M855 ammo

1903Collector

NES Member
What is the best you can expect from this ammo? I was holding all my shots in a 6-8 inch circle at 200 yards using a 16" 1/7 barrel with an unmagnified red dot prone. Is this ammo capable of better or do I just need to practice a shit ton more?

Not bad at 200 yards using red dot.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/green-tip-accuracy-test/#
M855 / XM855 / SS109 "Green Tip" Ammunition Comparison
LoadMuzzle Velocity (fps)Standard Deviation (fps)Smallest Group (inches)Largest Group (inches)Group Average (inches)
Sellier & Bellot SS1093,006100.571.81.1
PMC X-Tac Green Tip-LAP2,8991711.41.1
Prvi Partisan M8552,944241.21.71.4
Olympic SS1092,993240.721.4
Lake City Arsenal M855('11 headstamp)2,978251.42.82
American Eagle/Lake City XM855 ('11 headstamp)2,951281.63.22.1
Double Tap Ammunition SS1092,871281.73.62.6
Winchester M8552,990272.94.43.7
All loads tested using a Citizen Arms Eastern Predator 16-inch-barreled Carbine with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5X24 mm scope with BTR-2 reticle.
Velocities measured using an Oehler Model 35P positioned 15 feet from the muzzle for 10 rounds per load.
Accuracy testing performed at 100 yards from a prone-supported position for five, five-round groups per load.

6 to 8, probably closer to the 8 LOL, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about a nicely packed grouping, they are spread out but within that circle with a few flyers. So that would be considered decent with that ammo? I usually shoot anything over 50 with a scope so that seemed not that great to me.

Ooh! But that S&B...
df88326b33c962e186679ac1f5e84e25--emoji-symbols-emojis.jpg

Not bad for non-Match bulk production .mil ammo...

GGG_Lithuanian_5.56_M855__79515.1468019115.JPG

I've had outstanding results with a Ruger American Ranch with a 1/8 twist. Lake City with a '13 head stamp. Using a 3X9X40 at 100 yards off of a sand bag. Shooting three round groups and letting the barrel cool between sets. The funny thing was that every time one got away from me, it was at the exact same 1 o'clock position, about an inch and a half out of the group. So I think the round can be accurate but there are definitely some flyers in the box. I'll get a photo of the target later tonight.

What is the best you can expect from this ammo? I was holding all my shots in a 6-8 inch circle at 200 yards using a 16" 1/7 barrel with an unmagnified red dot prone. Is this ammo capable of better or do I just need to practice a shit ton more?
i get reliably 1moa accuracy with in from my 20" ar15, but it has 1:8 twist. i have stock of IMI m855.

Ok, I was trying to find POI with a cold barrel. First three shots were at the center target, the three low shots. Adjusted the scope up and to the right. Second three shot group was at the center again with better results. Two in the red and a flyer at 1 o'clock. Next I went to the upper right target. Not bad. Then lower right. Again, not bad for me. Then I went to the lower left target and you can see two rounds in almost the same hole. Off center a bit but good consistency. Last target was upper left and this pleased me most. Two rounds in the same hole, on center, with the 1 o'clock flyer again. I'm just a putz playing at the range and got pretty good results with what is really just bulk surplus ammo. I'm well aware that there are no benches with sand bags in the field but it does show you what the rifle can do with 855.

I do have a 3x magnifier on another gun I could swap over I suppose but that table in the post above tells me that I'm pretty close

I'm my case I try to take the human element out of shooting a group with new ammo by using glass, sandbags or a sled etc.. Get a good idea of how much I actually suck as a shooter and how good the ammo is when I take away all the shooter aids lol

I'm my case I try to take the human element out of shooting a group with new ammo by using glass, sandbags or a sled etc.. Get a good idea of how much I actually suck as a shooter and how good the ammo is when I take away all the shooter aids lol
With 3x scope at 100yds you will get 3moa groups and it is ok.
With 6x scope you will be at 1moa. For most military rifles there is no need for more as 1.5-2 moa is the best it can do anyway.
Shooting a center of a dime at 100yds you want at least 12x or more.

So with a 3x prism on a tavor x95 it is all the fun and who cares what groups it does.

It's always been 2-3 MOA for me across guns. I don't bother buying or loading 855 anymore. I either crank 55gr reloads to max velocity for armor penetration or pickup my M1A if I actually need penetration.

If you want penetration, build an AR10. If you're gonna stick with AR15, just get 75-77gr hunting ammo.

With 6x scope you will be at 1moa. For most military rifles there is no need for more as 1.5-2 moa is the best it can do anyway.

So with a 3x prism on a tavor x95 it is all the fun and who cares what groups it does.
Well sure, but knowing what YOUR weapon will do with different types of published ammo ballistics is a different thing.

