• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A vs. AR10

I am looking to get a 308 rifle for use at our 300yd range, and maybe for light hunting. I am looking into an M1A loaded and a S&W M&P10. The hunting is a lower priority. To me, accuracy is most important. I will not compete, but I like to punch small groups in paper.

I would be adding a scope and bipod, makung the AR maybe easier to deal with. I know little of the M1A, so any advice would be appreciated...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

M1a is a good time man, i would check them both out in person...inspect the fit and finish, decided whether or not you care about capacity. I myself would purchase the M1A, I love how they look and they are typically very accurate. A very good friend of mine had a Scout version and adored it, he is a member on the forum. Perhaps he will chime in!

Accuracy wise an AR10 will beat an M1A easily. M1As can, for big bucks, be made very, very accurate, but an springer loaded is not even going to be close an AR10 in that department.

I love M1As and have owned several, there are lots of good things about them (preban mags for example), but they aren't going to shoot 1MOA out of the box. That doesn't make them a crappy rifle, it's just reality.

AR platform 308s are typically more accurate than an M1A. This is from a complete M1A fan. Unless you throw a boatload of money at an M1A it will not outperform a 308 platform AR. The loaded is a beautiful rifle but the price tag shows it . That said, I would look at field reports on the M&P before deciding on it. If you want accuracy expect to free float the hand guards and drop in a better trigger at the minimum.

If you are near Harvard Sportsmens I could host you with a M1A that has had that metric butt ton of money thrown at it. Average (if that) glass on it but still a great shooter. No M&P15 so maybe someone else can chime in on them.

FYI. M1A that has has a mid weight barrel, Brookfield Precision scope mount, gas piston, spring guide and stock liner. Stock Bedded, unitized gas system, flash hider bored, trigger work with all GI components. Shoots great with 308 federal gold medal match 168 grain. Basically mine is an M25 copy built by one of the guys who helped develop that system.

despite how much i like m1a i would go with ar10 if hunting/hauling is involved. m1a is heavy. ar10 is more accurate AND lighter.
it is amazing how few choices consumer has once you want to go into 308 semi-auto category.
PSG-1 can be very accurate on 300 yard stretch, maybe even further. not sure if it's more or less accurate than s&w ar10 though.
only other choice is FAL which i know little about it's accuracy, but i doubt it can match ar10 capabilities.

Last edited:
I've had a number of m1a rifles over the years and all were accurate. I have a socom 16 now and even with the short tube its not a target rifle but still very accurate. The main thing with a m1a is they shoot when wet cold hot or dusty pull the trigger they go bang. Then there is the fun factor added.

I love the M14, it is my favorite rifle. Mine is boat anchor of an EBR MOD0 clone, and it is super accurate but I intentionally forgot how much money I have into that rifle. I'll never sell it, but I am in the middle of throwing together a 308AR to actually use.

I'd have to agree with the guys that use the rifles, but the M1A is based on battle proven and match proven M1 Garand and M14 technology that's hard to best even in 2013. Stoner's first rifle was an AR built around the 7.62 NATO as I recall, so the AR 10 will have very proven technology behind that too.

Now which of the two 7.62 platforms does the US Military rely on? The M14, of course they were already in the inventory and have been for half a century. It's a tough call from my perspective, AR10 inherently more accurate, but M1A is combat proven and can be made more accurate. I am of an age where I am recoil sensitive and I'd prefer the extra weight of the M1A. Personally that would be my choice knowing that I might have to have some accurizing done, but then these rifles are no slouch in the accuracy department as issued. I'd go with the M1A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both M1A and original AR-10. To me 2 very different rifles when at the range. My M1A its fun to shoot, but I would have to throw a boatload of money at it to make it a M14. The M14, what a rifle, gave me chills when I first shot it!!!! The AR-10, Mr Stoner knew what he was doing! I took a couple of sessions to learn the rifles good/bad but it is a tack driver at distances beyond 200yds! The AR-10 has an ACOG on it like my military AR-15, the AR-10 is really a joy to shoot as well as the M1A!!
Both r pre-ban, so hi-cap mag's!!, it comes down to what u would feel comfortable shooting? I would like to get a hold of the S&W .308. U R welcome to come down an try them an pick up some primers.

I want an M1A. Badly. In fact, I may hold off on a 2nd M1 Garand from the CMP to save up for one.

everyone else pretty much nailed it. AR10 will outperform the M1A accuracy and weightwise... There i said it, forgive me almighty M14 gods.

