• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M48 Mauser Problem

I need someone a bit more experienced than I to drop some knowledge on me. A while back I bought an M48 Mauser from a gun show. I brought it home, went on midway.com and picked up a set of 8mm headspace gauges. That same day I ordered steel cased romainian 8mm mauser ammo.

I took it out to the range, shot it a few times and it seemed to work great except for one problem: about every 3rd time I fired it, some hot powder hit me in the forehead. Now this wasnt a huge deal, little sting and a powder residue mark, but it was a little concerning.

I figured it was the steel cased ammo not expanding upon being shot to fill the rifling and so some hot powder could have made it back through the action to hit me in the forehead. Since the headspace looked great, I don't really know what to think of it. Has anyone else had this experience with steel cased ammo or am I overlooking something?

Regards

mauser

I dont want to insult you BUT.the first time that happened you should have stopped.it could have been a disaster.you have 50,000 lb of gas or more in the chamber.no one can tell you whats wrong on a posting. try other ammo.I dont like or use steel cases.if it happens again you need a knowledgable gun smith.

Back
Top Bottom