MA clubs that allow moving and shooting

FancyGunz

NES Member
I'm looking for a club that allows "moving while shooting" at targets, preferably with carbines. Are there any south of Boston and not in whatever would be considered "western MA" (might as well be a different planet)? I don't want to be restricted to taking a class to do movement drills.

Any club that does i.d.p.a./u.s.p.s.a./outlaw shoots or practices.
Are you talking like non-event stuff, like show up after work and practice?

I think the OP wants to do it after work/practice.

Most clubs that host USPSA/IDPA matches in the South Shore dont allow moving and shooting unless you are at their official practice or a competition. Most clubs won't even allow you to unholster unless it is a competition or their practice day.

OP, start competing in USPSA / IDPA and you will get a chance to move and shoot.

depending on how much time you have to practice - it may be worth it to travel a bit. also, with the current season - early setting of the sun - you likely will only be able to do this "during the day" (not after work) or on weekends. If you have the time to do the travel I would suggest Harvard Sportsmens Club. Best place around for being able to show up and have enough action pits to actually be able to do what you want. And not a whole lot of stupid rules - just follow the ones that DO exist - unless they have changed significantly in the last 5 years. HSC does actually have an indoor range where IDPA practices and you can do what it on your own so long as there isn't someone else shooting at the same time. But 2 or more of you could take turns.

Hardwick rod and gun has a run and gun range. For pistol and pistol caliber carbine. I was there last weekend. Nice setup.

My best advice, move west
Is that a new range? It looks like they added it near the skeet range. I belong to the club but haven't been there lately.

Here's some general advice, I don't know of any Mass clubs outside the big names like Harvard, Old Colony, and in the 2-gun/3-gun world, Townsend: clubs that have action shooting bays generally allow more leeway for members to set up a practice shooting stage themselves provided rules such as the 180 and "don't shoot over the berm" are adhered to. Your best bet is to follow whatever competition circuit you're interested in, such as USPSA or IDPA pistol or practical shotgun or multigun, and then pick a club from that circuit of clubs that you enjoy the most.

Obviously, COVID's thrown the shooting sports into a degree of disarray, so check old threads on here, talk to members, look at club calendars, and try to do as much research online as possible before walking onto club property.

Rod and Gun club of New Bedford in Dartmouth has action pits also. Sadly, other than Steel challenge they no longer host shooting games.

Any club that does i.d.p.a./u.s.p.s.a./outlaw shoots or practices.
Are you talking like non-event stuff, like show up after work and practice?

Not all action shooting clubs allow the general membership to run similar drills on their own.
One of my favorite clubs to shoot IDPA/USPSA at only allows club range officers to set up that type of shooting on their own.

OP, what town are you in and how far will you travel? Can’t recommend a club without that.

try to do as much research online as possible before walking onto club property.
I disagree with this. Thier are really good clubs like Reading (has a 600 yard range to) that require you to be sponsored by someone. The only way that is happening is by going there and introducing yourself during one of their events. Covid has put a damper on things but events are still going on.

I disagree with this. Thier are really good clubs like Reading (has a 600 yard range to) that require you to be sponsored by someone. The only way that is happening is by going there and introducing yourself during one of their events. Covid has put a damper on things but events are still going on.
I understand almost all events/meetings now are only open for members and due to Covid non-members are not allowed. A closed loop.

OP, what town are you in and how far will you travel? Can’t recommend a club without that.
Mansfield F&G

Mansfield would be perfect driving distance. I didn't realize they allow moving + shooting, how would that work? I have been there for a couple classes before, it's one big outdoor "strip" range.

Hopkinton Sportsman's Club has action pits. 2 of which you can use rifles in (3 if shooting PCC).

I have been to Hopkinton and it looked nice, but I thought you had to be doing a USPSA class or something similar to use those "action pits"?

Hopkinton Sportsman's Club has action pits. 2 of which you can use rifles in (3 if shooting PCC).

Can confirm. I was trottin and bangin on Wednesday morning. That, and mag changes with some failure drills made my 100 rds. of .223 count for more than simply blasting clay pigeons from a rest.
I only have a single target stand, so I still use pigeons, but just as a good indicator of shot placement. A stack of 2 or 3 in the left, middle, and right, at varying degrees of height really gives you multiple targets to engage whilst moving.
Start with 3-4 rounds and a mag with a snap cap somewhere in it, and you’ve got a move, shoot, failure, mag change drill that makes your head spin. I more or leas suck at them all, but no pigeons survived.

Last edited:
Mansfield would be perfect driving distance. I didn't realize they allow moving + shooting, how would that work? I have been there for a couple classes before, it's one big outdoor "strip" range.

I have been to Hopkinton and it looked nice, but I thought you had to be doing a USPSA class or something similar to use those "action pits"?

Hopkinton pits are Open to everyone, at all times, when USPSA and the neighboring PDs haven’t commandeered them (which is often in the summer).
I wound up fighting for parking in August? Because there were dozens of cops having a cookout and shoot fest.
They’re nice enough, but there are a lot of them for many weeks during the summer. I shot some steel and did some mag dumps to let them know civilians are there and can shoot fast and accurately also (kind of). It was worth it, but I want that 9mm ammo back now.

Subbed. Also looking for a club in the same area that will allow for movement shooting/draws.

sounds like Hopkinton and maybe Mansfield(?) might be nice avenues.
Although Mansfield F&G allows this, if anyone else shows up there and wants to shoot from the benches, you will have to move back to the benches to shoot. So this only works if you are the only one there.

Here's some general advice, I don't know of any Mass clubs outside the big names like Harvard, Old Colony, and in the 2-gun/3-gun world, Townsend: clubs that have action shooting bays generally allow more leeway for members to set up a practice shooting stage themselves provided rules such as the 180 and "don't shoot over the berm" are adhered to. Your best bet is to follow whatever competition circuit you're interested in, such as USPSA or IDPA pistol or practical shotgun or multigun, and then pick a club from that circuit of clubs that you enjoy the most.

Obviously, COVID's thrown the shooting sports into a degree of disarray, so check old threads on here, talk to members, look at club calendars, and try to do as much research online as possible before walking onto club property.
Last USPSA match for the season is on December 19. I posted in the General Competition sub forum today.

I understand almost all events/meetings now are only open for members and due to Covid non-members are not allowed. A closed loop.
You understand wrong. Reading has been having rim fire matches monthly, open to everyone. (Check the competition section).

Unless they changed the rules in the past week or two and I didn't hear about it (possible).

Back
Top Bottom