• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA license portal not updated after move notification

Last March, I finally escaped MA for NH. On April 8, within 30 days of the move, I sent the statutory LTC change-of-address notification to the FRB and to my old town's police department.

Unfortunately, I still need to travel to MA with some regularity, so I need a non-resident LTC. I was holding off on this until after Bruen was decided because otherwise I'd likely have gotten stuck with restrictions, but I mailed my application package last week.

While I was filling out that application, I looked up the status of my old resident LTC in the online portal, and found that it was still showing as valid and associated with my old address, three months after I sent the change form in. Just wondering if:

1. This is normal and nothing to worry about,
2. This is not normal but nobody cares, or
3. This is not normal and I can look forward to the state police playing gotcha games over it

In case of (3), I do still have my certified mail receipts.

It happened to me a few years ago. Call the FRB and they will update it over the phone if you want to change it. Though I’m not sure how they view out of state changes on resident licenses so I can’t help you with that.

I moved from MA to CT shortly after receiving a new LTC and sent all the notification letters. Four years later I moved back to MA and when I attempted to apply for a new LTC in my new MA town, the licensing officer said my old license was still valid. When I left MA for good a couple years later I just packed my shit and left.

It happened to me a few years ago. Call the FRB and they will update it over the phone if you want to change it. Though I’m not sure how they view out of state changes on resident licenses so I can’t help you with that.

I've already complied with my statutory duty and I'm not going to rock the boat any further unless they rock it first. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Last March, I finally escaped MA for NH. On April 8, within 30 days of the move, I sent the statutory LTC change-of-address notification to the FRB and to my old town's police department.

Unfortunately, I still need to travel to MA with some regularity, so I need a non-resident LTC. I was holding off on this until after Bruen was decided because otherwise I'd likely have gotten stuck with restrictions, but I mailed my application package last week.

While I was filling out that application, I looked up the status of my old resident LTC in the online portal, and found that it was still showing as valid and associated with my old address, three months after I sent the change form in. Just wondering if:

1. This is normal and nothing to worry about,
2. This is not normal but nobody cares, or
3. This is not normal and I can look forward to the state police playing gotcha games over it

In case of (3), I do still have my certified mail receipts.

Online portal? Where is this?

I filed one before, went to purchase a new gun 6+ months later and the FFL said it was still showing my old address.

Sounds like they just suck.

Ah, interesting. Mine shows my NH address with “resident” as the license type

I have no idea on my old LTC status in MA is when I left in Jan but I wanted to be able to prove without a doubt I was permanently out of the state for tax reasons.
I sent letters to the town and state. The licensing Sgt sent me a congratulations text on getting out as he is dying to GTFO. Obtained Maine resident CC and non resident NH PP. NH was awesome to do it early with renewal at the same time. Maine was even easier and faster thru the SP for
$2.00. Moved all banking out of MA as fast as possible. Maintained my EZ Pass account being able to prove I was no longer traveling. Changed all the normal address stuff.

This is interesting, I applied for a non res, as I live in NH now. It hasn't come thru yet. I checked my license thru the portal, they have my NH address, with a Resident license.

Awesome

This is interesting, I applied for a non res, as I live in NH now. It hasn't come thru yet. I checked my license thru the portal, they have my NH address, with a Resident license.

Awesome
If it could be done thru the mail then I’d be all over it even if I had to take a safety course over 41 years from the last one.
The last thing I’m doing is driving to Boston to beg for one. f*** that noise!! I don’t even want to go back unless necessary.

Awesome
Are they still forcing people to get an appointment every year for out of State?

I always thought that was such bullsh*t. Just take the money and be done with it.

A call should fix that if you are so inclined. No big deal if you leave it as is either.
Ah, interesting. Mine shows my NH address with “resident” as the license type
So does my Wife's and my LTCs. Not only that, but I got a renewal notice sent to my current NH address to renew my machine gun license. :D
They do not expire your resident LTC upon notification, only if the issuing PD requests FRB to do so (which most don't).
Are they still forcing people to get an appointment every year for out of State?

I always thought that was such bullsh*t. Just take the money and be done with it.
One visit every 6 years. In between it is done strictly by Mail.

A call should fix that if you are so inclined. No big deal if you leave it as is either.

So does my Wife's and my LTCs. Not only that, but I got a renewal notice sent to my current NH address to renew my machine gun license. :D
They do not expire your resident LTC upon notification, only if the issuing PD requests FRB to do so (which most don't).

One visit every 6 years. In between it is done strictly by Mail.

So I can carry in MA on a MA resident LTC even though I’m no longer a resident? (At least until it expires?)

I checked the same thing out of curiosity, and it took months for the address to update after I received the USPS return receipt.

So I can carry in MA on a MA resident LTC even though I’m no longer a resident? (At least until it expires?)
I'd think that if you got caught that the ADA would make the point to a judge/jury that your LTC was no longer valid and what you did was illegal.
You can carry anywhere with or without an LTC until you get caught.
Bingo!

i just left the state without notifying anyone. didn't really seem like a big deal especially if i wasn't going to be around. outa sight outa mind kind of thing. my mass ltc was expiring in the first 6 months of being gone. i called back here and asked the authorities that were, what should i do.

