MA Resident purchasing ammo in CT

It would seem cabelas of Hartford is the only avenue these days for affordable, pre inflated ammo prices left.

for some reason the cabelas in ma are always out of stock.

anyways, I spoke with a cabelas employee who told me I need to apply for a ammo certificate via the ct state police, pay a 35 fee and get a background check but then I’d be allowed to purchase ammo in ct.

Is this accurate? I’d like to clarify before driving an hr to the police barracks just to be turned away. Thanks!

btw I am a LTC-a holder in ma

Bad news is that he's correct.

CT issues ammo permits, longarm permits and carry permits.

Ammo lets you buy ammo.
longarm lets you buy rifles, shotguns and ammo.
Carry permit lets you carry firearm on you, (open or concealed), purchase firearms and purchase ammo.

Good news is that since you've got to go through pretty much the same application process, other than an approved class, go for the non-resident carry permit.
CT will issue you a permit unless they've got good cause not to. There's no red town / green town bullshit.

It would seem cabelas of Hartford is the only avenue these days for affordable, pre inflated ammo prices left.

anyways, I spoke with a cabelas employee who told me I need to apply for a ammo certificate via the ct state police, pay a 35 fee and get a background check but then I’d be allowed to purchase ammo in ct.

Is this accurate? I’d like to clarify before driving an hr to the police barracks just to be turned away. Thanks!

Get ct carry lic instead, ammo cert is a waste of time

Get ct carry lic instead, ammo cert is a waste of time

I'm not sure what the current practice is, but ammunition certificates used to be issued on the spot at DESPP HQ in Middletown. Depending on what his intentions are, it might be worthwhile to get one. (I would recommend getting a permit to carry, possibly as well, if he wants to be able to carry or transport pistols/revolvers in CT).

Bad news is that he's correct.

CT issues ammo permits, longarm permits and carry permits.

Ammo lets you buy ammo.
longarm lets you buy rifles, shotguns and ammo.
Carry permit lets you carry firearm on you, (open or concealed), purchase firearms and purchase ammo.

Good news is that since you've got to go through pretty much the same application process, other than an approved class, go for the non-resident carry permit.
CT will issue you a permit unless they've got good cause not to. There's no red town / green town bullshit.

Ammunition certificates, eligibility certificates, and permits to carry also allow the purchase of lawful magazines.

That is the rule. We need Ned's permission to buy ammo, long guns and handguns.
CT permit holders are good on all three counts. A long gun certificate allows you to buy a long gun and ammo. An ammo certificate allows you to buy ammo only. Don't tell anybody, but CT gun owners with none of these can simply go to RI and buy ammo, if of legal age.
I don't think individuals in CT would be too concerned about selling ammo to MA shooters, especially if you are legal to purchase in MA, but that's hardly a convenient solution. I won't be driving to East Hartford, but if you buy ammo in SE CT, I can help you out. Shhhh!
You may want to hit Heritage, D&L or Midstate in RI (even Walmart for PC calibers).

That is the rule. We need Ned's permission to buy ammo, long guns and handguns.
CT permit holders are good on all three counts. A long gun certificate allows you to buy a long gun and ammo. An ammo certificate allows you to buy ammo only. Don't tell anybody, but CT gun owners with none of these can simply go to RI and buy ammo, if of legal age.
I don't think individuals in CT would be too concerned about selling ammo to MA shooters, especially if you are legal to purchase in MA, but that's hardly a convenient solution. I won't be driving to East Hartford, but if you buy ammo in SE CT, I can help you out. Shhhh!
You may want to hit Heritage, D&L or Midstate in RI (even Walmart for PC calibers).
So...it's basically like a MA FID. Low-capacity rifles/shotguns/magazines. I buy my ammo in NH and sometimes bring some back from Alabama and Louisiana when my wife and I vacation there to visit family.

This is true, the permit will also allow you to buy Magazines. The CT State Police issues the permit at their HQ in Middletown off exit-20 on I-91.

Yup. Judging by your post, you left at the right time.

I've been in Georgia about five years now. I have a CT non-resident permit, so some of this BS doesn't directly impact me.

I've got 3 "declared" AR's in CT, and x number of "declared 'high capacity'" magazines there.
When I pack my truck to come up there, I have to double check to make sure that the guns/magazines I'm bringing up are CT legal.

The longer I live down here, the more I hate the heat and love the gun laws.

The longer I live down here, the more I hate the heat and love the gun laws.

Good for you. The plan to exit should be at the forefront of everyone's mind for economic and freedom-minded reasons. While this is not directed at you specifically, stay alert and stay active, and don't get complacent. The possible future Gov-Elect Abrams has a different view than you do. Replace her with any like-minded prog/comm Gov in a different State and we're all back at square one. Stay safe down there.

Good for you. The plan to exit should be at the forefront of everyone's mind for economic and freedom-minded reasons. While this is not directed at you specifically, stay alert and stay active, and don't get complacent. The possible future Gov-Elect Abrams has a different view than you do. Replace her with any like-minded prog/comm Gov in a different State and we're all back at square one. Stay safe down there.

Its interesting, since Covid hit, CT real estate has spiked. Prior to Covid R/E in CT has languished since the 2008 recession. (excluding Fairfield county)

With higher prices, more people who were previously upside down on their mortgage will be able to sell and leave.

Remember the spike in demand is due to New Yorkers fleeing NYC for the relative safety and freedom of CT. It has no grounding in the economic fundamentals of CT, which still suck. No job growth, no wage growth, etc.

When I moved to the Boston area from SE CT 8 years ago I purchased a small cottage in a shoreline town in SE CT to keep a connection to friends and relatives in the area, as well as have a place to sleep when duck hunting the CT river. The home is very small and modest (less than 1000 sq ft) , so I didn't care that its value didn't go up at all in 8 years. (during which time my Boston metro west home's value has doubled)

Things have change considerably in the last 3 months. I got an unsolicited offer from an agent to list my home for 50% more than it was worth 6 months ago.

The only thing it has going for it is tht its 300 ft from Long Island Sound.

So anyway, this places more CT residents in a position where they can sell their homes and actually have some cash in hand to put towards the down payment on a home in another state.

FYI, Just left Cabela's in Hartford. Wiped out of basically everything. I've never seen anything like it. No Pistol ammo at all. No Slugs. Just a variety of birdshot and some very expensive 30-06.

Its interesting, since Covid hit, CT real estate has spiked. Prior to Covid R/E in CT has languished since the 2008 recession. (excluding Fairfield county)

With higher prices, more people who were previously upside down on their mortgage will be able to sell and leave.

Remember the spike in demand is due to New Yorkers fleeing NYC for the relative safety and freedom of CT. It has no grounding in the economic fundamentals of CT, which still suck. No job growth, no wage growth, etc.

When I moved to the Boston area from SE CT 8 years ago I purchased a small cottage in a shoreline town in SE CT to keep a connection to friends and relatives in the area, as well as have a place to sleep when duck hunting the CT river. The home is very small and modest (less than 1000 sq ft) , so I didn't care that its value didn't go up at all in 8 years. (during which time my Boston metro west home's value has doubled)

Things have change considerably in the last 3 months. I got an unsolicited offer from an agent to list my home for 50% more than it was worth 6 months ago.

The only thing it has going for it is tht its 300 ft from Long Island Sound.

So anyway, this places more CT residents in a position where they can sell their homes and actually have some cash in hand to put towards the down payment on a home in another state.

East Lyme?

FYI, Just left Cabela's in Hartford. Wiped out of basically everything. I've never seen anything like it. No Pistol ammo at all. No Slugs. Just a variety of birdshot and some very expensive 30-06.

No better down here in Georgia. Shot a major match last week and people were struggling to find ammo, or components. North Florida Ammo was there, with a tent and competing. I know the owners and a couple of their staff from previous competitions. Shot with Gary and a couple of his employees on Friday - they're having trouble getting components.

Went into Wally World Saturday to get some shotgun shells for skeet. They'd stripped their counter of all ammo, guns and knives. The only ammo they were showing was shotgun, and that was pretty limited. I managed to pick up some 12GA and some 20GA, but the pickings were slim. No buckshot or slugs at all.

Thanks!!
After reading thru the novel that is conn gun law, I couldn’t find anything that said I couldn’t do it, so thank you for the confirmation.

Not really. Ron's Guns in East Lyme may have some, but he was very high even before the shortages. Heritage and D&L in West Warwick and Warwick might be worth a call, if you're coming down I-295 or I-95.

Believe it or not, the Old Saybrook Walmart used to carry limited powders, primers, shot, wads and hulls a few years back, but that's ancient history.

Last edited:
Not really. Ron's Guns in East Lyme may have some, but he was very high even before the shortages. Heritage and D&L in West Warwick and Warwick might be worth a call, if you're coming down I-295 or I-95.

Believe it or not, the Old Saybrook Walmart used to carry limited powders, primers, shot, wads and hulls a few years back, but that's ancient history.
I cleaned out Walmart in Old Saybrook when they decided to get out of selling primers. I think I paid $26/thousand.

I know permit is required to buy "ammo" in CT, but what about reloading components (powder, projectiles, primers)? East Hartford Cabela's isn't a far drive...

I know permit is required to buy "ammo" in CT, but what about reloading components (powder, projectiles, primers)? East Hartford Cabela's isn't a far drive...
Hmmm. I know when I bought powder and primers at Hoffman’s in Newington I didn’t have to show my CT ammo/non resident license. Can’t remember about Cabelas.

Back
Top Bottom