• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Laws

Hi All,

First time gun-owner here. I’m interested learning more about the MA Gun Laws, specifically regarding things that we may actually encounter on our day to day.

I’ve searched through the forums and I’m finding information on mostly transportation of firearms as well as weapon rosters. There’s an online course I can take for $100 in the next few days but I’m not sure it’s necessary if the information can be found online... the items covered are as follows:

• Places you cannot go with a firearm
  • How to store your firearm without going to jail
  • What happens if your concealed firearm becomes visible to others
  • What mistakes will cause you to lose your license
  • What most people do not understand about the Mass Assault Weapons Ban...and why they risk going to jail
  • Understanding the basics of self-defense law in Mass
Does anyone have useful links that could lead me in the right direction?

I appreciate it.

Save the $100 and...
Step 1- read the ma law sections on this site
Step 2- read "the law of self defense" by Andrew Branca.
Step 3-delete this thread before starting steps 1 and 2. Or risk an extreme amount of replies that will mock you.

Fair. I went through that thread but didn’t find what I was looking for. I probably deserve the incoming mock fest. It’s alright.

Spend the day with LenS to get a decent overview.
I'm likely done teaching in MA and haven't secured a classroom location in NH to use yet. My Mass Gun Laws by and for Non-Lawyers seminar is precisely what the OP is asking for.

When I'm running classes, they'll be listed on the calendar page at 2A Training

Fair. I went through that thread but didn’t find what I was looking for. I probably deserve the incoming mock fest. It’s alright.
GOAL.org is an excellent resource for most of what you are looking for. Check them out and donate if possible

Welcome fellow gun enthusiast.

Do you see that little magnifying glass looking thingy at the top of the page that says search? Click it and enter some keywords from the topics you listed in the OP.

All of those topics have been discussed at some point somewhere on this website. Lurk moar.

Last edited:
OP:

1) Welcome
2) Did you take an LTC course? If so, at least some of the questions that you asked, should have been answered.
3) Don't be afraid to ask questions - but, you'll get fewer snarky replies, if you do some surfing through this section of the site.
4) Mass gun laws are a fuster cluck, and even people that know them fairly well can still get surprised by nuance.

Short form:

Places you cannot go with a firearm Federal buildings, court houses, post office, school property (not just inside)

How to store your firearm without going to jail In a locked container, or trigger locked. This is for at home, not your car

What happens if your concealed firearm becomes visible to others Probably nothing, if you're not violating a law (wardrobe malfunction exposing your 2A is not unlawful) That said, try not to.

What mistakes will cause you to lose your license Doing major stoopid sh!t, or minor stooipd sh!t with a gun

What most people do not understand about the Mass Assault Weapons Ban...and why they risk going to jail
NO easy answer

Understanding the basics of self-defense law in Mass Avoid confrontation, even if you're in the right , it will be hell.

Enjoy.

Really finding Gun Sense by Mark Shean useful for learning MA laws. On Amazon.
Tons of great info on NES of course too, just be mindful of post dates.

If you are new- you might be able to find this information online but you will likely be confused by what you find. The laws are rather complex, and most gun stores and police officers will give you at least some incorrect information.

For a new person, $100 is a very low price to get oriented. Before you go, write down some specific questions tailored to your situation and what you plan to do. Then you can ask during the class.

Yeah, it's a bargain, if they have the correct info.

If it's "Everything in illegal in Massachusetts," it is almost as bad as some of the stuff you hear in gun shops.

My question is that it's an online course - why is it online? Is it because the instructor is laagered up for Covid, or because they're an "expert" located in North Treestump Minnesota, with a deep, penetrating knowledge of all states' laws?

It's kind of like taking an out-of-state Hunter Ed course - it's lawful to use it to get your hunting license in Mass, but important stuff relating to major no-nos in the DPRM (carrying a handun while attempting to murder Bambi, is a big one) will not be mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom