• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC how do I carry in NY?

mitch28

NES Member
Might have a temp position in NY, what do I need to do to be able to carry in NY (not the city)?

Mitch

Might have a temp position in NY, what do I need to do to be able to carry in NY (not the city)?

Mitch

You don't, unless you're running under LEOSA, you fudge a residency in NY State and get a permit there, you exploit lots of high level political connections to get a permit, or you carry illegally. Pick one.

-Mike

I know stupid question, figured this would be it!! Dam it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the prompt replies though!

I have a deed to a timeshare in Manhattan. How do you think applying for a NYS-non-res license will work out for me? [thinking]

Look into being a dual resident (ny & ma) then get a resident permit in ny. I have no idea what they require for classes or how long the process is, etc. It may be expensive and take far too much time for it to work for you. Depends how long your temp position is and how much you want to spend. Upside is you'll have some additional handgun options than mass.

Upstate ny looks at guns far differently. The further from nyc, the better.

Outside of NYC it's not a problem. Inside NYC, it takes approx. $20k in donations to the local councilman. Yes, there is a fixed and known price.

I never knew exactly what it was, but I always knew the system there was rigged and the skids could be greased.

-Mike

The simple fact that it took the guy 36 minutes in 3 video clips just to explain the situation and experience,
tells you how ****ed up the process is...

Link to application... all 17 pages worth... http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf

Outside of NYC it's not a problem. Inside NYC, it takes approx. $20k in donations to the local councilman. Yes, there is a fixed and known price.

Probably went up to $25k since the two cops were shot and the work slow down.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience (albeit out of date, my permit is 15 years old) is that NR permits are pretty much unicorns, they pretty much are nonexistent. I have property there and my permit is registered to that property and my residency was NY at the time. I no longer have residency in NY, but I still have a valid permit.

Then, it ran about 125 bucks and took 4-6 months on avg. I have "friends" that expedited the process for me a little and got that down to about 6 weeks, which was unheard of at the time.

LEOSA does not apply in NY, nor does FOPA. You will be arrested, cop or not (depending on the arresting officer of course) There are a few cases that were brought, don't quite remember the outcomes offhand.

My experience (albeit out of date, my permit is 15 years old) is that NR permits are pretty much unicorns, they pretty much are nonexistent. I have property there and my permit is registered to that property and my residency was NY at the time. I no longer have residency in NY, but I still have a valid permit. Then, it ran about 125 bucks and took 4-6 months on avg. I have "friends" that expedited the process for me a little and got that down to about 6 weeks, which was unheard of at the time. LEOSA does not apply in NY, nor does FOPA. You will be arrested, cop or not (depending on the arresting officer of course) There are a few cases that were brought, don't quite remember the outcomes offhand.

Can't comment on LEISA but FOPA can only be used as an affirmative defense. If you drive thru NY. With a firearm. don't stop. Then they have some weird rule about ammunition even if it is locked separate from the locked and separate firearm, if it is in general proximity to the firearm. Totally weird.

Mitch

1. NY residence, apply for a NY carry permit
2. Get a LE job
3. Find a judge who will issue to out of staters (if you find one, the first thing to do is PM me). The only judge I knew of who did this was shut down by the county law dept, plus he as retired.
4. Get a diplomatic passport from a country to which the US grants diplomatic immunity
5. Take your chances at arrest and aggressive prosecution.

Back
Top Bottom