• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC A ALP Buying Ammo in NH and Maine?

XenoSaber

NES Member
Is this allowed? I am going to Both and would like to stop at the Kittery Trading Post and some others. I know I can't buy guns, but what about the ammo?

if you go to kittery trading post,just buy the ammo and keep your mouth shut.not because its illegal but because you dont know whos listening.

I've been in the majority of gun shops in Maine over the years, and I've never heard the question from a dealer to an ammo-buying customer "what state are you from?"

I once went to buy some 16ga slugs at the KTP. I realized I was out of state, and asked if they accepted either my MA LTC or my NH LTC, I was told by the very nice lady, "I'm sorry honey, we can't accept those, I'll need cash or a credit card"

When I laughed and mentioned that I forgot I was in Free America, she replied that "the chair is against the wall"

It made my month, and I still smile about that encounter...

While the law here in free america doesn't require any sort of FID crap, Jim from Manchester Firing Line stated in the Manchester show thread that he asks for FID when selling ammo at BATFE's request

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/88397-Manchester-Show-Jan-9-10-2010/page2

make of that what you will. I've had state line request id when I was buying ammo in the shop (I surely don't look too young) but I believe State Line has licenses in Mass and NH so they may have to comply with Mass laws.

The Walmart in Seabrook has always asked me for a Ma LTC. Never had anyone in Me ask the same question. BTW You can buy new handguns as long as they are on the list,bought a Para there sometime back. Did the paperwork at 4Seasons.

While the law here in free america doesn't require any sort of FID crap, Jim from Manchester Firing Line stated in the Manchester show thread that he asks for FID when selling ammo at BATFE's request

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/88397-Manchester-Show-Jan-9-10-2010/page2

make of that what you will. I've had state line request id when I was buying ammo in the shop (I surely don't look too young) but I believe State Line has licenses in Mass and NH so they may have to comply with Mass laws.

We were asked by BATF&E to see the LTC. This is not to punish you,I don't even write your info on my invoices. There are less than honest gang banging pricks from Mass that come here and traffic ammunition to the other slugs there. I think it's good at we do this,as your AG might make it illegal for you if the problem ever makes it to the front pages.
FWIW - Jim

if you go to kittery trading post,just buy the ammo and keep your mouth shut.not because its illegal but because you dont know whos listening.

I think this is a little bit paranoid.

The Walmart in Seabrook has always asked me for a Ma LTC. Never had anyone in Me ask the same question. BTW You can buy new handguns as long as they are on the list,bought a Para there sometime back. Did the paperwork at 4Seasons.

While you can buy the handgun from an NH dealer or ME dealer, the actual transfer must take place through an MA FFL. Thus, you're not really buying it directly from them.

I once went to buy some 16ga slugs at the KTP. I realized I was out of state, and asked if they accepted either my MA LTC or my NH LTC, I was told by the very nice lady, "I'm sorry honey, we can't accept those, I'll need cash or a credit card"

When I laughed and mentioned that I forgot I was in Free America, she replied that "the chair is against the wall"

It made my month, and I still smile about that encounter...

Outstanding.

I was asked for my "Firearms ID Card" this weekend at Walmart in NH looking for ammo.

In my experience, this is the rule more than the exception with MA bordering Walmarts. The guys in Seabrook know me by now and still have to ask out of procedure.

I've never had KTP ask, nor or any private shops.

We were asked by BATF&E to see the LTC. This is not to punish you,I don't even write your info on my invoices.

Jim- good to know that you're only doing this under coercion instead of it being some silly policy. Or I should say, it's "less bad" than what most would think. On paper though, BATFE should have absolutely no right to make up regulations that don't actually apply to you. I'm sure you've had bigger fish to fry with them than this, though, so fighting it might be an a zero sum game.

There are less than honest gang banging pricks from Mass that come here and traffic ammunition to the other slugs there. I think it's good at we do this,as your AG might make it illegal for you if the problem ever makes it to the front pages.
FWIW - Jim

What could our AG do about it? They can't make laws that are binding on people (doing some activity) who are physically located in another jurisdiction. I can think of things they can try to do, all of which, of course, would be completely unenforceable. The situation as it is now is about as worse as it could possibly get for MA residents.

-Mike

As a youth, I spent my summers in New Hampshire, we use to walk 3 miles to the center of town, One store, It was a general Store/ gas Station/ Post Office, ya kinda like green acres.. Population 330 more or less. we bought gas for the boat, and bullets for our 22's and never was asked for any kind of id, good thing cause we didn't have any, we were only 14 at the time. we hitch hiked back cause the gas was heavy.

It's been over a year now, but I'd always stop by KTP when delivering in Maine (most gun shops don't have adequate semi-truck parking). Never had any problems buying ammo and components; can't say if I ever used anything other than cash though...Ayuh!

Riley's on Rt28/US3 in Hooksett, NH was easy to get into as well. They had pretty decent ammo selection, but most of my buying was odds and ends off the discount shelf. http://www.rileysguns.com/

Does this only apply to only NH or ME? I live in MA but am frequently in CT, RI, and NY and sometimes see ammo in quantities, price points or certain types (Hornady critical defense, Corbon PowRball, etc.) that I can't find, or can't find as cheap in state. Can I stock up while in CT for instance, if I see a price or specific item that I can't find in my home state?

No reason that you can't buy in most any state in Free America. Just don't tell them that you are from MA and you will be treated like a "customer" and not harrassed.

Probably 20 years ago, I stopped in a boat/gun shop in Stonington, CT. I made the mistake of telling the clerk that I was from MA and his response was "I can't sell you anything" and he walked away from the counter. I left.

I have since bought ammo numerous times in RI and NH with no issues (NH hassles you at WM near the border but that is a corporate issue, not law).

Last edited:
I know Walmart in Seabrook wants to see your drivers license to see your a NH resident. If your a mass resident they won't sell you ammo with out a LTC or maybe a FID.
What stinks is places like Dicks in mass wouldn't sell me ammo because I am a NH resident even though have a Mass LTC.

MFL

What can the AG do about selling to MA residents?? They went after a tire place in Nashua to try to get "owed sales tax" because they sold TIRES to MA residents. I certainly can't blame a business owner for being careful. The only way to stop that is vote them out of office. MA must want it to be illegal to drive a car too.

I know Walmart in Seabrook wants to see your drivers license to see your a NH resident. If your a mass resident they won't sell you ammo with out a LTC or maybe a FID.
What stinks is places like Dicks in mass wouldn't sell me ammo because I am a NH resident even though have a Mass LTC.

WM @ seabrook allows handgun ammo sold to a FID holder?

Back
Top Bottom