• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

magazine review of 22 LR ammo

QTHNH

NES Member
I was reading a firearms magazine recently and it had a pretty good review and comparison of 22 LR ammo, but I have since recycled all the magazines and cannot find the same article online. (It may have been in Guns and Ammo, but like I said, I did not find it online.)

Does anyone recall seeing a 22 LR ammo review in the last month or so, and can provide a reference?

Thanks.

Was there something particular about this article that makes you want to find it again?

Was there something particular about this article that makes you want to find it again?

Two reasons. It had good info in it, and I assumed I could find it online when needed (choosing optimal ammo for 22 pistol league types of competition), and I recommended it to someone who just purchased a 22 target pistol and was asking about optimal ammo for target, and I could not find it :(

it was guns and ammo........article was ok...no major revelations

Thanks. Surprised I could not find it online at G&A.

re: no major revelations

I concur, but the person asking me was a noob, and I thought it was good material for him to reference.

best tip i can give anyone ahooting 22lr is buy a variety at the price point you think is with in your likings.
then find what shoot best in your particular platform and go and buy as much as the same lot as possible.

the only G&A article i found on line was for 22lr self defense

Two reasons. It had good info in it, and I assumed I could find it online when needed (choosing optimal ammo for 22 pistol league types of competition), and I recommended it to someone who just purchased a 22 target pistol and was asking about optimal ammo for target, and I could not find it :(

CCI Standard Velocity is probably the most common ammo used in league matches with Wolf probably a close second. Until you get to the Master-class shooters.
The S&W 41 shoots best with it.

CCI Standard Velocity is probably the most common ammo used in league matches with Wolf probably a close second. Until you get to the Master-class shooters.

my 41 makes me feel like i know what i am doing. pretty much does well with all but the cheapest bulk packs.

my 41 makes me feel like i know what i am doing. pretty much does well with all but the cheapest bulk packs.

I have had good luck with my Ruger MkIII and Federal white box 22LR. And CCI was my other go-to ammo for matches when I was in a league.

All, thanks for the feedback, and will keep an eye out for G&A website to post the article I originally asked about.

CCI Standard Velocity was also the best pick from other blogs / tests. It was super consistent, readily available, and not expensive.

CCI Standard Velocity was also the best pick from other blogs / tests. It was super consistent, readily available, and not expensive.

WhAt not hyper velocity[wink]
The entire thing with what 22lr is the most accurate is tough. Depends on the bullet charge weight ectect.
How consistent are the loads. I'm a huge fan of anything 22lr by Remington although I have a few cases of the U.S. Army contracted remington SV that has proven it self to be very good. Which I base on my skills and platforms I available to me.
It can hold the 10ring of a SR 1 target at 100 yards with my 513t with match sights shooting prone supported.
The entire 10 ring area! Now wolf match extra and SK plus will get me down to 2moa and more concentrated groups and if me and the sights are on X's are more plentiful....now my skills and rifles/pistols don't improve much after that 12$/50 box threshold. 20$+ tenex is not going to help me much.
This is one of the most complete test I have seen.
Only thing it's done with a $10k rifle!

What I have found out with my own shooting is the so called "best" ammo lapua,Eley, RWS manufactures lower tier offerings are generally more money than the upper end of the others like Aquila,wolf,SK,CCI but generally are not as good.
Balancing act for sure.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Last edited:
Yep, saw it in Guns & Ammo. Was surprised they didn't have federal automatch. They had some federal, but not the automatch if I remember correctly. I know it's not the best stuff on earth, but it's far from the worst, is cheap, and readily available. I don't compete with my 22, just have fun!

I ran a little ammo test today.
Found out my 513t does no like the cold no matter the ammo.
On most days I can easily group 1.5moa with this old dog and scope.
Today I was lucky to hold 3 moa.
The cold really played havoc on the 22lr ammo.
Eley target taking the worst of it and going from predicatable 1.5" groups at 100 yards to about 5" . RWS match rifle fell apart also was also the only ammo with a clear change in report from some rounds in the string...and they dropped 2" below the group.
Best ammo for today was aguila super extra and SK standard plus..
So fun playing in the cold.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's the ammo or the cold steel of the chamber and the action. I was shooting 22 yesterday also but besides a couple of extraction issues on the first cold barrel rounds I thought the ammo fared well. I also shot Eley Target, along with CCI SV and Sk Pistol Match. Blazer too. The best 3 shot group at 50 yds was the Eley. Also, the Blazer basically punched one hole with 10 shots, ignoring a flier, at 25 yds. Definitely fun in the cold having the place to yourself. Posted the targets on the thread I started on the Savage a22, but shot these with a 10/22.

I ran a little ammo test today.
Found out my 513t does no like the cold no matter the ammo.
On most days I can easily group 1.5moa with this old dog and scope.
Today I was lucky to hold 3 moa.
The cold really played havoc on the 22lr ammo.
Eley target taking the worst of it and going from predicatable 1.5" groups at 100 yards to about 5" . RWS match rifle fell apart also was also the only ammo with a clear change in report from some rounds in the string...and they dropped 2" below the group.
Best ammo for today was aguila super extra and SK standard plus..
So fun playing in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom