Magazine online purchases

For MA residents.

I’m looking to buy some extra magazines for a handgun online.
are MA residents allowed to buy 15-17rd mags online and have them shipped to our homes? Or must it be shipped to an FFL to have them pinned from a 15-17rd to a 10rd?

Nobody that I know of will ship any magazine exceeding 10rd capacity to MA.

As far as I know, blocks and pinning, unless permanent/non-reversible are not allowed...but I could be wrong about that.

Any magazine with a capacity over 10rds needs to have manufactured prior to 10/94 I think.

Go green
And if you’ve taken a course with a licensed instructor, boy did they fail you.

The only magazines allowed are 10 rds for rifle and pistol caliber, unless preban dated before September 1994.

Pre ban mags don't need to be dated.....

While it can be read that I meant marked on the mag, I truly meant just the date of the OG fed ban vs “Healey Ban” or whatever future bullshite they decide to pass.

Last edited:
Well not literally pinned n welded but
Let’s say I have a sig, and it came with factory of 12rd mag cap straight out the box. But the dealer I bought it from capped it down to 10rds because of our lovely MA state restricts us. If I buy that same exact 12rd mag...can I bring it to a shop to have it plugged at 10?

Maybe I’m wording it incorrectly?

You can definitely find some sellers/vendors who will ship “hi cap” mags to MA but there ain’t a ton of them.
Postban “hi cap” mags are felonies in MA. So sure you might be able to find a seller willing to ship them to your door but just know the risks until they’re “permanently” fixed to 10 rounds.

Let’s say I have a sig, and it came with factory of 12rd mag cap straight out the box. But the dealer I bought it from capped it down to 10rds because of our lovely MA state restricts us. If I buy that same exact 12rd mag...can I bring it to a shop to have it plugged at 10?

If you possess that mag in MA and are not a member of one of the "more equal than others" classes you will be violating the law.

You can’t possess it in that in its normal capacity. So the act of attempting to have it shipping to you. Or driving to the shop to have it neutered would be illegal/risk

I guess that’s a question for the dealer/gunsmith. Nothing is stopping you (physically) from possessing them and transporting them to a shop/smith. But they are felonies if caught.

You can definitely find some sellers/vendors who will ship “hi cap” mags to MA but there ain’t a ton of them.
Postban “hi cap” mags are felonies in MA. So sure you might be able to find a seller willing to ship them to your door but just know the risks until they’re “permanently” fixed to 10 rounds.

If you possess that mag in MA and are not a member of one of the "more equal than others" classes you will be violating the law.
Gotcha. My goal is to have them fixed for 10rds but that makes sense now

Nati, drew1220 you guys nailed it! Alright now I guess I gotta patiently wait for MA dealers to have it in stock.

Nati, drew1220 you guys nailed it! Alright now I guess I gotta patiently wait for MA dealers to have it in stock.

Are you sure that someone isn't making a 10 round compatible magazine for your firearm?

I have 10 round mags for a number of my firearms, where larger capacity mags are also available.

It would be the ultimate skinflint story to buy a regular capacity mag with the intention of bringing it to a smith to cripple and getting pinched on the way, vs buying a slightly more expensive crippled mag.

Are you sure that someone isn't making a 10 round compatible magazine for your firearm?

I have 10 round mags for a number of my firearms, where larger capacity mags are also available.
I saw a 10rd cap mag available in store, bought it, but after some comparison and test fit it will not fit correctly as the 10rd mag is too short in length

It would be the ultimate skinflint story to buy a regular capacity mag with the intention of bringing it to a smith to cripple and getting pinched on the way, vs buying a slightly more expensive crippled mag.

Yes, that, but with the added frosting of the whole overtone of "punching oneself in the dick in multiple ways" on top of it all. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom