M1911A1 history in my hand-- now with helpfull pics!

This is not a "whats my gun worth thread" its just wonderment. In my hand is a 1945 manufacture, non arsenal rebuilt, matching parts original US property Colt pistol. I have done a lot of research and it seems authentic. to imagine a GI carrying this and betting his life on it is just profound, i wish that they came with movies of their lives. Yes i do wonder the value, but for now i just wish i could hear the stories it would tell. My assessment below.

Colt M1911A1 serial 2304618 - 1945 manufacture, no arsenal marks visible,Indicating that the pistol has all matching original parts. General markings highlighted on attached sheet. I did not strip the gun entirely, only a field strip to preserve its state. A light coat of ballistol was applied for corrosion control, Ran a ballistol patch down the barrel.

Frame-----united states property roll stamp is unmolested and legible,
Ordinance dept inspection stamp is present and only partially struck as was normal.
G.H.D stamp is legible and common indicates Brig. Gen. Guy H Drewry
brushed finish as is appropriate, i do not believe it has been refinished
unidentifiable roll mark near disconnecter
parkerized feed ramp, machine marks visible as desired
Colt verified proof mark legible

Slide----Rampant colt left hand side center of slide, worn but visible
proof stamp forward of rear sight

Barrel---- Sharp rifling, C in a square on right side, common proof mark on left lug, under barrel stamp appears to be a G but not sure, appears to be fired minimally

Grips----- Coltwood plastic with reinforcement ribs, correct for period, not removed

Recoil spring guide----Tapered legs, tapered front correct for period

Rear sight----Rev 5 colt

Trigger-----Proper stamped/ parkerized type 5 colt model

Magazine----R stamp on front tang, Scoville and Risdon manufacture, Has been kept loaded, spring still functions as it should.

Ammunition- 7 rounds ball ammo, stamped WRA 69 clean and no corrosion

It is my opinion that this is a complete, non Arsenal rebuilt original colt, it has not been refinished. The patina is consistent overall. Small parts match finish. All markings found are consistent with its age.The pistol function tests fine, Safety's function as they should. Sear engagement is solid.

Last edited:
they are cool aren't they. i had one made in 1918, nothing special. i mean not a rare specimen or anything. it had signs of being worked on during it's military service but oddly the barrel looked original. someone put a ton of hardball through it before the gun was retired from service. too late for wwI but wwII and maybe korea and points in between. wish i had it still. i did shoot it frequently but i had a replacement barrel fitted which oddly i still have to this day in my parts box.

anyone remember adco firearms on montvale ave. in woburn? bought it there.

Back
Top Bottom