• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

magazine question

btnh6668

NES Member
After going through older posts here and on other boards i could not get any answers on AR USGI mags. We are all aware by now that keeping mags loaded does not hurt the spring. My question is regarding the feed lips. Does the loaded mag over time effect the feed lips or not? Does the pressure over time cause the lips to spread?;)(yea i know what i just asked) Can't seem to get a concrete answer.

A Veteran on the AR15 Email list found some fully loaded AR mags from his days in 'Nam . . . they all functioned perfectly according to what he reported. This was ~10 years ago, so I wouldn't expect that you'd have any problems.

Ya they’re fine. The feed lips have much more structural integrity than the spring does pushing a round upwards.

That said it’s always good to keep spare springs and followers on hand as well for any quick fixes due to poorly manufactured parts that end up in the mix sometimes.

Hopefully I never have to go dig up my stash of 20 loaded AR mags and find out the answer, but if I do I will certainly come back and report as to how they held up. Because the interwebz will totally still be functional at that point. ;)

Back
Top Bottom