MA Gun Laws

The son can report is as a transfer on the eFA-10 using his DPA as the basis for entering his fathers info and password. I would expect the FRB would provide him with his father's LTC PIN if he presented the DPA. This is assuming, of course, that the durable power of attorney is all-encompassing and not limited to specific purposes. I saw one dpa that was "everything except signing the subject into a psychiatric facility against his/her will", and another "solely for the purpose of selling real estate located at ....."
I think the father lives in ME, not MA.

Nothing illegal in storing another's guns for them. Simply do that until such time that ownership transfers.

I've held guns in my safe for people in town who found them cleaning out a relative's home until such time they were licensed or arranged an FFL transfer. My Police Chief actually prefers this over him taking custody.

New to shooting sports and having an LTC. Been reading a lot about ghost guns and problems they can create.
Short of the serial numbered parts can a unlicensed person just buy firearm parts in Ma?

I think it’s been covered previously but I can’t recall if says you need a license or not.

Thanks.

New to shooting sports and having an LTC. Been reading a lot about ghost guns and problems they can create.
Short of the serial numbered parts can a unlicensed person just buy firearm parts in Ma?

I think it’s been covered previously but I can’t recall if says you need a license or not.

Thanks.

You need a license for serialized parts only. Edit - AND preban hi capacity magazines.

Thanks.

Good luck buying ammo without an LTC.

You need a license for serialized parts only. Edit - AND preban hi capacity magazines.
Close. First off, serials do not enter into the issue for those parts not requiring a serial number. It is common for many European semi auto handguns (including the Glock) to serialize the Frame, Slide and barrel. Only the frame requires a serial number.

Under MA law a frame without other parts is not a firearm, therefore no state license is required - though gun shops will pretty much always require a license.

The part about pre-ban high caps is exactly correct.

Close. First off, serials do not enter into the issue for those parts not requiring a serial number. It is common for many European semi auto handguns (including the Glock) to serialize the Frame, Slide and barrel. Only the frame requires a serial number.

True but you're not likely buying those parts in a MA LGS either. I was referring to frames and receivers really. And yeah no LGS here is going to sell you one of those without a license.

Maura Healey has issued guidance to police chiefs in Mass that they can no longer deny unrestricted licenses to applicants if they don't believe the person has a good reason. So every town is now effectively a green town.

Attorney General Maura Healey released guidance Friday for police chiefs in the wake of the decision overturning a gun-permitting law in New York. Under that law, New York residents needed to show proper cause, or an actual need, to carry a concealed handgun in public for self-defense.

Healey’s guidance says that Massachusetts police chiefs can still find applicants ineligible for a license if they are a “prohibited person,” or if the chief deems the person unsuitable to carry a gun because they would pose a risk to public safety.

Police can also still ask applicants their reasons for applying for a license to carry. But they can no longer deny or restrict licenses because they believe the person doesn’t have a “good reason,” according to Healey’s office.

“Going forward, if an applicant is not a prohibited person and is not unsuitable, the applicant must be issued an unrestricted license to carry,” the guidance from Healey, a Democrat, says.

I'm sure she must have hated having to write this :p but I'm glad that people living in places like Boston, or Newton, or Brighton, or Brookline, will now not be treated like potential criminals when applying.

Maura Healey has issued guidance to police chiefs in Mass that they can no longer deny unrestricted licenses to applicants if they don't believe the person has a good reason. So every town is now effectively a green town.

I'm sure she must have hated having to write this :p but I'm glad that people living in places like Boston, or Newton, or Brighton, or Brookline, will now not be treated like potential criminals when applying.
She says they can still deny licenses based on “suitability”.

She says they can still deny licenses based on “suitability”.
And also notes that the reason for the request can be used as part of a suitability determination. Keep it simple - "lawful purposes" - you no longer need to provide a justification or need.

The AG has no authority to instruct the PD to do or not do anything. The CoP can follow this or not without repercussions.

Curious and sorry if covered ad nauseum....

For license renewals- can I buy guns and ammo with renewal letter? Or is doing so depends on the FFL or person doing transfer?

After 90 days and no new license comes, do I report to jail .

Curious and sorry if covered ad nauseum....

For license renewals- can I buy guns and ammo with renewal letter? Or is doing so depends on the FFL or person doing transfer?

