MA Police Officer Test 2011

Hi guys, new applicant here.

Before I go in and take the next exam, I have a quick question: do they specify what their idea of a Veteran is? Is it 180 days of active service, 1 day of active service, or ANY length of time in ANY military branch? I read all 19 pages of this thread and couldn't find out.

You guys have given me a lot of advice without even knowing it, so thank you. I hadn't known that it was so difficult in just choosing an area. I live in Medway, so I thought if I just went and took the test, I'd be able to just get hired - - boy was I wrong!

Hi guys, new applicant here.

Before I go in and take the next exam, I have a quick question: do they specify what their idea of a Veteran is? Is it 180 days of active service, 1 day of active service, or ANY length of time in ANY military branch? I read all 19 pages of this thread and couldn't find out.

You guys have given me a lot of advice without even knowing it, so thank you. I hadn't known that it was so difficult in just choosing an area. I live in Medway, so I thought if I just went and took the test, I'd be able to just get hired - - boy was I wrong!

Next test won't be for 2 years, so plenty of time to find out. I don't know your answer, but I'd look here:
http://www.mass.gov/anf/employment-equal-access-disability/oversight-agencies/hrd/
And yes, getting hired is quite difficult in this state/area.

Does anyone know where I can find some good information on what is expected of a police officer/what a new police officer should expect/how to increase your chances of passing the tests/any learning aids and study guides for the tests? I remember seeing a book written by Officer Forestal called "Pass the Police Exam", and am thinking about purchasing it. I also read about 20 pages of "101 Reasons Not To Become A Police Officer", and I plan on reading the rest.

For those of you who don't know about the book, it literally gives 101 reasons not to become a police officer, giving scenarios officers go through during their career (Heavy Badge Syndrome, shorter life expectancy, increased chance of divorce from spouse/children, etc.). Instead of taking all of this in as negative reinforcement towards my decision, I thought I'd consider each and every one of the reasons and figure out a way to avoid/overcome them.

I just want to gather as much information as I can about everything I need to know so that I can become the best law enforcement figure I can from day 1. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

If you're on the list of a large city as a non-resident, you're wasting one of your eligible list slots, IMO.

Again, in this job climate, pick your residency municipality, the MBTA, and two smaller, affluent towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scored a 95.

Tied for 7th in Leominster, 20th in Lancaster, 54th in Gardner, and 275th in Lowell. If they let me update my Veteran status to Disabled Vet...I should be #1 or #2 in Leominster. This is my 2nd time with this exam. I declined my card twice because I stuck with my job that pays me well but I'm starting to be disgruntled with it...

That's quite a nice position to be in.

Scored a 99.

91st place in Boston with my Vetern's status and residency.

I also chose the MBTA and Stoneham on the initial application, but I only see my standing in Boston. Do towns release that info at different times and I just have to wait?

If you're on the list of a large city as a non-resident, you're wasting one of your eligible list slots, IMO.

Again, in this job climate, pick your residency municipality, the MBTA, and two smaller, affluent towns.

This. If you are a white male, you are unlikely to hear from any of your city/town "choices" unless it is some podunk town with an occasional opening and no residents on the list. Women and minorities tend to fair better in the "choices" category. When I went through the process 30 years ago, I never heard from any of my three choices. Not a peep. I was #1 on the hometown list though. Unfortunately for me, I had to wait quite awhile while they did some minority hiring first, but I eventually made it.

Does it say None Selected ? Or does it have the towns but no rank and score?

Neither, in the "Entry Level Police Officer & Fire Fighter Detail/Standings Information" section it has one row for Boston with my status, score, rank, and total ties within rank. No blank rows or other rows with just town names and no data. I'll shoot them an email to see if it's an error.

Received my 3rd card 4 days ago. Still debating what to do. I will take a pay cut if I decide to leave my current job. The decision would be alot easier if I was 21 again and didn't have a family or house...

Anyone from Chelsea take the test? I scored 100 and currently ranked 25. No mil or emt credit tho so I got screwed again.

This. If you are a white male, you are unlikely to hear from any of your city/town "choices" unless it is some podunk town with an occasional opening and no residents on the list. Women and minorities tend to fair better in the "choices" category. When I went through the process 30 years ago, I never heard from any of my three choices. Not a peep. I was #1 on the hometown list though. Unfortunately for me, I had to wait quite awhile while they did some minority hiring first, but I eventually made it.

It really has nothing to do with race--with the exception of some consent decree cities, racial hires, either intentional or unintentional (such as pulling a language certification), are largely a thing of the past.

My point has everything to do with children who were raised in small, affluent towns who go to college at high rates and are thus less likely to go into the military and want to become cops--and are less likely to take the test and/or receive vet preference. I know that may border on sounding unsensitive, but it's true.

Just got my score in the mail (took it later due to deployment) and only got a 91. However Im #1 on the list for my town and they already hired #2 who's a non-resident vet about 2 weeks before i got added to the list. Tough luck I guess

Just got my score in the mail (took it later due to deployment) and only got a 91. However Im #1 on the list for my town and they already hired #2 who's a non-resident vet about 2 weeks before i got added to the list. Tough luck I guess

I'd keep mum on whatever town it is that you're on the list for. Sometimes you gotta play defense.

Back
Top Bottom