• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MAGPUL MBUS front sight post

So I got a new AR45 pistol. It has an EoTech on it, and I wanted to have some back up irons. My buddy gave me some cheapies he had laying around, and when I went to sight in the irons, the front sight post is no where near tall enough to co-witness with the EoTech. Talking the base is up so high I can see daylight under it and has cleared the retention/set screw.

I wanted to get some Magpul MBUS flip ups, I've used them in the past and have been happy with them, but can I get a taller front sight post? Is it a standard front sight post or something proprietary to Magpul? FWIW the rear and front sight are on the same plane, rear on the reciever of course and the front on a railed midwest industries hardguard/tube.

Are you using a different mount for the Eotech or just it’s own built in base? There are different thicknesses for RDS mounts available to get a custom witness that you prefer. Your BUIS are all common sized, it’s the RDS mount you need to work with.

Are you using a different mount for the Eotech or just it’s own built in base? There are different thicknesses for RDS mounts available to get a custom witness that you prefer. Your BUIS are all common sized, it’s the RDS mount you need to work with.

Using just the EoTech base. Its not on a riser or anything.

i was thinking the sight is a gas block mounted sight as opposed to one that mounts to a hand guard rail. you can just buy the magpul front separately and see if it works with the rear you have.

A pic of your front sight set up and rail with the Eotech also may help others here to help you.

It’s hard sometimes to envision what somebody has done and what their level of experience is, like “ok he knows what he’s doing so we can skip over the basic and move to a seemingly more complicated problem” vs “my sight radius seems way off not sure what I’m doing wrong” basic resolutions.

Hopefully I explained that right, I’m still working some coffee here. But will give you this below as an example, I was scanning the classifieds a while ago and saw this listing, not sure why but I took a screenshot thinking it may be helpful at some point.

6561B7AB-94D0-4C3A-824D-AA996EF6081C.png

Your EOtech is probably set up for a lower 1/3 cowitness. Zero the irons and eotech separately then when you look down the sights with the rear and font site flipped up everything should line up. without the rear site flipped up, your red dot/holo will be higher then the BUIS. This is mainly useful for people running fixed front sights.

I see further down you state that it is not on a riser, but if you bought an EXPS as opposed to the XPS. Then it would come from factory with a riser for a lower 1/3 cowitness. But as said cannot tell without photos. If it is mounted on the rail and not giving you a cowitness I am having a hard time not seeing it be a lower third.
Edit: I went up to my gun room to get a quick photo for you as a reference before work. So apologies for the unfinished attic. But the LMT flip up I have is NOT any shorter/taller than the MBUS series from Magpul and you can see it sits very low in the back. The full photo shows just how low into the optic both sights are sitting.
94355455_267734821025855_7082468944472178688_n.jpg 94381846_677724016327218_3597665538584608768_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom