• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M855 ammo

If you can consistently hit a pie plate at 400 yards offhand with iron sights by using a surplus service rifle and factory ammo, you would outshoot any Olympic competition shooter out there, and could easily get huge sponsorship deals from any gun or ammo manufacturer.

You're so full of crap that you don't even know what day of the week it is.

Last edited:
I guess maybe I am projecting a bit, I can't even contemplate hitting a torso at 1000 yards using iron sights. The front sight would obscure whatever little I could actually see of the target.
thats why you set the sight to the next notch up and use a bullseye (6 o'clock) hold.

If you can consistently hit a pie plate at 400 yards offhand with iron sights by using a surplus service rifle and factory ammo, you would outshoot any Olympic competition shooter out there, and could easily get huge sponsorship deals from any gun or ammo manufacturer.

You're so full of crap that you don't even know what day of the week it is.
I was literally at the range last weekend fairly consistantly smacking around an 8" plate with a m44 mosin and 203gr soft point brown bear ammo lol at 400yds, I really don't understand why everyone thinks it's so impossible. That rifle is only capable of maybe 2 moa on it's best day and I was only maybe holding it to 4 moa but I was still hitting it about 50% and dancing around it pretty consistently. Anyone can go on youtube and watch iv888 and chad shoot a plain old m91/30 at 600yds with russian light ball and they make plenty of good hits from the bench and neither lf them are world class sponsored shooters either. Robski from AKOU has been doing the same thing out to 600+ with old surplus rifles on his new secondary channel, shooting prone, he is actually scary good with those rifles, definitely better than me. Hell, here's a video of someone shooting a freaking SKS at 400 and 600

View: https://youtu.be/qoVb70yFKLI

oh here's Ian from forgotten weapons shooting a borrowed enfield using pulled m118lr bullets at 800 yds on a man size target. He makes about 4 or 5 hits in a row after a couple of spotters. He's not exactly an olympian or anything. Guess I'll have to get out the gopro and show ya'll how it's done lol

View: https://youtu.be/9--BX-AUK5g

I was out shooting with my great-great-grandfathers old flintlock at the 1200 yard range yesterday. It got dark, so I wanted to really challenge myself. I shot a total of 30 rounds, blindfolded and over my shoulder, and had no problem at all. All 30 hit the exact same hole even. Here is proof:

sany1219-jpg.98800

We're really derailing this guy's thread but I'll bite.
No worries, I pick up a lot in the back and forth! But post #3 pretty much answered my question.

I would say that living around here many of us don't get the opportunity to shoot at long distances, many clubs only have 100 yard ranges. The two clubs I belong to do have 200/300 yard ranges but thats really it with one exception that I can think of.

Last edited:
Wow, you can hit a pie plate at 400 yards, offhand with irons, that's impressive. Not many people in the world could do that.

How come you don't compete and capitalize on your gift ?
Because highpower shooters are big meanies.

I was out shooting with my great-great-grandfathers old flintlock at the 1200 yard range yesterday. It got dark, so I wanted to really challenge myself. I shot a total of 30 rounds, blindfolded and over my shoulder, and had no problem at all. All 30 hit the exact same hole even. Here is proof:

sany1219-jpg.98800

Not to judge, but you’re just a hair right and high of center… you’re probably slapping the trigger some on those 30 rounds. 😉

Dude I did 11.2 sec in my 70 Z-28 on pump gas and street radials I shit you not

I don't do rifle competitions because I find the people that shoot them kind of stuck up and the matches are boring. The one high power match I ever shot I had just turned 21, was a broke college kid, and I had no clue what it was all about, but I figured it would be fun to shoot a match so I casually showed up in a T-shirt and shorts and sneakers with my ear plugs and safety glasses and just a small harbor freight moving blanket as a shooting mat, I brought a really nice old Colt match HBAR that was my dad's and some 69gr factory ammo and a normal usgi sling, knowing I didn't have the right gear to compete with the top guys but figured I'd have fun trying. I tried to be friendly and have fun, but instead I pretty much got treated like dirt and snubbed by everyone because I didn't show up with a literal wheelbarrow full of shooting jackets and gear and useless crap. I ended up scoring mid pack out of about 35 shooters, which is what I expected, and I haven't bothered since because it was such a miserable experience. I'd much rather just go to the range and have some fun with my friends or family. I've found the same to hold true trying to check out local revolver and pistol matches. Bunch of stuck up old farts that won't give me the time of day, even when I show up early and offer to help set up. I've found that it just seems like they are jealous or don't even want to even resond to me because I'm not dragging around a whole wagon full of gear. Then about half of them seem to get even more offended when I score somewhere in the middle of the pack with my extremely basic gear, like I'm making a mockery of "their" match or something. As far as sports are concerned the shooting sports "community" does a really good job of excluding people, IMHO that's why the competitive shooting sports don't really ever grow to become truly mainstream. The only place I find shooting competition to be friendly and enjoyable is on the skeet field, but only if I stay clear of the trap snobs lol They get really pissy when you out shoot them and their Krieghoff's with your old worn out Sears Model 200 that your grandfather handed down to you when you were 12 or 13 lol
Sorry you had that experience...obviously kept you from doing it again. I have to say my experience has been the opposite of yours. I'd be hard put to think of a friendlier, more helpful group of guys in any sport. I have tried various disciplines in the shooting sports in different parts of the country over the years. I have been mentored, lent equipment, books and taken under the wing of some top-notch shooters...both pistol and rifle, and never once made to feel unwelcome or unworthy. On the contrary, all of these guys have gone out of their way to help me out. Wish I had been more able to justify their efforts! ;)
I'm unsure how it went wrong for you, but feel sure you might want to give it another try.
One of the issues facing rifle competitions in general is attracting and retaining new (and old!) rifle shooters.
Please try again...

Sorry you had that experience...obviously kept you from doing it again. I have to say my experience has been the opposite of yours. I'd be hard put to think of a friendlier, more helpful group of guys in any sport. I have tried various disciplines in the shooting sports in different parts of the country over the years. I have been mentored, lent equipment, books and taken under the wing of some top-notch shooters...both pistol and rifle, and never once made to feel unwelcome or unworthy. On the contrary, all of these guys have gone out of their way to help me out. Wish I had been more able to justify their efforts! ;)
I'm unsure how it went wrong for you, but feel sure you might want to give it another try.
One of the issues facing rifle competitions in general is attracting and retaining new (and old!) rifle shooters.
Please try again...
Same here. Well at least with USPSA/IDPA. I haven't dabbled in rifle competitions yet.

Good quality m855 will consistently shoot around 1-2 moa out of most decent rifles with 1/7 or 1/8 twist. Good quality is IMI or Federal/Lake City. 6-8" at 200yds prone is not really too bad for an occasional or newer shooter, magnification shouldn't matter as long as you can see your sights and your target. I shoot irons out to 400yds regularly and can get consistent hits on torso size targets with irons out to 1000yds. I'd say you just need some practice. Work on breath control, trigger control, and when you are prone be settled in so the rifle is naturally on point of aim, you shouldn't have to "hold" it there. Practice and training makes all the difference. Anyone that thinks you need to spend $$, have a 20x scope and the latest bull barrelled 6.5 "whatever the f***" to shoot 1 moa groups at 100-300yds needs to learn to shoot first.

I find a lot of guys on here are like golfers chasing lower handicaps by buying better clubs and balls, they spend $$$ on rifles and scopes and spend countless hours tinkering and working up loads to find accuracy when all they really need is some practice and instruction.

That’s been my finding with issued M855 in my issued M4. ~1.5-1.75 MOA for about 80% of my shots. But a lot of civilian ammo that’s marked “M855”, but is really just their own loading of an SS109-type bullet, isn’t as precise.

Overall though, nobody should expect better than 3 MOA for any M855. The design of the bullet makes it difficult to manufacture so it’s precisely balanced. That’s why my 1.5-1.75 MOA groups were only ever an 80% solution. M855 will always have flyers because of that hunk of steel inside that may not be perfectly straight in the bullet.

Last edited:
We're really derailing this guy's thread but I'll bite.

Not many people? Gift? That's literally the point of a rifle, it is what it is designed for Idk how anyone would consider being able to hit a pie plate sized target at 400yds a gift? Why have rifles been designed with graduated iron sights marked up to 1000+yards since the late 1800's?
I'm pretty sure literally every adult male in Switzerland can do it, I'm pretty sure most of our military can do it also, even though they are all given an optic now.

I don't do rifle competitions because I find the people that shoot them kind of stuck up and the matches are boring. The one high power match I ever shot I had just turned 21, was a broke college kid, and I had no clue what it was all about, but I figured it would be fun to shoot a match so I casually showed up in a T-shirt and shorts and sneakers with my ear plugs and safety glasses and just a small harbor freight moving blanket as a shooting mat, I brought a really nice old Colt match HBAR that was my dad's and some 69gr factory ammo and a normal usgi sling, knowing I didn't have the right gear to compete with the top guys but figured I'd have fun trying. I tried to be friendly and have fun, but instead I pretty much got treated like dirt and snubbed by everyone because I didn't show up with a literal wheelbarrow full of shooting jackets and gear and useless crap. I ended up scoring mid pack out of about 35 shooters, which is what I expected, and I haven't bothered since because it was such a miserable experience. I'd much rather just go to the range and have some fun with my friends or family. I've found the same to hold true trying to check out local revolver and pistol matches. Bunch of stuck up old farts that won't give me the time of day, even when I show up early and offer to help set up. I've found that it just seems like they are jealous or don't even want to even resond to me because I'm not dragging around a whole wagon full of gear. Then about half of them seem to get even more offended when I score somewhere in the middle of the pack with my extremely basic gear, like I'm making a mockery of "their" match or something. As far as sports are concerned the shooting sports "community" does a really good job of excluding people, IMHO that's why the competitive shooting sports don't really ever grow to become truly mainstream. The only place I find shooting competition to be friendly and enjoyable is on the skeet field, but only if I stay clear of the trap snobs lol They get really pissy when you out shoot them and their Krieghoff's with your old worn out Sears Model 200 that your grandfather handed down to you when you were 12 or 13 lol
Off-hand? 6” plate at 400 yard? Okay…

Yes, it’s possible, but that’s the same relative size as the X-ring on a 200 yard off-hand target in high power/service rifle.

