M1A Op Rod Problem

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I've had a Scout Squad for a while now and have just gotten around to doing a field strip for cleaning and lubrication.

Now I've stripped down Garands and M1As before so I know the procedure. But on this one the lug on the op rod will not engage the disassembly notch on the receiver. I can sometimes feel the two "mating" but the rod just will not engage enough to lift away from the receiver. The lug on my op rod appears to be a square while the notch seems to sloped sides, as if to guide the lug in.

Has anyone ever experienced such a problem?

Yup. Same issue on my M1a supermatch. The op rod doesnt just come straight out when lined up with the notch in reciever. When you get it lined up with the notch, you need to grab the op rod by the curved finger thing and rock it from top to bottom while pulling straight up. I use a pair of pliers with rubber jaw protectors......Hope this helps......

I always avoid using tools for something that "should" require hands to remove.

my M1a op rod takes a little sweet spot hunting.
It will come out easiest out of the stock and spring removed.
I cant put it to words well.
Action on table barrel pointing right. Tabs lined up. I grab the heal with my left hand with thumb under the op rod "handle" . Right hand manipulates a twist out ward while left thumb pushes up. Once I found that sweet spot I can now do it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom