• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA H3476 definition of "Replica Firearms" UPDATE Bill "dead" for this session

How about if some crackhead has a real gun, and just paint the orange markings on it? He would then have a replica of a replica gun.

Since the real gun now looks like a replica gun, anyone can open carry it and wander around everywhere with it, because everybody will think it's a replica. Perfect for someone planning some criminal act on a grand scale.
With the correct replica marking..Would that remove the probable cause for the police to even check to see if it is real..?

Whoever this Rep Dan Cullinane is, he is a f*cktard.

Dan Cullinane
    Massachusetts State Representative

Daniel R. Cullinane is an American politician serving in the Massachusetts House of Representatives since September 2013. He is a Boston resident from the neighborhood of Dorchester and a member of the Democratic Party. Wikipedia

Office: Massachusetts State Representative since 2013

Don't worry you just have to have a really cool paint job that goes with the Orange racing stripes!

Unless this state takes a huge swing we are screwed.
There's what 375k licensed gun owners in ma.
4.5 million voters..... 3mil showed up for 2012 election.

So to have any real impact on anything here in mass all 375k of us need to stand up and show up.

Anyone remember when pellet guns bbs and pellets needed fid to buy?

Last edited:
Unless this state takes a huge swing we are screwed.
There's what 375k licensed gun owners in ma.
4.5 million voters..... 3mil showed up for 2012 election.

So to have any real impact on anything here in mass all 375k of us need to stand up and show up.

I take a little (very little) comfort in a recent report - can't remember exactly where I heard it - that MA FID/LTC holders have jumped by 66% since 2010. I realize there is still a looooong way to go before there will be enough of us to be a serious political force, but without a little hope and faith, why even try?

Am I reading this right, but there's no law against possession, only import, manufacture, sell, holding for sale, and distribution? It also does not list penalties, but does allow a LEO to confiscate?

My rookie attempt at reading and understanding seems like this would stop the sale of replicas in MA, but do nothing to prevent someone from bringing them in for their personal use from another state. If you were an idiot with it, an officer could confiscate, or show up to an Airsoft match and take everyones.

Am I reading this right, but there's no law against possession, only import, manufacture, sell, holding for sale, and distribution? It also does not list penalties, but does allow a LEO to confiscate?

My rookie attempt at reading and understanding seems like this would stop the sale of replicas in MA, but do nothing to prevent someone from bringing them in for their personal use from another state. If you were an idiot with it, an officer could confiscate, or show up to an Airsoft match and take everyones.
Another win for new hampster.

I'm going to have to take my baikal IZH-47M target paper punch and have it powder coated bright green, or maybe CeraKote in orange/black stripes.

Let them pass it, i want to see the 1000s of kids jailed for having a red rider. This state is full of dipshits

The way that will play out:
Hunter and Clifford in Weston will get a finger wag to avoid any smudges which might keep them out of honor society at Princeton.
Pho, Juan, and Tyree in Boston will get sent to juvenile hall as DCF destroys their parents' lives.

Reading it a little more closely, I think you will be able to keep your 'pre ban' bb guns, aside from the provision in the bill which allows police to confiscate them anytime they feel like it, even in the absence of a crime committed. However, since no manufacturers are going to bother making "MA-compliant' airguns, it will be essentially a ban on all future purchases in the state. Hopefully somebody who knows more about MA law than me can analyze this bill and read more into the implications. I was wrong about the hearing date; it appears the hearing was yesterday (the 7th) in front of the Public Safety & Homeland Security committee. So maybe contacting the members of that committee would be the best course of action in the short term.

Oh, that makes it all ok.

Anyone know how this hearing turned out???

Rep. Dan Cullinane's bill that would require orange stripes be painted on all replica guns, including BB and pellet guns, had a hearing where the gun lobby said criminals could easily disguise their weapons as toys. But DeLeo clearly wants to follow Walsh's lead by doing something to help police do their jobs and avoid unnecessary shootings or deaths.
http://concord.wickedlocal.com/article/20160114/NEWS/160118255/?Start=3

"
Though no one testified in opposition to the bill at the hearing, committee co-chair Rep. Harold Naughton asked supporters to respond to a comment Wallace made in a Boston Globe article suggesting the legislation would be ineffective because criminals could add markings to a real gun to make it appear to be a fake.
"
http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20160108/mass-lawmakers-urged-to-pass-fake-gun-bill

Let it pass.

Seriously... let it pass.

This would make it impossible for any store to sell most toy guns, and any BB gun, airsoft, etc. It would also open the door for confiscation of said items.

Let's see what rest of the sate has to say about gun laws that "don't affect them" when they can't buy their kid an airsoft gun for Christmas. Let's see what happens when the police start taking away little Johnnie's airsoft gun.

Airsoft looks mighty real. This is just common sense (replica) gun control to keep the kids safe from trigger happy police. If it saves just one life it is worth it, right?

No one is comming for your airsoft guns...

Let the rest of the people see and understand.

They'll order it online or go to NH, ME, VT, et al.

You don't get it....."THEY will see nothing and understand even LESS. The "rest of the people" you speak of don't give a flying rat's ass. They are happy to be led around with a ring in their nose, a boot on their neck, government's hand in their wallets and a government gun to their head.

They'll order it online or go to NH, ME, VT, et al.

You don't get it....."THEY will see nothing and understand even LESS. The "rest of the people" you speak of don't give a flying rat's ass. They are happy to be led around with a ring in their nose, a boot on their neck, government's hand in their wallets and a government gun to their head.

You are, of course, absolutely right. There will always be neighboring states and the on-line approach. I have a little remaining hope that when they get all the way through the checkout process on the Walmart web page and it tells them you can't have that in MA, they will start to grumble about stupid laws. I have a little hope that the MA AG will start sending letter threatening prosecution to Amazon and other on-line retailers if they ship to MA. I want to see the sporting goods stores in NH refusing to sell to a MA billing address because of a stupid law. All stuff we have to deal with on some level all the time.

I have some last remaining hope that something like this might finally make some small percent of the population start to wake up.

As I said, you are right. They won't. Somehow we will end up to blame for their minor inconvenience, not the representatives that passed this. I think I will stop there. I have a much more cynical rant brewing and it is way to early for that.

I have a much more cynical rant brewing and it is way to early for that.

Me too. How about we channel that energy into contacting the members of the Joint Committee on Public Safety & Homeland Security and our individual reps, and convince them that this bill "needs further study" due to all of its obvious idiocy?

Here's the members of the committee. I'll try to collect all their contact info into one spot this morning so nobody has to go chase it down

Rep. Dan Cullinane's bill that would require orange stripes be painted on all replica guns, including BB and pellet guns, had a hearing where the gun lobby said criminals could easily disguise their weapons as toys. But DeLeo clearly wants to follow Walsh's lead by doing something to help police do their jobs and avoid unnecessary shootings or deaths.
http://concord.wickedlocal.com/article/20160114/NEWS/160118255/?Start=3

"
Though no one testified in opposition to the bill at the hearing, committee co-chair Rep. Harold Naughton asked supporters to respond to a comment Wallace made in a Boston Globe article suggesting the legislation would be ineffective because criminals could add markings to a real gun to make it appear to be a fake.
"
http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20160108/mass-lawmakers-urged-to-pass-fake-gun-bill

Wrote my State Rep and Senator and let them know how asinine I think this proposal is FWIW. My Sen (Ross) is on the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. It's really kind of sad that no one on the pro gun side seems to care.

Joint Public Safety comittee member contact info

OK, I compiled a lit of Joint Public Safety committee members contact info. I've been meaning to do this for awhile as it can be reused for any of the anti-2a measures that come down the pike which usually go through this committee. We had a similar list a few years ago with the mess at the State House and it came in real handy then but I think some of the members have changed. Snail mail and telephone calls are better than emails but it is really easy to whip up an email that goes to all members.

When writing an email, put one of the below addresses in the "To" field, and copy the rest of the addresses below individually into the CC or BCC field. I tried to do it as one long semicolon delimited text but the post automatically shortened the text string, so you will have to enter the addresses individually.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Here's the individual info of the House and Senate members on the committee
House Members

Harold P. Naughton, Jr. House Chairman (D Clinton)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Fax: 617-722-9278 Email: [email protected] District Office 200 High Street, 1st Floor Clinton, MA 01510 Phone: 978-365-1955 Fax: 978-368-8458

Linda Dean Campbell House Vice Chair (D Methuen)
State House Room 236 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2430F ax: 617-722-9278 Email: [email protected]

Bruce J. Ayers (D Quincy)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Email: [email protected]

James J. Dwyer (D Woburn)
State House Room 254 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2220 Fax: 617-626-0831 Email: [email protected]

Alan Silvia (D Fall River)
State House Room 174B oston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2877 Fax: 617-626-0168 Email: [email protected]

Paul Tucker (D Salem)
State House Room 134 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2400 Email: [email protected]

Timothy R. Whelan (R Brewster)
State House Room 39 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2014 Email: [email protected]

James M. Cantwell (D Marshfield)
State House Room 22 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2140 Fax: 617-626-0835 Email: [email protected]

Paul R. Heroux (D Attleboro)
State House Room 540 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2090 Fax: 617-626-0335 Email: [email protected] District Office 444 Newport Ave. Attleboro, MA 02703 Phone: 508-639-9511

Rady Mom (D Lowell)
State House Room 443 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2460 Email: [email protected]

David T. Vieira (R East Falmouth)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Email: [email protected] District Office 346 Gifford Street Unit 3 Falmouth, MA 02540 Phone: 508-548-8683

Senate Members

James E. Timilty Senate Chair (D Walpole)
State House Room 507 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617 722-1222 Fax: 617-722-1056 Email: [email protected]

Michael O. Moore Senate Vice Chair (D Millbury)
State House Room 109-B Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1485 Fax: 617-722-1066 Email: [email protected] District Office3 6 North Quinsigamond Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545 Phone: (508) 757-0323 x 13

Sonia Chang-Diaz (D Boston)
State House Room 111 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1673 Fax: 617-722-1079Email: [email protected]

Jennifer L. Flanagan (D Leominster)
State House Room 312D Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1230 Fax: 617-722-1130 Email: [email protected] District Office 24 Church Street, Leominster, MA 01453 Phone: 978-534-3388

James T. Welch (D West Springfield)
State House Room 309 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1660 Email: [email protected] District Office 32-34 Hampden Street Springfield, MA 01103 Phone: 413-737-7756 Fax: 413-306-5179

Richard J. Ross Assistant Minority Leader (R Wrentham)
State House Room 419 Boston, MA 0213 3Phone: 617-722-1555 Fax: 617-722-1054 Email: [email protected]

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
If anyone knows how I can post one long string of semicolon separated email addresses without the software automatically shortening it with a ... between the first & last addresses, I would be curious how to do it.

Last edited:
I believe that this bill, if passed , will also destroy paint ball in Mass,
I believe that there is a section stating that the barrel has to be plugged.
Good bye ma paint ball.
ggboy

The way that will play out:
Hunter and Clifford in Weston will get a finger wag to avoid any smudges which might keep them out of honor society at Princeton.
Pho, Juan, and Tyree in Boston will get sent to juvenile hall as DCF destroys their parents' lives.

Boom.

Here's a mail merge with their Capital Hill addresses:

It has some conditionals for middle initials and suffixes like "Jr.", be careful if you muck with those parts.

Obviously edit the text and return address.

View attachment joint-public-safety_merge.zip

I got the data from a previous post, but I might have buggered it in the translation, so let me know if there's errors.

If you don't have Word or it can't handle the document or something, I can probably just make you a PDF with all the pages you can print yourself.

The Senate vice-chairman of the public-safety committee, Michael O. Moore, D-Millbury, said Thursday: “This is a matter of public safety. The last thing we want is a child or anyone getting shot by a police officer because they had a gun that looked realistically like an authentic firearm.”
http://www.telegram.com/article/20160123/news/160129585

Well, that's easy: Don't shoot children.

Duh.

Back
Top Bottom