• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand - School Me

BREWINZ

NES Member
I'm looking to pick up a nice Garand. I really don't care about it being all original. This is a rifle I'd like to shoot a lot and not worry too much about taking away it's value. I saw this website and it seems right for what I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

I'm looking to pick up a nice Garand. I really don't care about it being all original. This is a rifle I'd like to shoot a lot and not worry too much about taking away it's value. I saw this website and it seems right for what I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?
M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

"SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers."

$750 shipped to your door with a little bit of paperwork and a trip to the notary.

I'm well aware of the CMP. My only concern is that the rifles have original barrels, etc. May not hold up very long with a +2 or +3 throat and muzzle reading.

I have wanted an M1 Garand for a long time, but 30-06 aint cheap. This thread made go over to see what the CMP was up to, and I see this:

garand.png

I didn't know the CMP was offering rebarreled 308 Garand's, does anyone know what those usually go for from CMP? With the price of surplus 762NATO these days, I would surely like to get my hands on one of those.

You could do a CMP Event (very fun, and worthit regardless) and then order an original surplus M1 Garand from CMP for like $700-$800. As for events, I know many clubs host them, I may actually be going to one in Hanson this weekend.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

This is what Im hoping to do myself.

Unless something has changed, a MA LTC + Goal membership meets all the requirements to buy... or it did in 2013.

Speaking of which, what is the reasoning for a Garand in 308? Is it for a more common round /slightly cheaper to run? Is there another factor for this?

Genuinely curious.

Speaking of which, what is the reasoning for a Garand in 308? Is it for a more common round /slightly cheaper to run? Is there another factor for this?

Genuinely curious.

I want one in 308 because I already stack 308 in the bunker, don't really want to add an other caliber that is increasingly more expensive and harder to find.

Yeah that's what my google search turned up. A lot can change in 4 years, I will just have to keep an eye on them, maybe there is a mailer I can sign up for. I wouldn't hate the idea of dropping $1k for a 308 Garand.
Yeah I hesitated even posting that. Originally I was going to say only like $100 more than a service grade, but reading the chart you posted I must of been thinking of the special field grade, which is pitted and in 3006.

I'm well aware of the CMP. My only concern is that the rifles have original barrels, etc. May not hold up very long with a +2 or +3 throat and muzzle reading.

Yeah, they are only going to be good for another 10,000 or 15,000 rounds. You will probably never wear the barrel out.

Seriously, buy from the CMP. You will pay far less than anywhere else and get a guarantee that it is functional.

+1 for CMP. Some minor tweaks might be in order, but it's the best deal out there for a M1. Currently there are H&R service grades available. The barrels on those typically have little wear. Regardless, you can have a CMP rifle re-barreled with a top notch match barrel plus some extra accurizing work for much less than $1900. I have read some very positive feedback regarding Miltech's work, but they are pricey.

I bought a Service Grade Winchester at the regional New England CMP match in Vermont. It's a Springfield Armory (the real one, not SAI) rebuild that was done in '65. I forget the barrel measurements but were either zero or close to it. Here's one of my last targets from this fall:

img_1060-jpg.210446

100 yards prone, vintage LC Match ammo, 5 for 5 in the 10-ring and 2X maybe 3X. As it came from the CMP plus some elbow grease and a couple parts like a new op rod spring. I have a CMP Special that was accurized by an excellent armorer / national champion shooter and also a .308 M1 National Match clone that I built myself. The Winchester is almost as accurate as the other two, at least in my hands.

What type of shooting do you plan to do? 1+ muzzle 2+ throat will be fine as long as everything else is in decent order. If you sell, you will make money on a CMP service grade. Again, the Miltech is a very nice rifle but you will lose a few hundred if you decide to sell it.

Best intro out there would be to go to one of the Old Colony CMP shoots. They have club M1's that at first glance look like your usual CMP beaters but look closely and they have been carefully accurized. You'll basically get a clinic before the match if you are new to the M1 and in no time will be hitting the bull at 200 yards.

I purchased a .308 Special Grade CMP Garand last year. I received a rifle that looked brand new in all ways except for a tiny bit of rust on the rear sight windage knob.

I chose .308 because I already own firearms in that caliber and didn't want to add .30-06 to the mix.

Plus, I have a ton of the plastic .308 training rounds. They turn the Garand into a straight pull bolt action, but they're cheap and fun to shoot.

And another voice recommending CMP. I recently posted a picture of my International Harvester service grade in the April 2018 acquisitions thread. I plan on stopping at the CMP North Store in Ohio during the National Matches to see what kind of goodies they have. I may try to get an M1D Combo. They only sell those at the stores. The mail order M1D's do not come with the military surplus scopes and bases.

Have you had any experience with one?

I had a Springfield that I bought because Patton and everyone else said it was great. I thought it sucked. Short stock, clunky muzzle heavy, odd number of rounds. I hated it.
It took me a long time to admit I didnt like it. I planned to trade it for an AK, but wound up walking out with a 30-30 instead.

My only advice is make sure it’s what you want. I can’t be the only one tamhat doesn’t like them, can I?

I had a Springfield that I bought because Patton and everyone else said it was great. I thought it sucked. Short stock, clunky muzzle heavy, odd number of rounds. I hated it.
It took me a long time to admit I didnt like it. I planned to trade it for an AK, but wound up walking out with a 30-30 instead.

My only advice is make sure it’s what you want. I can’t be the only one tamhat doesn’t like them, can I?

Lots of people like the M1 Carbine, but I'm not a fan despite liking the M1 Garand. Different strokes... Valid point that the OP should be sure he likes them, but probably he knows what he's getting into.

Personally I find AK's to be tinny and cheap feeling, more so than even the lowly AR. However, their simplicity and reliability is hard to beat. That said, with minimal work a Garand will provide much better accuracy than you'll get with an AK.

8 is an even number of rounds.

Yes. I've shot them. I'm not expecting a modern rifle. I have an AR, AK, X95, etc. I have plenty of 9mm handguns too, but the next purchase will be a Luger. Are they great? No, but there's something about them I like.

CMP it is.

U.S. Rifle, Caliber 30, M1 is a piece of history. I have a CMP with a new stock, 1943 SA receiver and 1946 SA barrel. It will leave a mark on anything I shoot, is not a large capacity, (only 8 rounds oh my!) and the commies in the MA state government have no clue about it. Good enough for the US Marine Corp Silent Drill Team
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXa39XyP6q8

I have wanted an M1 Garand for a long time, but 30-06 aint cheap. This thread made go over to see what the CMP was up to, and I see this:

View attachment 230392

I didn't know the CMP was offering rebarreled 308 Garand's, does anyone know what those usually go for from CMP? With the price of surplus 762NATO these days, I would surely like to get my hands on one of those.
I purchased one right before they sold out, they were 1050$, but were shipping out in mint shape as well.

Back
Top Bottom