This is such bad advice. Tell that to someone who does slow fire pistol shooting or small bore. You shouldn't need a 6x scope to shoot under 3 moa at 200yds. And 12x at 100yds is overkill unless you're compensating for bad technique. I can shoot around 1 moa with irons out to 400yds without much of a problem with D166 duplicate loads in either of my M39's from prone position off of bags, and those have hard to see sights and are built on recievers made alll the wayyyy back in 1898 and 1897. My K31 will do it too with gp11, and my remington 03a3, and Irish contract enfield no4 mk2 aren't far behind. I'm blind as a bat and for me 12x is more for 1000yds with my M107A1. Too much magnification can be just as bad as too little, it over exaggerates every little movement. Being comfortably on target and having good trigger and breath control are what counts.

Good quality m855 will consistently shoot around 1-2 moa out of most decent rifles with 1/7 or 1/8 twist. Good quality is IMI or Federal/Lake City. 6-8" at 200yds prone is not really too bad for an occasional or newer shooter, magnification shouldn't matter as long as you can see your sights and your target. I shoot irons out to 400yds regularly and can get consistent hits on torso size targets with irons out to 1000yds. I'd say you just need some practice. Work on breath control, trigger control, and when you are prone be settled in so the rifle is naturally on point of aim, you shouldn't have to "hold" it there. Practice and training makes all the difference. Anyone that thinks you need to spend $$, have a 20x scope and the latest bull barrelled 6.5 "whatever the f***" to shoot 1 moa groups at 100-300yds needs to learn to shoot first.

I find a lot of guys on here are like golfers chasing lower handicaps by buying better clubs and balls, they spend $$$ on rifles and scopes and spend countless hours tinkering and working up loads to find accuracy when all they really need is some practice and instruction.

This is such bad advice. Tell that to someone who does slow fire pistol shooting or small bore. You shouldn't need a 6x scope to shoot under 3 moa at 200yds. And 12x at 100yds is overkill unless you're compensating for bad technique. I can shoot around 1 moa with irons out to 400yds without much of a problem with D166 duplicate loads in either of my M39's from prone position off of bags, and those have hard to see sights and are built on recievers made alll the wayyyy back in 1898 and 1897. My K31 will do it too with gp11, and my remington 03a3, and Irish contract enfield no4 mk2 aren't far behind. I'm blind as a bat and for me 12x is more for 1000yds with my M107A1. Too much magnification can be just as bad as too little, it over exaggerates every little movement. Being comfortably on target and having good trigger and breath control are what counts.
You’re “blind as a bat” and shoot 1 MOA at 400 yds with irons prone?

You’re “blind as a bat” and shoot 1 MOA at 400 yds with irons prone?
20/20 corrected, no astigmatism, but yes my eyes are shit, I suffer from blepharitis and I'm incedibly myopic. My prescription is -7.25 in my left and -7.00 in my right and my ocular pressures are always on the ragged edge. I've been shooting rifles at long range with irons since I was 10yrs old though. My dad had his ffl and I grew up during the prime times for surplus rifles and ammo. It was nothing for me to get handed a rifle and 500rds of ammo and get told to use it all in an afternoon just because. I can lay prone with a case of gp11 and a k31 and shoot a 6" gong at 400yds off a sand bag literally until I'm out of ammo, I might miss but not often, and I can usually call wind pretty well, doing all that shooting as a kid made it pretty instinctual and I haven't lost it much.

Last edited:
20/20 corrected, no astigmatism, but yes my eyes are shit, I suffer from blepharitis and I'm incedibly myopic. My prescription is -7.25 in my left and -7.00 in my right and my ocular pressures are always on the ragged edge. I've been shooting rifles at long range with irons since I was 10yrs old though. My dad had his ffl and I grew up during the prime times for surplus rifles and ammo. It was nothing for me to get handed a rifle and 500rds of ammo and get told to use it all in an afternoon just because. I can lay prone with a case of gp11 and a k31 and shoot a 6" gong at 400yds off a sand bag literally until I'm out of ammo, I might miss but not often, and I can usually call wind pretty well, doing all that shooting as a kid made it pretty instinctual and I haven't lost it much.

Good quality m855 will consistently shoot around 1-2 moa out of most decent rifles with 1/7 or 1/8 twist. Good quality is IMI or Federal/Lake City. 6-8" at 200yds prone is not really too bad for an occasional or newer shooter, magnification shouldn't matter as long as you can see your sights and your target. I shoot irons out to 400yds regularly and can get consistent hits on torso size targets with irons out to 1000yds. I'd say you just need some practice. Work on breath control, trigger control, and when you are prone be settled in so the rifle is naturally on point of aim, you shouldn't have to "hold" it there. Practice and training makes all the difference. Anyone that thinks you need to spend $$, have a 20x scope and the latest bull barrelled 6.5 "whatever the f***" to shoot 1 moa groups at 100-300yds needs to learn to shoot first.

I find a lot of guys on here are like golfers chasing lower handicaps by buying better clubs and balls, they spend $$$ on rifles and scopes and spend countless hours tinkering and working up loads to find accuracy when all they really need is some practice and instruction.
Torso hits at 1000 yds using irons and 4" groups at 400 yards prone also using irons ? Sounds like you are the best shooter on NES . Do you do competitions and have a bunch of trophies ?

