• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mag mount question

Any thoughts on this mag mount?
Amazon.com: Tram 1185 Amateur Dual-Band Magnet Antenna: Electronics

TRAM-1185

• Transmits 2 Meter Vhf & 70cm UHF (144-148Mhz & 430-450Mhz).
  • 3" magnet mount with 12' RG-58 Coaxial Cable & PL-259 connector.
  • Antenna unscrews from maget with regular 3/8-24 thread.

I have zero equipment and want to get a mag mount for the car. Have the mag mount ($16) and a BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio ($48) in my cart - just waiting on the next pay cycle to place orders.

kb1nkw

Just Remember that you get what you pay for, If you use the mag mount on your auto, don't expect it to last more than 12-18 months here in New England.

You do get what you pay for. That antenna does have great reviews and you can't beat the price. It is a 1/4wave (no gain) antenna. I have a Hustler MX-270 I got at a hamfest that is a 5/8 wave (3dB gain) that works fabulously, but new it's $60. It's also about twice the length so it's less convenient to take on and off and store.

I guess if I were you I would get the $16 antenna. If you get real serious later you can always upgrade and keep the cheap one as a backup.

Seriously, I have the TRAM 1185 and on the 70 cm band I pick up the Boston Police 30 miles away. While most state that it's a 0 db gain antenna, it's a 2.5 db gain antenna on UHF and 0 db on VHF. For the price it works. I run one on my Jeep. Are there better antenna, yep.

Back
Top Bottom