MA law and shooting gray squirrels with pellet gun

As @Rob Boudrie pointed out in another thread:
"Departments often have good data management/record keeping systems. When I apply in my town, I expect the licensing officer will pull up all calls for service involving my address, as well as anything with my name in the report - including stuff as innocuous as my asking them to check out suspicious activity or reporting a hit & run in front of my house. I don't want extra stuff about interpersonal confrontations in that data pull even if I was in the right. Sometimes it is best to get lost in a crowd of one (a/k/a be the gray man)."

I have never called the police to find out if something was legal, but now I won't for sure. Dead squirrell shows up w/ a hole in it on neighbors porch, or worse it's still flopping around, next thing you know...

Trap 'em, dunk 'em and be done w/ 'em. And, in case you're thinking about it, the Squirrelinator trap is useless, they get in and out of it at will Rugged Ranch Squirrelinator Trap Only SQRTO
Besides, you wouldn't call the police, only the local DA would tell you with any authority if something was good to go or not.

Besides, you wouldn't call the police, only the local DA would tell you with any authority if something was good to go or not.
Not a good idea in MA. DAs will invent crimes to charge people with and double down when proven wrong. I've seen it with my own eyes.

When I was a kid we had an infestation of flying squirrels in our house.
Ditto with The Bride's first boss,
who owned a house in Framingham with cathedral-ceilinged living room.

I was washing dishes and my dad was drying when one popped his head out of the cabinet. My dad grabbed a chef knife and stabbed it. DRT.
The Boss is sitting there one evening when he notices scurrying up on the cross beam.
"Eeek! A mouse". (<= I'm relatively confident he's not on NES)
He winds up to whip a magazine at it... (See above comment about "not NES material")
...when it leaps off the beam, sprouts sailing wings, and soars over his head. [shocked]

This was in the 1980's and he's not done being gobsmacked over that one.[rofl2]

Ditto with The Bride's first boss,
who owned a house in Framingham with cathedral-ceilinged living room.

The Boss is sitting there one evening when he notices scurrying up on the cross beam.
"Eeek! A mouse". (<= I'm relatively confident he's not on NES)
He winds up to whip a magazine at it... (See above comment about "not NES material")
...when it leaps off the beam, sprouts sailing wings, and soars over his head. [shocked]

This was in the 1980's and he's not done being gobsmacked over that one.[rofl2]
My old man is nuts:
Took a bat out with a hammer. Grabbed a bald faced hornets nest with his winter gloves only wearing a t-shirt and tossed it into the woods, and yes dispatched several flying squirrels with whatever was at hand.
I even saw him cut through his circular saw’s cord and after a brief eye adjustment from the flash just keep going.
80 and putting an addition on the garage by himself. He had a stroke five years ago.
DNGAF!

Last edited:
My old man is nuts
One time I spotted a paper wasp sitting on the garage window Upstate,
and I'm like, uh oh; it's go time. (I may have an allergy).

My father just grabs the flyswatter off the hook by the kitchen door,
and starts wailing on the window like he's tenderizing steak or something.

Keeps missing the wasp (he was in his 80's);
but the wasp is so scared it stays on the defensive -
dodging the swatter, desperately trying to find
a way to get through the window instead of going Full Stingy.

In the end I think my father scared the wasp to death.
The Great White Hunter has many weapons.
[rofl2]

When I was a kid we had an infestation of flying squirrels in our house.
I was washing dishes and my dad was drying when one popped his head out of the cabinet. My dad grabbed a chef knife and stabbed it. DRT.
He just slid the knife into the sink and went back to drying dishes like a boss.
Never forget that.
I'll bet you behaved real well for a few days, too!

Back
Top Bottom