Torso hits at 1000 yds using irons and 4" groups at 400 yards prone also using irons ? Sounds like you are the best shooter on NES . Do you do competitions and have a bunch of trophies ?
Nope but hand me any common service rifle with a proper sling on it from the late 1890's to now, and some decent ammo and a 6" round white plate anywhere from 100-400yds I will stand there all day off hand and slap that target around without much effort. Let me go prone off of a sand bag and I will wear the paint off of it in short order. Bump it up to a full size IDPA target at 600yds so I can see it better and I'm good. I literally grew up doing just that, I was expected to, my father was an expert marksman in the coast guard and air force reserve, and he ran a pretty successfull kitchen table ffl all throught the 80's and 90's, mostly flipping surplus rifles, and I fully reaped the benefits of it. To put it in perspective I didn't own a rifle or shotgun with a scope or any type of optic on it until about 2007, first AR I ever shot that didn't have a carry handle was probably in 2010. That is also why I will always tell anyone that their practice and training matters a hell of a lot more than their equipment. Anyone that tells me you need a bull barrelled precision rifle, worked up handloads, and a 10-16x scope to shoot 1 moa at 100yds needs to ditch the high magnification scopes and bullshit for a year or two, pick up a decent service rifle, a stack of ammo, and spend some serious time learning some real fundamentals and, most importantly, losing their flinch.

Nope but hand me any common service rifle with a proper sling on it from the late 1890's to now, and some decent ammo and a 6" round white plate anywhere from 100-400yds I will stand there all day off hand and slap that target around without much effort. Let me go prone off of a sand bag and I will wear the paint off of it in short order. Bump it up to a full size IDPA target at 600yds so I can see it better and I'm good. I literally grew up doing just that, I was expected to, my father was an expert marksman in the coast guard and air force reserve, and he ran a pretty successfull kitchen table ffl all throught the 80's and 90's, mostly flipping surplus rifles, and I fully reaped the benefits of it. To put it in perspective I didn't own a rifle or shotgun with a scope or any type of optic on it until about 2007, first AR I ever shot that didn't have a carry handle was probably in 2010. That is also why I will always tell anyone that their practice and training matters a hell of a lot more than their equipment. Anyone that tells me you need a bull barrelled precision rifle, worked up handloads, and a 10-16x scope to shoot 1 moa at 100yds needs to ditch the high magnification scopes and bullshit for a year or two, pick up a decent service rifle, a stack of ammo, and spend some serious time learning some real fundamentals and, most importantly, losing their flinch.

Wow, you can hit a pie plate at 400 yards, offhand with irons, that's impressive. Not many people in the world could do that.

How come you don't compete and capitalize on your gift ?

Wow, you can hit a pie plate at 400 yards, offhand with irons.

That's impressive, not many people in the world could do that.

How come you don't compete and capitalize off your gift ?
We're really derailing this guy's thread but I'll bite.

Not many people? Gift? That's literally the point of a rifle, it is what it is designed for Idk how anyone would consider being able to hit a pie plate sized target at 400yds a gift? Why have rifles been designed with graduated iron sights marked up to 1000+yards since the late 1800's?
I'm pretty sure literally every adult male in Switzerland can do it, I'm pretty sure most of our military can do it also, even though they are all given an optic now.

I don't do rifle competitions because I find the people that shoot them kind of stuck up and the matches are boring. The one high power match I ever shot I had just turned 21, was a broke college kid, and I had no clue what it was all about, but I figured it would be fun to shoot a match so I casually showed up in a T-shirt and shorts and sneakers with my ear plugs and safety glasses and just a small harbor freight moving blanket as a shooting mat, I brought a really nice old Colt match HBAR that was my dad's and some 69gr factory ammo and a normal usgi sling, knowing I didn't have the right gear to compete with the top guys but figured I'd have fun trying. I tried to be friendly and have fun, but instead I pretty much got treated like dirt and snubbed by everyone because I didn't show up with a literal wheelbarrow full of shooting jackets and gear and useless crap. I ended up scoring mid pack out of about 35 shooters, which is what I expected, and I haven't bothered since because it was such a miserable experience. I'd much rather just go to the range and have some fun with my friends or family. I've found the same to hold true trying to check out local revolver and pistol matches. Bunch of stuck up old farts that won't give me the time of day, even when I show up early and offer to help set up. I've found that it just seems like they are jealous or don't even want to even resond to me because I'm not dragging around a whole wagon full of gear. Then about half of them seem to get even more offended when I score somewhere in the middle of the pack with my extremely basic gear, like I'm making a mockery of "their" match or something. As far as sports are concerned the shooting sports "community" does a really good job of excluding people, IMHO that's why the competitive shooting sports don't really ever grow to become truly mainstream. The only place I find shooting competition to be friendly and enjoyable is on the skeet field, but only if I stay clear of the trap snobs lol They get really pissy when you out shoot them and their Krieghoff's with your old worn out Sears Model 200 that your grandfather handed down to you when you were 12 or 13 lol

I guess maybe I am projecting a bit, I can't even contemplate hitting a torso at 1000 yards using iron sights. The front sight would obscure whatever little I could actually see of the target.
it is because you are not using a rifle made in 1800s - wrong sights, obviously.
5722ff17c57bcd1f676a60d122ea53b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom