magazines

Quick question, I have a g-23 with 3 clips. I have 1 clip loaded with my defensive rounds. and 2 clips that i load and unload almost every weekend. The most I do with the defensive clip is chamber the first round, then add it back to the mag when I go to the back yard for practice. Are there any general rules as to how long to leave a clip full.(could the spring get a set) Or do you usually rotate out the ammo at a set time to another clip. Any advice would be great. Thanks for all the other tips on here.

I think most of the crap about leaving mags full is mostly BS, unless the
springs are weak or compromised to begin with.

The real thing you have to watch out for is bullet setback, especially in
.40 S+W and .357 Sig. You can only chamber a round so many times before
it gets compromised... With good SD ammo in .40 it takes awhile, but it will
move. With .357 sig in some guns it can take as little as 3
chamberings. The only real solution is either avoiding unloading the gun and
rotating the chambered rounds with the others in your supply. Periodically I'll
weed out the more abused cartridges and fire them off when I go to the
range.

Edit: Here's an article on bullet setback- admittedly its overly alarmist but it
explains the issues related:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/setback.html

-Mike

Last edited:
1. They're not "clips;" they're magazines or "mags." [slap]

2. Current thought is that static storage, whether fully loaded, partially loaded or unloaded, is not the problem. CYCLING wears the springs.

Springs are, compared to most other parts, cheap. Good ones are readily available. When in doubt, change regularly, depending upon how often you shoot.

Also change ammo regularly. Self Defense ammo isn't cheap, but surely you can afford a box every other month. Just make it a monthly habit to shoot off the current batch and load up some fresh.

As was posted above, springs are cheap. 5000 rounds or annually is a good conservative routine.

sorry about calling them clips it is just faster to type than magazines

Which is why a lot of people use "Mags" or "Mag" as its even shorter than "Clips" or "Clip". (^_^)

I wouldn't like the idea of re-chambering the same round every weekend. I've heard that could change the way the bullet is seated in the case. Shooting that one clip of defensive ammo each week along with the other mags would help you follow Chris's advice as well! And you defensive load may not zero the same way as your practice rounds -- something good to know.

cheers,
Chuck

You know that I had to post this on this thread... Right?

magazinevsclip.jpg

Back
Top Bottom