You’re telling me you can easily not only clean an SR target in off-hand, but get all Xs too? Someone call up the AMU and get this guy enlisted!

Flat out no, most of our military can’t do that, and no not all Swiss men can do it. And I doubt you can either.

Expand your pie plate to 14” and yeah, a lot more people can probably hit it with 50% of the shots off-hand. But most people would still struggle to hit it off-hand even 10% of the time. All you need to do is go to the CMP website and look up 200 yard slow fire scores at the National matches and presidents hundred.

I forgot to put in my OP that I was using a D target, infantry silhouette. Don't know if that really matters? I got a big stack of them for free a while back.

I was literally at the range last weekend fairly consistantly smacking around an 8" plate with a m44 mosin and 203gr soft point brown bear ammo lol at 400yds, I really don't understand why everyone thinks it's so impossible. That rifle is only capable of maybe 2 moa on it's best day and I was only maybe holding it to 4 moa but I was still hitting it about 50% and dancing around it pretty consistently. Anyone can go on youtube and watch iv888 and chad shoot a plain old m91/30 at 600yds with russian light ball and they make plenty of good hits from the bench and neither lf them are world class sponsored shooters either. Robski from AKOU has been doing the same thing out to 600+ with old surplus rifles on his new secondary channel, shooting prone, he is actually scary good with those rifles, definitely better than me. Hell, here's a video of someone shooting a freaking SKS at 400 and 600

View: https://youtu.be/qoVb70yFKLI

Shooting offhand is way different than from a bench or prone. All your “supporting evidence” videos are of people shooting prone or from the bench. I want to see you nail the 6” pie plate at 400 yards offhand as you said, even 50% of your shots.

Even when I’m shooting well and scoring greater than 95 in offhand, I usually only get 2 Xs (same relative size as your pie plate), or 20% of my shots. And that’s with a shooting coat and only at 200 so wind isn’t nearly as much an issue.

Shooting offhand is way different than from a bench or prone. All your “supporting evidence” videos are of people shooting prone or from the bench. I want to see you nail the 6” pie plate at 400 yards offhand as you said, even 50% of your shots.

Even when I’m shooting well and scoring greater than 95 in offhand, I usually only get 2 Xs (same relative size as your pie plate), or 20% of my shots. And that’s with a shooting coat and only at 200 so wind isn’t nearly as much an issue.
I think he said he was holding 1 MOA with irons while prone. I can occasionally manage 1 MOA with irons at 100 yds with perfect conditions, but I can barely see a target at 400 yds, nevermind get 4” groups.

Fish stories aside, his larger point is correct: people do depend on do-dads and scopes to improve their shooting. Scopes help you see better, not shoot better.

I think he said he was holding 1 MOA with irons while prone. I can occasionally manage 1 MOA with irons at 100 yds with perfect conditions, but I can barely see a target at 400 yds, nevermind get 4” groups.

Fish stories aside, his larger point is correct: people do depend on do-dads and scopes to improve their shooting. Scopes help you see better, not shoot better.
He started out saying that, then he spiced it up:
… hand me any common service rifle with a proper sling on it from the late 1890's to now, and some decent ammo and a 6" round white plate anywhere from 100-400yds I will stand there all day off hand and slap that target around without much effort. …

I think @mac1911 would say that’s about as good as it will get with M855
I dont know why people expect anything “good” from M855 being a 3 pc bullet crammed together as fast as they can make.
If its nato stamped brass it most likely was rejected for something other than any safety concerns.
Velocity deviations, to many “crooked” bullets, sealant failure and such.
M193 and M855 should be hits on torso size target expectations.
Its all good. Just keep expectations a tad low when buying bulk ammo.

I dont know why people expect anything “good” from M855 being a 3 pc bullet crammed together as fast as they can make.
If its nato stamped brass it most likely was rejected for something other than any safety concerns.
Velocity deviations, to many “crooked” bullets, sealant failure and such.
M193 and M855 should be hits on torso size target expectations.
Its all good. Just keep expectations a tad low when buying bulk ammo.
Agreed

Get better rifles, folks. :)
Putting M855 through a great rifle is still going to deliver M855 results
Dont forget
The best lots produced go to testing facilities
The next best lots get issued
The least of the acceptable lots go to practice/training
We peons get the rest.
I have very little faith in maintaining small groups with M855
Hits on torso size targets- gtg

Back
Top Bottom