MA: Turkey Season Safety Sticker Reminder PSA

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
The season is at the end of next month Don’t wait to the last minute to get your sticker.

Bob

If you're hunting turkey with a shotgun or muzzleloader, an official safety sticker must placed on the gun. The sticker must be visible when you are sighting down the barrel. For a new or replacement sticker, visit any MassWildlife office or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
MassWildlife
ATTN: Turkey safety sticker
1 Rabbit Hill Road
Westborough, MA 01581

Wild turkey hunting regulations

Good call.
MDFW was pretty responsive with a quick turnaround the last time I needed stickers, 1-2 weeks I had them in hand.

I'll hold my comments. There's nothing I can say that you all probably haven't thought of about this.

What on earth is a safety sticker and how does it work?
Same reason deer hunters have to wear orange. Some moronic hunters shoot people and dogs and horses and cows and everything else.
So the government treats us all like morons. And some dipshit government employee thinks a sticker will stop a moron from shooting something or someone that's not a turkey.
If idiot hunters didn't shoot at anything that moves we wouldn't need orange vests or green stickers.

Same reason deer hunters have to wear orange. Some moronic hunters shoot people and dogs and horses and cows and everything else.
So the government treats us all like morons. And some dipshit government employee thinks a sticker will stop a moron from shooting something or someone that's not a turkey.
If idiot hunters didn't shoot at anything that moves we wouldn't need orange vests or green stickers.
Long ago, I worked with a guy, that told me on his return from a hunting trip, that all he'd got was a "Sound Shot."

"A what?"

"A sound shot. I heard something and took a shot. But it was only a waterfall."

True. Story.

Oh, I think I kind of get it. Is it because Turkey hunters don't have to wear orange so some people felt that adding the sticker there would essentially do the same thing?

Oh, I think I kind of get it. Is it because Turkey hunters don't have to wear orange so some people felt that adding the sticker there would essentially do the same thing?
With turkey hunting, you try to be invisible and make turkey noises, while other people are wandering around, trying to shoot a turkey.

In Hunter Ed, we tell you not to wear red, white, blue, or black (turkey colors); to take your stand with a big tree or BFR behind your back and head; to speak to, not wave at, another hunter to let them know that you're there, and not a turkey.

Is the green sticker effective? I dunno. I don't hunt turkey, and a used shottie I picked up had one, but I did not need it for trapshooting, so I removed it.

Perhaps it helps; I do know that hunter orange DOES stand out in the woods. It may just be a "Look! We're doing something!" program.

At least the stickers are free. I should stop by the MW Headquarters on my way home, and pick some up for the Club.

Thank you for explaining that! I do understand it now. Whether or not I think its a good idea, I'm still not sure. I was hit by bird shot two years ago during pheasant season by a complete idiot and I'm lucky it didn't do more damage than it did. I was covered in orange and about 50 yards away. I don't think a green sticker would help a fool like that. I would like to see if this was studied over say a ten year time period to see if green sticker states had less accidents than non green sticker states. But that data may be difficult because there really aren't many accidents on record.

Precisely where you DON'T want them to be.
Which is why they are there!
One of the neighbors not too far feeds the stinkn things so they make their rounds in the neighborhood. As much time as I spent in the woods when I was younger and never saw one, now, everywhere!

No safety sticker requirement for taking with archery equipment.

I'm going to try my luck with the bow this spring. None of that crazy neck/head shot business though.

There aren't words sufficient to describe how much I hate that green sticker BS.

Go turkey hunting in MA with camo and a shotgun loaded with birdshot... better have a sticker.

Go coyote hunting in MA with camo and a 50BMG... no sticker needed.

Back
Top Bottom