• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Questions

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to grab some help related to M1 Garand research. I'm trying to find an original pre-1945 manufactured M1 Garand and can't seem to find one at any of the stores in Massachusetts, outside of a few WIN-13 models which I am not interested in. I'm also a bit hesitant to get one online and shipped to an FFL given that it's difficult to trust these postings.

My questions are really a few fold:
  1. Are there reliable places online (outside of directly from the CMP) that you all trust, or have you seen a good place to acquire a Garand?
  2. How difficult is it to find one that is all matching. I'm assuming almost impossible and I shouldn't hold out for one given I may never find one.
  3. Prices. I found a CMP rifle on a website that has a 1942 dated barrel and 1944 stock that costs ~$3,500. Does anyone have a clue as to generally what I should be looking to pay? It seems that anything pre-1945 is 2x the price of something afterwards (I found a few 1950+ rifles that are in the $1,500 range). Does this sound right?
Thanks very much. Really looking for any advice as to where to find one of these. To the extent anyone has one for sale - interested in that as well!

All the Best,
Jon

I have one for sale in the classifieds. 43' receiver and barrel. Take a look.

Do you mean all original parts as originally assembled - none replaced? Pretty much impossible in the wild. Go see those under glass at the Springfield Armory National Historic Site that's the only place they reside.

WWII era Garands with original finish, a matching receiver/barrel combo, all matching part drawing numbers, all era-matching unmarked parts and matching stock, with correct cartouche and no rebuild stamps? There are very few and in almost all cases, someone searched out the correct parts and put them on. You could do this yourself but that's getting expensive especially if you get a Winchester or early Springfield. Later Springfield matching parts are easier to find - designs were changed less frequently and they made a lot of them. Another issue is that the WWII stocks are getting faked a lot - people applying fake cartouches - most are spottable but not all.

Most WWII guns with their original barrels have likely been refinished. These are around, probably $1000. They will likely be all mixed other parts at that price. A matching stock will probably get the price up to $1500. This may be your best option. Gives you the history without the crazy price tag and exposing you to the potential for a big-money mistake. Don't forget that re-barreling and rebuild marks on a gun offer an interesting history too.

Another option if you really want all original parts is to investigate the correct and collector-grade post WWII guns which were sent to Greece and never issued, these were sold by CMP along with a serial numbered certificate a few years ago. These went for $900 or $1400 at the time depending on how pristine they were. Probably cost you under $2000 these days.

Best wishes.

I'd try CMP forums, find one with a manufacturer and/or serial range you want.

Both M1s I got from the CMP were pre-1945 (1942, and 1944). The prices from CMP can't be beat either. I paid under $800 for my service grade, USGI stock, etc.

I'd personally never buy from anyone other than the CMP unless it was something exceedingly rare. Shops are typically a complete rip-off for Garands, again, unless you're looking for something specific like an IHC receiver, or something.

CMP will also help you if you have a problem.

Last edited:
I see them for sale on the CMP forums all the time, you can expect to pay north of $1500 for what you describe. Start here: M1 Garand - CMP Forums
Create an account now before you see something you want and can't post 'I'll take it'. Good ones for reasonable $$ go fast so don't wait.

To find one that is all correct will definitely cost you more and you will have to decide if you want one that was corrected or that was sold by CMP as correct grade which will be even more money. IMO that is going to be the best place to get what you want since the seller will have multiple pictures of all the critical numbered pieces and someone will no doubt call him out if he's wrong. You can also check the person's feedback there to make sure they are a reputable seller.

If you want to pay even more sitll, then try Noah's in Saugus. That'll be your most expensive option other than CMP auctions IMO.

@Jonathan Gilman right now there's 4 available at Four Seasons in Woburn:

The first one sounds like what you're describing. It was made in August 1944 so the barrel could be original.

SpringfieldM1A LOADED.30-063109xxx
$1499.95​
SLING, 5/44 BBL
SpringfieldM1 GARAND30-06657xxx
$1374.95​
HARD CASE, BARREL DATE 11/50 CMP RIFLE
SpringfieldM1 GARAND30-061436xxx
$1374.95​
HARD CASE, BARREL DATE 4/63 CMP RIFLE
SpringfieldM1 GARAND30-06965xxx
$1374.95​
HARD CASE, BARREL DATE 10/63 CMP RIFLE

I’ve got 10 Garands, and I have to say that by far the best place to buy one (non-specific) is directly from the CMP. If you want something specific, your best bet is the CMP forums. Post a WTB ad and you will get several offers with good pictures. Look at the sellers feedback and post count. If they have a good number of posts over several years you can bet that they are good to go. Bad guys don’t last long over there. Having a rifle shipped to an FFL is no big deal at all.

I’ve got 10 Garands, and I have to say that by far the best place to buy one (non-specific) is directly from the CMP. If you want something specific, your best bet is the CMP forums. Post a WTB ad and you will get several offers with good pictures. Look at the sellers feedback and post count. If they have a good number of posts over several years you can bet that they are good to go. Bad guys don’t last long over there. Having a rifle shipped to an FFL is no big deal at all.
Agreed. I bought my Remington 1903A3 from the CMP forums a few years back. Was pretty painless.

watch this auction sight for a while.....pockets gotta go to your ankles on a lot of this stuff

As noted there are many rifles out there that have been "corrected"
I know a group of older gents that where buying M1 Garands through the cmp they would do 2 big orders between the 5 of them they would get as many as the cmp allowed since the mid to late 90s usually 10 each. They would take all the rifles and strip and sort them into parts groups and manufacturing time frames and then match them to recievers. Switch barrels pull rare parts.
They did this right up until the new wood stocks starting coming on more and more rifles. I know they did a rack grade buy a few years ago hoping for some older parts and receivers?
I know 2 of the guys put up many M1s for sale through RIA a few years ago and did very well even with all the fees.

Last edited:
watch this auction sight for a while.....pockets gotta go to your ankles on a lot of this stuff

As noted there are many rifles out there that have been "corrected"
I know a group of older gents that where buying M1 Garands through the cmp they would do 2 big orders between the 5 of them they would get as many as the cmp allowed since the mid to late 90s usually 10 each. They would take all the rifles and strip and sort them into parts groups and manufacturing time frames and then match them to recievers. Switch barrels pull rare parts.
They did this right up until the new wood stocks starting coming on more and more rifles. I know they did a rack grade buy a few years ago hoping for some older parts and receivers?
I know 2 of the guys put up many M1s for sale through RIA a few years ago and did very well even with all the fees.

Although claiming to be unissued, that rifle has a replacement birch stock.

Back
Top Bottom