• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC Renewal question...

In process of doing the renewal application and the question is , Do I really have to resubmit my safety course, hunters course cert.'s and refrences .... etc. ?? I would think just the App. and affidavit would suffice,
Seems pretty irrelevant but I don't want problems. I called town firearms license board but 3 working days and no reply yet.
Sorry if this common knowledge but I tried search and couldn't find anything definitive.
Thanks in advance for anything helpful.

All I needed was to update my photo which was done at the station and then the state lost my finger prints so i needed those redone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you submit it and it's not needed what is the downside?

I always resubmit references as asked for on the application unless told otherwise.

Every town is different.

Go to the town's website, and see if the local requirements are posted. If not, go to the PD, and ask.

My town does not require a copy of the cert. for renewals, but they do need "proof of residence" (e.g. a utility bill), even though I have an active LTC, driver's license, etc. [rolleyes]

Oh, they also required a photo ID to pick up the new LTC last time (even though they were giving me a photo ID [laugh])

Bring your documents to the interview and have them available if you are asked for them. I just renewed in a new town and I brought all my documents with me, none were needed, however if they were I would have had to interrupt my interview and go get them. I am sure this would be looked on as wasting the LEO's time and may delay the renewal. Be prepared make the renewal as smooth and easy as possible for you and them.

No need for repeat of that stuff. Now if the 1st time in a new town on renewal, some have asked for certs so that they have them on file. If they want more data, they will tell you, otherwise don't overthink it.

My town does not require a copy of the cert. for renewals, but they do need "proof of residence" (e.g. a utility bill), even though I have an active LTC, driver's license, etc. [rolleyes]

My driver's license and LTC are both from different cities, neither of which I currently live in.

Thanks folks.. I will have all them on hand when interview is conducted. Appreciate all views and experience expressed here that help avoid "hic-cups" in the process.
Thanks again....
D.

My driver's license and LTC are both from different cities, neither of which I currently live in.

My point was that my LTC, FID and Bartender's license are all issued by my town. My State-issued DL has the same address. But they need a paper bill from Nstar or RCN to believe it.

When my kid applied for an FID, he had to provide a utility bill....but it was mine...only the surname was the same. [laugh]

References is part of the state form

Letters of reference is over and above the State requirements.
Any references are above and beyond State requirements. Last time I checked even the State form said they were optional.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Curious...how far ahead of your LTC expiration are you allowed to apply for renewal?

There is no statutory limit, on how far out you can apply. Some towns set their own, others, not. In my town, last time, I put the app in, mid-January. Expiration at the end of March. Got it second week in April.

YMMV

My wife's renewal was under 30 days IIRC back in Jan/Feb. State sent the letter and she started the process. Brought it to the station and was told to come back later as she was too early for them.

Renewed on 05/02/2017 licenses came in on 07/14/17 74days just slightly over two month, about 10 week, and I live in a good town. It may have taken less time however I renewed two licenses, my LTC and my Machine Gun Lic.. This may have taken longer at state level. I don't know. Think in terms of three months prior to expiration. That may be enough buffer unless you live in a lousy town.

I don't want to spoil this thread, but I got a renewal letter on Saturday for my Florida license. Went to a tax collectors office just north of where I live, 20 minute ride and walked in, she took my picture, paid her for the license, $45 and she handed me my new license and I left the building. Effective date was Monday and won't expire until January 2025. Less than 10 minutes in and out, quite the difference from when I lived in Mass. The police department would deliver it your house to make sure it was you.

Back
Top Bottom