• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Stolen Gun Laws

MaverickNH

NES Member
Friend of mine from MA had his S&W M&P22 rifle stolen from a locked safe in his NH summer home up by Winnipesaukee. He reported to NH police, who said there had been a rash of burglaries by kids looking for guns/drugs. Left his 12G O/U shotgun, just took the 22 and some ammo from a locked toolbox. They searched the house until they found the hidden key, which was moderately well hidden...

He's from a Green town with LTC A (no restrictions).

I see reference that he needs to report in MA but can find details - please advise while I keep searching.

FA-10 form.

IANAL, but if it was in NH and reported to NH PD, I don't see any need to notify his MA PD (doing so can only result in problems IMNSHO given these circumstances).

If he holds a C&R FFL, my interpretation is that he MUST call BATFE 800 # within x days and file a form with BATFE (even though gun isn't C&R). I've posted that info on NES before (somewhere under gun laws).

I believe the back of the FA 10 form spells it out. he has to fill out the fa10 and check off theft. I believe but since I don't have one handy to reference you have either 24 or 48 hours to notify CHSB. I'd call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, I would ONLY notify CHSB by FA-10 IFF the gun was purchased in MA (or an FA-10 was filed in MA). If the gun was bought in NH and kept there, there was no requirement to register it in MA and thus no requirement to notify if the theft happened in another state . . . of this I am certain.

He is a MA resident with a MA Resident LTC-A who purchased new in MA. No C&R. Presumably he had to fill an FA10 then (I'm a NH resident and not familiar with the program). Do buyers keep a copy of the FA10?

He is a MA resident with a MA Resident LTC-A who purchased new in MA. No C&R. Presumably he had to fill an FA10 then (I'm a NH resident and not familiar with the program). Do buyers keep a copy of the FA10?

Buyers SHOULD keep a copy of their FA-10.

In that case, he just files the FA-10 as stolen with CHSB and he's reported it to the appropriate NH PD. That's all.

He should keep a copy of the FA-10, but he doesn't need the original FA-10 it in order to fill report a theft. He should fill out a new FA-10 to report it stolen. Just have him download the FA-10 form from here: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/FA10.pdf

He should fill out the form, check off theft, and send it in.

Thanks all - I passed the information and form on.

Thinking of the Bloomberg-Menino "Crime Gun Trace" thread, this would count as a MA-originated gun involved in a NH crime. Shows how useless those stats are...

My friend said the cops said between one another, obviously loud for him to hear, that it was only a 22 and hardly worth their bother. Hey, maybe CCW without a permit or theft of small caliber firearms in NH will be decriminalized like a small stash of pot in MA ;)

Back
Top Bottom