MA non-res LTC questions

Hi All,
I am a New Hampshire resident with a Massachusetts Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License to Carry Firearms, restrictions: none. My license was issued in March of 2021.

When I decided to pursue securing the license I immersed myself in the regulations and quickly found them to be a convoluted mess. I assumed that with continued research and time I would come to have a clearer understanding things. This is proving not to be the case - there is so much conflicting information out there that I have started to question elements of the regulations I thought I understood.

I have found some outstanding threads on this site. unfortunately many of them are now ten plus years old (the most informative one was started in 2008 if I remember correctly). I am hoping the membership can assist in validating a some of my understandings.

Listed below are statements from the standpoint of my understanding of the laws that apply to me as a non-resident LTC. I've tried to present them in a manner where they can be addresses as "YES / NO" - "Correct / incorrect".

Any input the membership maybe able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

"YES / NO" - "Correct / incorrect":

1.)
I am unable to purchase ammunition in MA - my non-resident license has been issued under a different reg. from the one issued to MA residents that allows them to purchase ammunition.

2.) MA EOPS compliant roster - irrelevant to me from a pistol carry perspective. I need to be aware of two things:
A) magazines greater than 10 rounds are illegal - period (unless pre-ban).
B) Anything I carry cannot be otherwise prohibited under the assault weapons guidelines (cant have any two of the qualifying semi-auto pistol attributes listed: threaded barrel, second handgrip, barrel shroud, able to accept magazine out side grip).

3.) My license (Massachusetts Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License to Carry Firearms, restrictions: none) allows me to carry in MA as I go about my normal business to any location except where posted or otherwise prohibited by law (courthouses, schools, Logan airport, etc.).

Additional clarification:

Specific to point 2
- I have a non-EOPS compliant roster Sig P365 that was purchased in NH. It is my understanding that as long as I have fixed capacity 10 round magazines I can legally carry this pistol in MA because:
a) EOPS applies for dealer restrictions not carry
b) My license covers the pistol but not the magazine (high capacity license, and in this case P365 meets that description because it can accepted magazine greater than 10 rounds)
c) I must have my fixed capacity 10 round magazines only - because the P365 is post ban and therefore greater than 10 round mag is illegal

Specific to point 3 - I have seen posts and have been told that MA non-resident licenses are only issued for travel to competitions. Is this correct? It seems contrary to having to have provided the justification required to meet the "unrestricted" class threshold.

Question about renewal:
Do I need to submit a new justification statement to support continued renewal of unrestricted class or do just reference the initial application? The same form for application is used for renewal and I do not see where it says those questions do not have to be answered. What are people doing here - do they just reference their initial application and statement? Enclose copies of original? Complete as new?

Last edited:
One finer point of clarification:

My license (Massachusetts Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License to Carry Firearms, restrictions: none) allows me to carry in MA as I go about my normal business to any location except where posted or otherwise prohibited by law (courthouses, schools, Logan airport, etc.).

MA does not have binding signage. Posting a no-guns sign does NOT make carry at that location a crime, though signs may be posted at locations where carry is a crime. You can ignore no-gun signs in places like shopping malls, but cannot legally ignore an order to leave if someone with lawful dominion over the premises orders you out.

I have seen posts and have been told that MA non-resident licenses are only issued for travel to competitions. Is this correct?
No.

Ooops, did not complete a previous post - must have been distracted.

In the event you are involved in a dynamic incident involving a gun in a location where there is a "no guns" sign expect the media to make a big deal about the fact that you were armed in a "no guns" zone, and not bother to following up with "but it was perfectly legal for him to carry as the prohibition has no legal weight".

Even the prosecution is likely to mention this, leaving it to your attorney to counter argue that your carry in that location was perfectly legal, while trying to convince the court that the allegation you were in a "no guns zone" has no legal merit. People in charge of your fate could very well think "It was a prohibited location, the sign said so, he obviously knew what he was doing was wrong.".

Thanks Rob!

I try to generally avoid any locations with such signage anyway just from the standpoint of not providing patronage to these establishments. I should have been clearer on this point - its more of a follow up to trying to validate / invalidate statements I have read about general limitation on non-resident licenses being for targeted purposes only (like travel to competitions).

Do you see any inaccuracies with my understanding in the other areas in the yes / no section?

Its super frustrating having invested the time into securing the license and trying to understand these regulations only to have doubt start creeping in because of the complexity of the regulations and difficulty in trying to gain a proper understanding.

I don't see any inaccuracies - issuance to foreigners not residing in the US may be limited to competitions.

The restrictions that apply are those listed on your license, and there is precedence you can visit a medical clinic under an assumed name and not have your non-resident LTC revoked because the staff get bent out of shape when they see your gun. See http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/466/466mass168.html

I have seen posts and have been told that MA non-resident licenses are only issued for travel to competitions. Is this correct?
No.
Do you see any inaccuracies with my understanding in the other areas in the yes / no section?
To underscore:

When Rob answered your "Specific to point 3" question
about non-res/always-restricted-to-competitions
with "No",
he meant "No".

"Restrictions: none" does indeed mean that
no carry/use restrictions have been imposed upon you
beyond whatever is explicitly in the law that applies to everyone
(or at least all non-police civilians).

((As you figured out), just don't bother trying to buy ammo.
That's not a "restriction" on non-residents -
it's an unconstitional absence of state permission (in restraint of interstate commerce)
to exercise a civil right.
Totally different thing).

The restrictions that apply are those listed on your license, and there is precedence you can visit a medical clinic under an assumed name and not have your non-resident LTC revoked because the staff get bent out of shape when if they see your gun. [Case law citation snipped/AHM].
FTFY.
Concealed means concealed.

Difficult when disrobing for a medical procedure or exam.
Maybe your physique of Adonis means they stick around and watch you undress,
but I'm left alone to disrobe and place my street clothing someplace, anyplace, out of the way.
(You won't believe what Eye Bleach goes for these days).

Unless you're packing like Rose McGowan,
the failure modes are either the nurse-practitioner becomes suspicious
of how heavy your duds are when she shoves them aside to sit on the window radiator,
or your clothes make a really loud thunk by falling off the coathook
when they re-enter and slam the examining room door shut for the procedure.
(Hopefully not an Examining Room Pop ND).

Even MRI's let you lock all your stuff in a, well, locker for the duration.
People that can't take their wallet (full of mag stripe cards) into the machine room
don't like leaving them out where someone can rifle through them.

I don't have a glib solution for outpatient procedures under anesthesia.
Even though they must have a way to secure the patient's effects,
going in you can't assume it's not "throw your stuff in this tub,
and the nurse will lock it up for you".
Heavy tub => strange looks.

For the OP: I'm trying to figure out when to run my next Mass Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers Seminar, which will be at Londonderry F&G Club. I have some important commitments, so I'm trying to see when I can fit that seminar into my schedule (as well as the club's calendar). It'll be posted in the Training forum as well as my website: 2A Training

Back
Top Bottom