MA Shotgun Laws?

MaverickNH

NES Member
I'm a NH resident without a MA Non-Res LTC and am considering a Defensive Shotgun class in MA in February. Any limitations on bringing my Rem 870 pump 12g down to the Cape for a 1-day scheduled course and back - in a continuous uninterrupted trip to and from the venue?

It has an extended tube for 5rd capacity and a side-saddle but no pistol grip (and no flash hider, bayo lug, barrel shroud, grenade launcher, etc.)

Any issues to know about wrt to legality?

It is legal to bring NON-large capacity long guns into MA for any legal reason. The relevant exemption here is MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p)

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

And Glidden's Notes on the above (emphasis is mine):

Non Resident Rifle, Shotgun and Ammunition Exemptions: Hunters during the hunting season with valid non resident hunting license (f); while on a the firing line at a shooting range (g); traveling in or through the state provided the rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case (h); at a collectors show or display (i); carrying or possession black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition (p); and carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside. A non resident is exempt if he falls into any of these categories. Therefore, a non resident who meets the requirements in the state in which he resides is not limited to using his shotgun on the shooting range or for hunting, but for all lawful purposes.

S 131G is not relevant and is a bogus so-called exemption according to FRB and law enforcement (and this is what they are being taught in the police academy and Glidden's seminars) because of the way it is written (English grammar issue unless it was intentional). GOAL disagrees with this (I've spoken with Jon Green about this), but that won't help anyone arrested for possession of large-capacity long guns/handguns in MA!

Thanks y’all. I figured my Saiga 12 with folding pistol grip stock and 10rd magazine would have to stay in NH 🙁

Back
Top Bottom