I am looking to get a 308 rifle for use at our 300yd range, and maybe for light hunting. I am looking into an M1A loaded and a S&W M&P10. The hunting is a lower priority. To me, accuracy is most important. I will not compete, but I like to punch small groups in paper.

I would be adding a scope and bipod, makung the AR maybe easier to deal with. I know little of the M1A, so any advice would be appreciated...

I own a "loaded" National Match M1A that I haven't fired in a few years. It is a step up from the standard M1A, which is a battle rifle. Accuracy was good with a crappy scope at 100 yds (although I don't remember how good). I did buy Federal Gold Medal match ammo for it, but never got around to using it. Springfield also has a Super Match M1A that should be a tack driver right out of the box and do less than 1 MOA @ 100 yds. However, this takes a lot of practice using good ammo. It has a lugged rear receiver, which adds to its overall accuracy. As others have stated, I wouldn't use an M1A for hunting as the weight is around 11 to 12 pounds without a scope.

I don't own an AR-10, but for my AR-15s, I use two-stage trigger groups. If you want an AR-10 tack driver, you should think about using a two-stage trigger group. Lastly, it should be much cheaper to build an AR-10 tack driver than for a M1A. The AR will also be more versatile.

My $0.02 worth.

It would be nice to see some M&P AR10s showing up in MA since they are making an AWB compliant version.

Sounds like msrp is not too bad either, hopefully FS will get some.

It would be nice to see some M&P AR10s showing up in MA since they are making an AWB compliant version.

Sounds like msrp is not too bad either, hopefully FS will get some.

I've already seen a few in MA. B&K sales had one, this was probably more than a month ago though. They are out there you just have to look.

I'm going to be in the minority here as I would say out of the two I find my M1A as accurate as my LAR-8 (RockRiver Arms AR-10 variant). One key point is the my MIA came Loaded as well, which provides the glass bedding and upgrades to increase it's accuracy. The OP indicated he was looking at the Loaded option of the M1A as well.

Overall they are both heavy. The AR obviously though will have a ton of options and accessories that the M1A will not have. To me you can't go wrong with either. My opinion though, for what it's worth, is that I like shooting my M1A better then my LAR8. Just a little bit more...... [wink]

I have an early AR10A4 and an M1A. I don't have any experience with the S&W. The AR10 is clearly easier to scope than the M1A. If you are going to scope an M1A, don't skimp on the mount.

Personally, I think the M1A balances better for me. I find that the AR10 just feels like a boat anchor. It is definitely not something I would hunt with, ever. I would not want to cart that beast up over hill and dale.

I will agree that a AR-10 target rifle will beat most M1a's out there, But the S&W is NOT a target ar-10 so you might be disappointed. Also keep in mind that there is no Mil-Spec for .308 AR's. So ever manufacture makes there guns slightly differently, and many parts don't interchange. S&W uses a strange stepped down bolt just so they can use AR-15 buffer tubes and stocks, Many dont interchange Mags and most can not swap uppers between manufactures. so Pick a company that makes what you want, S&W only really makes the 1 .308. Also the ar-10 is for the most part a finicky bitch, it is very ammo dependent and the gas impingement types drop way more fouling onto the bolt that a 5.56. I own both a DPMS .308 and a SA M1A socom II, the M1A will eat anything, not so with the DPMS, there is also the face that there is NO pre-ban AR-10 mags except the SR-25 mags that sell for 100-200 each. Some AR-10 do use FAL mags or HK91 mags, but I have Heard that they are even less reliable guns. If you want some tech details about the faults of .308 AR's talk to John at Remsport, Hem makes some sweet guns and is not a fan of 308 AR's

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning towards the M1A. A little more research to do...

I have a complete armalite ar-10 and the pre ban mags havent been hard to find.....I bought it in january and I am up to 6 and i haven't paid more than 45 a magazine, and I have seen a fair amount in the classifieds since jan too

I also havent had any problems with different ammo at all, I will admit I also am looking for a priced right m1a right now.....I agree get both eventually.

I believe that a lot of folks like the Sadlak mounts for the M1A. Not cheap, of course: Scope Mount Brookfield Style, M14/M1A Sadlak Industries

The Bassett scope mount also gets good reviews, and I like the design.

Bassett M14/M1A Scope Mounts

I also have an M1A (loaded with walnut stock) and somehow the thing just speaks to me. Yeah, I don't have a problem believing an AR10 can be made more accurate. If I were buying a car though, I wouldn't make the decision based on which is the fastest either.

although i have had no problems with my gen 4 SA mount, and have heard good things about bassett, dont get anything but the sadlak, they are the best, and mike sadlak is an awesome guy too.

Back
Top Bottom