After 90 days and no new license comes, do I report to jail .
For Resident (only) renewals, if your PD processed your renewal BEFORE expiration AND gave you the MIRCS receipt (and only this receipt counts), read the last line at the bottom of that form for your answer. That said, some/many FFLs won't do business with you and big box stores won't sell you any ammo/guns and perhaps no accessories either.

Anything else . . . late submittal by PD or other receipt, and the answer is NO.

For Resident (only) renewals, if your PD processed your renewal BEFORE expiration AND gave you the MIRCS receipt (and only this receipt counts), read the last line at the bottom of that form for your answer. That said, some/many FFLs won't do business with you and big box stores won't sell you any ammo/guns and perhaps no accessories either.

Anything else . . . late submittal by PD or other receipt, and the answer is NO.
I feel like I've heard that there's a short period during the overlap where the new (late) LTC is printed and en route where the old one wouldn't work for a firearms purchase, but I can't corroborate. Do you have more info on that?

I feel like I've heard that there's a short period during the overlap where the new (late) LTC is printed and en route where the old one wouldn't work for a firearms purchase, but I can't corroborate. Do you have more info on that?
Yes, that is correct. Once FRB prints the new LTC and assigns a new PIN, your old ones won't work in the eFA-10s.

Hello all!
My cousin got into a scuffle at a concert with a drunk guy who tried tipping a portajohn over that his girlfriend was in. Long story short, him and the guy got arrested and his LTC is being suspended until/if the matter is cleared up.

He has 5 guns he in going to transfer to me (yes, I have my LTC). However, we were looking up the laws and it states he can only transfer 4 firearms per year from how we understood it.

Does this apply in this scenario? This is hopefully a temporary thing and we will transfer them back at some point.

Thank you in advance?

Hello all!
My cousin got into a scuffle at a concert with a drunk guy who tried tipping a portajohn over that his girlfriend was in. Long story short, him and the guy got arrested and his LTC is being suspended until/if the matter is cleared up.

He has 5 guns he in going to transfer to me (yes, I have my LTC). However, we were looking up the laws and it states he can only transfer 4 firearms per year from how we understood it.

Does this apply in this scenario? This is hopefully a temporary thing and we will transfer them back at some point.

Thank you in advance?

It always applies.

You should get an FFL to do most of the boring stuff.

If it wasn't clear, the limit only applies to face to face transfers, there is no limit when done through an FFL.
In your friends case it might be a good idea to have confirmation of the transfer from an FFL. It shouldn't matter but better to play it safe.

Hello all!

Thank you in advance?
I believe that there is no limit if transferring guns that the police confiscated. I remember reading this some years ago, but don't have a handy reference for it.

Hello all!

Thank you in advance?
Interesting.

I believe that there is no limit if transferring guns that the police confiscated. I remember reading this some years ago, but don't have a handy reference for it.

I wonder if it's an interpretation of C140 S129D - first paragraph.

S129D Upon revocation, suspension or denial of an application for a firearm identification card pursuant to section 129B or for any firearms license if the firearm identification card is not then in force or for any machine gun license, the person whose application was so revoked, suspended or denied shall without delay deliver or surrender to the licensing authority where the person resides all firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition which the person then possesses unless an appeal of the revocation or suspension is pending. The person or the person's legal representative shall have the right, at any time up to 1 year after the delivery or surrender, to transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition to any licensed dealer or any other person legally permitted to purchase or take possession of the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition and...

First sentence refers to surrendering "all firearms, rifles, shotguns..". When the second talks about the ability "... to transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns ...", they would appear to be defined by the first bit as all of them that were surrendered, and not limited by the 4 maximum transfers defined elsewhere in the MA legal maze of gun law.

My best guess, anyway. I know I've read that too, and also can't remember where.

If it wasn't clear, the limit only applies to face to face transfers, there is no limit when done through an FFL.
In your friends case it might be a good idea to have confirmation of the transfer from an FFL. It shouldn't matter but better to play it safe.
If the person’s LTC has been suspended, is FTF even an option?

That’s the one! He’s a good kid, not a trouble maker by any means. However that’s all irrelevant to the transfer.

He still has possession of the firearms, the issuing town told him he could transfer them rather than surrender them.

That’s the one! He’s a good kid, not a trouble maker by any means. However that’s all irrelevant to the transfer.

He still has possession of the firearms, the issuing town told him he could transfer them rather than surrender them.
In that case, he can only transfer 4 without using an FFL.

Back
Top Bottom