• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA State Police arrest man with gun...

Buck F

NES Member
The Enterprise, Brockton, MA

"Troopers, based on their training and experience, observed him making motions consistent with the concealment of a firearm," Procopio said.

Police say they performed a "protective frisk" of Jorge and found a folding tactical-style pocket knife in his right front pants pocket.

"A frisk of Jorge's backpack revealed an object consistent in size and shape with a firearm," Procopio said. "By looking into the backpack, troopers observed the butt of a handgun."

In other words, profiling works.

Yeah. Hope this gets kicked with prejudice. Talk about a BS stop.

"Oh we had shots a billion blocks away with a semi-auto. He was seen acting like he was holding a gun. Turns out he had a knife in his pocket AND A REVOLVER IN HIS BACKPACK."

Clearly grossly unrelated.

As much as I hate dirtbags, I dislike the ability for police to just roll up b'cuz. What if the guy had a valid CCW??? Oh yeah, no one gets those in Mass as far as the gen-pop is concerned.

Since when is carrying a gun reason enough to search someone? What other evidence of illegal activity was there?

That said - profiling DOES work and the police have a difficult job. They have to profile without profiling. Basically, profile - but not racially, ethnically, sexually, etc... So I would be interested to know how exactly they "profiled" this person to identify there was criminality without actually profiling him based on any protected class.,

"Officers observed that Jorge had on his person TWO index fingers, of which only one would be necessary to pull the trigger of a firearm. Further search of Jorge's backpack confirmed that a firearm was present, consistent with Jorge's possession of index fingers typically utilized to activate a firearm. No officers were hurt during the process of the search and a public crisis was likely averted."

Police say they performed a "protective frisk" of Jorge and found a folding tactical-style pocket knife in his right front pants pocket.

Wow. I carry a Benchmade Tanto knife in my right front pants pocket all the time. I guess that's a "folding tactical-style pocket knife". So what? It's a pocket knife, it's in my pocket.

I'm thinking "fruit of the poisoned tree", but I'm most certainly not an attorney.

I'm thinking "fruit of the poisoned tree", but I'm most certainly not an attorney.

I'm not either, but read the background of Terry V. Ohio - if the reporting is accurate (probably isn't) - only the names of the people and places are different. Remarkably similar circumstances, so I don't see the courts throwing out a textbook Terry stop.

And what the hell is with the tape? Why do gangbangers always have tape on their grips?

Since when is carrying a gun reason enough to search someone? What other evidence of illegal activity was there?

That said - profiling DOES work and the police have a difficult job. They have to profile without profiling. Basically, profile - but not racially, ethnically, sexually, etc... So I would be interested to know how exactly they "profiled" this person to identify there was criminality without actually profiling him based on any protected class.,

Profiling definitely can work as it did here, just not so sure how you get around that pesky 4th Amendment. The “consistent with concealment of a firearm” is a pretty weak case, particularly since he wasn’t carrying one on his person. If they said “consistent with concealment of an illegal tactical knife” maybe they’d have a better case. Otherwise, he just looked shifty and they stopped and frisked him and got lucky.

I think a warrantless search of the backpack would be outside the scope of Terry v. Ohio. This search will likely be suppressed, and the charges dismissed.

I'm not either, but read the background of Terry V. Ohio - if the reporting is accurate (probably isn't) - only the names of the people and places are different. Remarkably similar circumstances, so I don't see the courts throwing out a textbook Terry stop.

And what the hell is with the tape? Why do gangbangers always have tape on their grips?
Remove the tape.....fingerprints gone......toss the gun.

"Possession of index fingers" Hell, I'm in possession of a pecker, so does that mean that I'm a rapist? Jack.

Hi Jack- LOL, that was a sarcastic joke on my part. Sadly, that's probably pretty close to the truth as far as the cops being justified to search.

And yes, some SJW's would say that makes you a rapist.

I think a warrantless search of the backpack would be outside the scope of Terry v. Ohio. This search will likely be suppressed, and the charges dismissed.
"Grab area" and "lunge area" are normally good to go. Decent article from FLETC: (I'm NOT a lawyer, so I like the way a lot of the articles and updates they put it breaks it down into plain English for people like me that don't have that background.)

https://www.fletc.gov/sites/default...by-subject/4th-amendment/terryfriskupdate.pdf

Virtually identical arrest in Worcester today. "As I slowly drove past the two, I observed him reach towards his waistband as if to adjust or "tap" an object....I once again observed him adjust or "tap" an object on the right side his waistband. He did this numerous times as I observed him walking down the Street". Where Brockton guy was held on $1000 bail, Worcester guy held without bail.

If the guy has any kind of decent lawyer, they got some explaining to do.
What class exactly do they teach movements consistent with a gun in a backpack ?
That and what exactly makes a folding knife tactical as opposed to a regular knife ?
Is it military grade stabby or something ?

So "we think he has a gun, even though we didn't actually see it" is now enough to stop a pedestrian randomly and search them?

Of course part that might be missing from the poorly written article is where the guy was approached by police and likely forfeited his
rights, etc, consented to search, and so on... but even then, one would think the threshold should be higher, but it's also possible because the article is poorly written, important
details are missing...

-Mike

If the guy has any kind of decent lawyer, they got some explaining to do.
What class exactly do they teach movements consistent with a gun in a backpack ?
That and what exactly makes a folding knife tactical as opposed to a regular knife ?
Is it military grade stabby or something ?

If you've ever been at the end of a fishing expedition by either a bored or crappy LEO, you soon come to realize the level of mental gymnastics that will be used on you would only be rivaled or exceeded by an appearance from Mary Lou Retton or Nadia Comaneci.... [rofl]

ETA: Maybe they should replace the indian on the MSP logo with a chariacture of the Gorton's fisherman. [laugh]

-Mike

Was this done on OT?

The Hilderbeast, Pocahontas, and Pelosi should be arrested for having faces that look like a butt!

If you've ever been at the end of a fishing expedition by either a bored or crappy LEO, you soon come to realize the level of mental gymnastics that will be used on you would only be rivaled or exceeded by an appearance from Mary Lou Retton or Nadia Comaneci.... [rofl]

ETA: Maybe they should replace the indian on the MSP logo with a chariacture of the Gorton's fisherman. [laugh]

-Mike
More than once over the years.

Answer A) Probably because they don't use holsters and and don't take care of them, and so the grips on the revolver break, thus needing tape.
Answer B) Have you never seen the Godfather? Albeit the wrong tape in this case.

Back
Top Bottom