• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma. Gun law Quiz

Lynne,

Unless they held a dual FFL (one in NH and one in MA), no.

Terry Goode has that setup. . . he still has his Vinal Sq address in Chelmsford (with FFL) and his shop really is in Pelham, NH (with NH FFL).

I understand that KTP has a similar setup with a location in NH (with NH FFL) for NH Residents picking up handguns, plus store in ME.

Lynne said:
They can't come in and buy a hand gun and have it sent to a NH FFL???? (Maybe I didn't clarify my other post)

They can most certainly do that. Federal Law allows it. Mass's involvement is ended, since to them it's a shipment to an FFL.

I believe the source for this "quiz"

may be the Brady Campaign website:

http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=MA

I would have gotten many of the questions wrong but for the fact I had been looking at the rating that the Brady people gave MA (A-) and why they think it deserves that grade. For example the "waiting period":

-----------------
WAITING PERIOD
Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Yes

State law requires handgun purchasers to first obtain a permit from law enforcement, which can take up to 40-days. This period is used by law enforcement to run a criminal background check to make sure the handgun buyer is not prohibited from acquiring firearms. The 40-day period also serves as a "cooling off" period to help prevent crimes of passion.
-------------------

...so they use the bureaucratic delay of the state system to fulfill the political desire the Brady people have for waiting periods.

They are also under the false impression that MA somehow requires "purchase permits" for "secondary sales", it sounds like they misunderstand the purpose of the FA-10. Although I guess in a way it is a kind of "purchase permit" for in state sales...

It's just another example of how the left will twist the facts and misrepresent the truth to sell their side of the argument.

Bob

Lynne said:
They can't come in and buy a hand gun and have it sent to a NH FFL???? (Maybe I didn't clarify my other post)

Lynne,

Now you know that is NOT how they meant it!!

I could buy a handgun in Hawaii and have it shipped here, but as far as the "system" (BATFE and states) are concerned, the transaction takes place in my home state.

The quiz was intentionally misleading, but NOT that sophisticated.

WAITING PERIOD
Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Yes

I guess the key word here is "sales"... there is no waiting period on buying handguns in Ma.

Says nothing about waiting on an LTC application. This is a pretty generic quiz with nothing to be gained from it, except how little the anti's really know about gunlaws.

I got a reply from the guy who put the quiz up. It is as follows:

Hi Lynne,
Thanks for contacting me about the quiz. It has been up for about a year and
I have not rechecked the original information which was on it. I plan to
update all the quizzes this weekend.

Best,
Charles Montaldo
Guide to Crime and Punishment at About.com
http://crime.about.com

Lynne,

I got the same reply. Here is my response.

Mr. Montaldo,

Thank you for your reply.

If you are serious about re-doing your quiz for Massachusetts I would like to point you towards a forum that might be of help in getting some good questions and correct answers.

NorthEastShooters.com is a forum devoted to the firearms owners in New England. Many of our members are NRA Instructors, some are lawyers, and more than a few are LEOs. If you were to post your proposed revised quiz on NES I am sure that our members would review it and give you their thoughts to include chapter and verse of Massachusetts General Law where applicable.

Sincerely,
FPrice

Crime and Punishment wrote:

Hi Forrest,
I put the quiz up a little over a year ago. It was designed to be a simple quiz which did not go into much depth about the laws. I plan on rechecking all the gun quizzes over this weekend since apparently there have been several changes. Thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Best,
Charles Montaldo
Guide to Crime and Punishment at About.com
http://crime.about.com

I told him if he wanted correct answers, I could give him numerous email addresses of MA gun owners who were also MA certified instructors, me included. As you can see, he didn't make mention of that.

I put the quiz up a little over a year ago. It was designed to be a simple quiz which did not go into much depth about the laws. I plan on rechecking all the gun quizzes over this weekend since apparently there have been several changes. Thanks for taking the time to contact me.
"Not much depth" or accuracy. Why post it if you're not serious?

As far as having to notify the law authorities for every gun purchase, that answer is wrong too...if you have a C&R license you don't notify anyone fut the person you buy the gun from

depicts said:
As far as having to notify the law authorities for every gun purchase, that answer is wrong too...if you have a C&R license you don't notify anyone fut the person you buy the gun from

NOT TRUE AT ALL!

I suggest that you do some reading in the Gun Law forum, start with the sticky's. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom