• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC COURSE REQUIREMENTS

Hi everyone,

Recently became certified with NRA and as a MA BFS instructor. Just wanted to ask what more experienced instructors are covering in their classes to meet the state requirements.

Thanks

At the club I help out at it's just the standard NRA course, plus we bring in a firearms attorney to talk about MA law on the last night of the class. If you want to avoid the expense of a lawyer it's perfectly legal to just hand out a pamphlet on MA laws. (GOAL used to have one, not sure if they still do or if it's been updated.)

You probably want to review this:
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/gun-laws/515-cmr-300-firearms.html

Thank i appreciate the info.

I have been a long time MA LTC holder and plenty of experience with firearms, just want to make sure I'm doing right by the students and the law.

Another question I have which may not apply to some seeing as many of you are working with a training team for a gun club.
As an independent instructor, what locations can I take a student to provide hands on training? Most clubs and ranges won’t allow instructors to teach outside clients on their ranges.

Another question I have which may not apply to some seeing as many of you are working with a training team for a gun club.
As an independent instructor, what locations can I take a student to provide hands on training? Most clubs and ranges won’t allow instructors to teach outside clients on their ranges.

That's a tough one. Once I became in instructor I approached a few clubs and was told "no instructors allowed". Many others have been reported similarly by others.

I belong to two clubs that allow instructors, but one is much too busy and is not conducive to teaching.

Good luck.

That's a tough one. Once I became in instructor I approached a few clubs and was told "no instructors allowed". Many others have been reported similarly by others.

I belong to two clubs that allow instructors, but one is much too busy and is not conducive to teaching.

Good luck.
Exactly. I was a member of my club for a year before I asked to teach. I presented all of my lesson plans to the e-board, and had to carry insurance. Location has been my biggest headache... but WPRC has been amazing to work with.

Im in the process of doing that now and im getting the same responses..."No outside instructors".

The majority of the Clubs in the area are not "businesses", in that turning a profit is not their reason for existence.

The problem with allowing Joe Instructor (especially if not a member!) in to run a class, or teach a live-fire segment, is that it sets a precedent....now Jim, Jane and Jack Instructor want to do it, too, and then the membership gets cranky when the range is closed for a class, when they want to shoot.

I have been asked, MANY times, "Can I get private Trap lessons?" I say that if you're a member, I'll set you up to the best of my ability, and availability, but it's not a deal for money; it's a Club thing. I have run "Learn to Shoot Trap" nights, but the huge profits [laugh] went to the club, not me.

Were I to come in and see a member teaching a family ember friend, or random Non, I'd be happy. Were I to see a person, member or not using MY facilities for their profit, I'd be cranky. If that person were a long-time member that had paid their dues ( not the annual ones), I'd have less of a problem. But were it to be a new member, with no street cred..not a chance.

Last edited:

My local club (Hopkinton Sportsmens Assn) gives that answer to people wanting to run a business out of the clubhouse.

When a member approaches the club and says "I want to run a classes for the benefit of the club, as a volunteer, with all proceeds going to the club" the answer is different.

The club is a non-profit, and the overhead is paid for the benefits of members as individuals, not to cover the overhead of businesses looking for a cheap venue for classes.

Back
Top Bottom