's what the .308 is shooting.

Hey Sweeny, we need to calculate a reduced target for those bayo charges. You may need a microscope to find the 10-ring. [laugh]

Last edited:
[rofl][rofl]

LOL, funny we all know what that is. Even without the Seabee 10's he still kicks everyone's butt, which makes those '10's' more memorable.

Here's my official but ineligible entry in the postal match:

View attachment 206429

99-1X, or a Seabee 3X. Creedmoor 'factory' ammo with Lapua projectiles and brass, loaded up in Sweet Home Alabama. I'm lucky the 9 wasn't an 8- I pulled it pretty bad. Usual dark tunnel early AM conditions at my local range, so I think some of the spread is my eyesight, some is my shooting, and a little is the rifle. Anyway, pretty happy with the .308 build. Maybe subtract ~1.5" for my eyes and that's what the .308 is shooting.

Hey Sweeny, we need to calculate a reduced target for those bayo charges. You may need a microscope to find the 10-ring. [laugh]

awesome! now THAT's some good shooting!!! i think you missed your calling. does the TSA know you can shoot like that? i'm gonna have to let them know so they turn you around on your way to China next sunday in time for you to make the match (that i won't be attending either, but still) at OCSA.

awesome! now THAT's some good shooting!!! i think you missed your calling. does the TSA know you can shoot like that? i'm gonna have to let them know so they turn you around on your way to China next sunday in time for you to make the match (that i won't be attending either, but still) at OCSA.

Thank you, thank you...

Mac might have his .308 ready for the Oct OCSA, so we may both bring them despite the .308's being out of competition. As usual, he'll kick my ass in rapids and offhand.

Now I'm a little more bummed about missing the match- wussed out and put a scope on the poo-say gun:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/339276-Wuss-Gun-I-am-officially-a-sell-out-LOL

It was already one-bagger ugly but now with the scope it's a two-bagger. [laugh]

Bump. So, what's the highest score right now, 95?
If I post a photo of my card from yesterday's match (I didn't see the target itself) will that count until someone invariably posts theirs with a higher score? [smile]

Bump. So, what's the highest score right now, 95?
If I post a photo of my card from yesterday's match (I didn't see the target itself) will that count until someone invariably posts theirs with a higher score? [smile]

96[rockon]
x8pefI9.jpg

Hey, we have to shame some of those new M1 owners into giving their rifles a workout and posting targets. One (bullet) hole in paper qualifies for the random drawing.

I already have the SLED's and bandoliers / enblocs and can pick up the Cabelas cards next time I go to the grocery or drug store. Closing this next weekend when I return from VT. Let's say midnight on Sunday...

Hey, we have to shame some of those new M1 owners into giving their rifles a workout and posting targets. One (bullet) hole in paper qualifies for the random drawing.

I already have the SLED's and bandoliers / enblocs and can pick up the Cabelas cards next time I go to the grocery or drug store. Closing this next weekend when I return from VT. Let's say midnight on Sunday...

you could offer up to pay for ammo and gas to the range and still not get more participants. Ex I offered a friend his wife and his friend to pay for the match and breakfast at the club.....no show. I think we have as many people who are willing to play

- - - Updated - - -

you could offer up to pay for ammo and gas to the range and still not get more participants. Ex I offered a friend his wife and his friend to pay for the match and breakfast at the club.....no show. I think we have as many people who are willing to play

- - - Updated - - -

I'm bringing my new Service Grade out to the range later today and have a target printed out to give it a shot once I'm all sighted in.

I'm bringing my new Service Grade out to the range later today and have a target printed out to give it a shot once I'm all sighted in.

Aim small!

- - - Updated - - -

Aim small!

- - - Updated - - -

Aim small!

[thumbsup]

- - - Updated - - -

[thumbsup]

- - - Updated - - -

Something weird going on with the forum. (If this posts twice, must be aliens or Russian hackers)

Well, here's my target. Shot it seated, and man was I unsteady. It's been a while since I've shot iron sights at 100 yards, and it showed. Gotta practice a bunch more!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SM4QFPJ5PkNBb5052

5 hits on the target. 1x9 + 2x8 + 2x7 = 39 pts. Definitely not winning any marksmanship competitions!

Well, here's my target. Shot it seated, and man was I unsteady. It's been a while since I've shot iron sights at 100 yards, and it showed. Gotta practice a bunch more!

5 hits on the target. 1x9 + 2x8 + 2x7 = 39 pts. Definitely not winning any marksmanship competitions!

Hey, that's a good start- nice work! Actually, if you are just getting out to sight in a new acquisition- a 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper might not be that easy to hit. Hit on paper is an entry. You gotta go prone for top score bragging rights.

Did a cotton web sling come with that M1? They work pretty good- almost as good as the expensive match M1907 slings. Suggest grabbing one- most online gun retailers have them, even Amazon. Same one as used on the old school AR's and M14's.

A great way to get a leg up on accurate shooting of a M1 is to come to a CMP match at Old Colony (Pembroke). There are a couple of us who regularly drive 1-1/2 hours to get there for the matches. There are some fantastic shooters who helped me a LOT. Also a really good time.

I'm hoping to get my 'brand new' RM1SpecialField to the range this week for at least one 10-shot SR1.

Hey, that's a good start- nice work! Actually, if you are just getting out to sight in a new acquisition- a 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper might not be that easy to hit. Hit on paper is an entry. You gotta go prone for top score bragging rights.

Did a cotton web sling come with that M1? They work pretty good- almost as good as the expensive match M1907 slings. Suggest grabbing one- most online gun retailers have them, even Amazon. Same one as used on the old school AR's and M14's.

A great way to get a leg up on accurate shooting of a M1 is to come to a CMP match at Old Colony (Pembroke). There are a couple of us who regularly drive 1-1/2 hours to get there for the matches. There are some fantastic shooters who helped me a LOT. Also a really good time.

I started at 25 yards off a rest and got it sighted in there, then moved over to 100 yards off a rest to dial in the zero for 100 yards before shooting my target for score. The shots off the rest were much better - closer to a 2-3 inch group when I fired 8 shots at one of the targets.

I probably could have done better prone but I didn't think to bring a mat to shoot off of and I didn't really feel like laying in the dirt!

A sling didn't come with it, I had a cheap nylon one laying around so I threw it on there since some sling is better than no sling. I do plan on getting something nicer at some point.

I would definitely like to try a CMP match at some point, but I've got a lot of other commitments so making it to one might be tough.

I started at 25 yards off a rest and got it sighted in there, then moved over to 100 yards off a rest to dial in the zero for 100 yards before shooting my target for score. The shots off the rest were much better - closer to a 2-3 inch group when I fired 8 shots at one of the targets.

I probably could have done better prone but I didn't think to bring a mat to shoot off of and I didn't really feel like laying in the dirt!

A sling didn't come with it, I had a cheap nylon one laying around so I threw it on there since some sling is better than no sling. I do plan on getting something nicer at some point.

I would definitely like to try a CMP match at some point, but I've got a lot of other commitments so making it to one might be tough.

Did yours come from the CMP? I think they are supposed to provide a sling. You could probably call them and they'll send you one. Added bonus is talking to the ladies with that sweet Alabama accent.

Did yours come from the CMP? I think they are supposed to provide a sling. You could probably call them and they'll send you one. Added bonus is talking to the ladies with that sweet Alabama accent.

It did come from the CMP. The website says it just comes with a manual, a clip, a chamber flag, and the free hard case, no mention of a sling.

just a service grade not a special I assume.

shooting in the sitting position with out a sling is not very stable IMHO. heck you might have done better off hand.
Its all good and once you and your rifle settle in you will do better.

shooting in the sitting position with out a sling is not very stable IMHO. heck you might have done better off hand.
Its all good and once you and your rifle settle in you will do better.
I was using a sling, although it was in what I believe is called the "hasty" configuration.

I plan on trying again in the prone position next time I hit the range. Just gotta remember to bring my shooting mat.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I was using a sling, although it was in what I believe is called the "hasty" configuration.

I plan on trying again in the prone position next time I hit the range. Just gotta remember to bring my shooting mat.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hast·y

/ˈhāstē/

adjective

adjective: hasty; comparative adjective: hastier; superlative adjective: hastiest

done or acting with excessive speed or urgency; hurried.
"a hasty attempt to defuse the situation"

synonyms: quick, hurried, fast, swift, rapid, speedy, brisk; More
literaryfleet

"hasty steps"

•rash, impetuous, impulsive, reckless, precipitate, spur-of-the-moment, premature, unconsidered, unthinking;
literarytemerarious

"hasty decisions"

antonyms: slow, considered

•acting with with excessive speed or insufficient consideration.
"don't be too hasty in criticizing a colleague"

•archaic
quick-tempered.

IMHO better off with out the sling

I've got a proper 1907 style sling on its way, so soon I'll be able to sling up properly and give it another go.

It did come from the CMP. The website says it just comes with a manual, a clip, a chamber flag, and the free hard case, no mention of a sling.

The SPECIALFIELD that I bought came with nothing - I sent an email (unanswered) and about ten days later a sling showed up in a small box.
Still no manual, chamber flag, or clip. I'm not sweating it tho.

Back
Top Bottom