"you planning on a trip back?'

" yep, xmas time."

" ok, come in and see us."

ffw to december. "any family perhaps living at the address on your expired ltc?"

" yep, my mom lives there now."

" we'll renew your ltc, mail it to that address. would she be willing to foward it to you at your location?"

" yes, of course."

" ok, anyone asks, tell 'em you're on a temporary work assignment and you haven't decided if you are going to stay."

" ok, thanks."

happy to report i didn't loose a moments sleep over the arrangement. my mom mailed it to me as discussed. i came back 3.5 years later and carried on, didn't miss a beat. no jail time either!

Can you get away with it - yes, probably. Unless something else brings it to the state's attention.

My thought is that this: MGL C.140 S.131 (f)

(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed. A license may be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority if it appears that the holder is no longer a suitable person to possess such license.

Would imply that the licensing authority should have revoked/suspended when on the event of receiving a change of address to NH (or wherever out of state) unless you had other qualifications than residency to be issued an LTC. Or it could be that the FRB database address is simply considered a mailing address and is not indicating residency status? And then suitability gets dragged into it. Would a MA court consider moving out of state a suitability issue? My gut feeling is they probably would.

I'm not aware of any case law on this - anyone heard of any?

Can you get away with it - yes, probably. Unless something else brings it to the state's attention.

Would imply that the licensing authority should have revoked/suspended when on the event of receiving a change of address to NH (or wherever out of state) unless you had other qualifications than residency to be issued an LTC. Or it could be that the FRB database address is simply considered a mailing address and is not indicating residency status? And then suitability gets dragged into it. Would a MA court consider moving out of state a suitability issue? My gut feeling is they probably would.

"suitability" is out.

i am not the smartest person on this stuff. when i got my first ltc, there was very few laws on the books regarding this. so over the years, stupid is as stupid does. i remember discussing this with maybe len, or it could have been rob, several years ago. he invited me to attend the course he was teaching to catch up with massachusetts law. that's why i usually give a flippant answer when someone gets all shook over stuff like this. i just don't worry about it. what's really important to me is the legalities of having to use a firearm for self defense. a lot of people think you blast away and you'll be home for dinner. no, that won't usually happen. i have had a different priority and agenda because of ignorance of the law, which gets more complicated as the years go by. really wish i took that course.

This would make sense .. since you were licensed for 5 years in MA, you shouldn't be automatically disqualified because you crossed a line on a map.

But, we are talking about MA.

I guess someone could make the argument thar if you get arrested in NH, MA wouldn't know and so on ... but if that is such a big issue then why os the State so lame to update information?

This State hates guns, you would think they would rush to make you a prohibited person.

I could have sworn that the law was really explicit about this and that moving out of MA or even traveling outside it for too long invalidates your LTC, but now I can't find the statute I was thinking of. Did it maybe get dropped in 2013? Anyway, my textual understanding of the current law is that since "a license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed", moving away is supposed to trigger revocation but your license stays valid until a license authority actually acts to revoke it. However, I'm pretty sure the Commonwealth won't agree with that. In April, I called the FRB for clarification about move-out procedures (specifically, whether I needed to return or destroy my LTC card — answer: no) and during that conversation the officer was very explicit that I should not carry in MA until I get my non-resident LTC.

I know that, and you know that, but the AG and the letter she sent out to licensing officials don't know 'nuffin about losing suitability.
I don't know that. The opinion of the court in Bruen carefully avoided addressing this head-on. Kavanaugh's concurrence, joined by Roberts, was more clear that he considered the kind of subjective discretion afforded to MA licensing officers unacceptable, but it's anyone's guess where the other four members of the majority would stand on this. Of course if officers get sufficiently abusive with their discretion then all six members of the Bruen majority and maybe even some of the liberals will slap them down on an as-applied basis, but I don't know which way a facial challenge will go.

I don't think MA is capable of conceiving any circumstance where an inmate - sorry, citizen would ever leave the Democratic Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. After all, it's so wonderful here. Maybe if they were going to California...

/sarc
Even with the "sarc" you are probably right. I bet they get better benefits here than anywhere else in New England.

I was holding off on this until after Bruen was decided because otherwise I'd likely have gotten stuck with restrictions, but I mailed my application package last week.
Not likely unless you're a green card holder.

Every single person I know that's applied for a non-res LTC has gotten all lawful purposes, myself included. If you're "washed" - i.e., had an ALP MA resident LTC, even more so. Obviously the equation changes if you put something stupid on the application that would box you in, like "I hunt in MA twice a year" or "I like to do some trap competitions each autumn."

The application said all green card holders would get "competition only" - curious to see if that changes with Bruen.

Last edited:
I filed one before, went to purchase a new gun 6+ months later and the FFL said it was still showing my old address.

Sounds like they just suck.
Correct- Ma.gov loathes private gun ownership. I bet they have one person handling all of these transactions. In their view they can infringe all they want with bureaucracy

Back
Top Bottom