• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mags at the ready

I know this is a very subjective question but i'm in the process of building up my "grab N go" shelf in my safe. Grab N go meaning mags that are loaded "at the ready" in case SHTF or whatever. What is a good number of mags per pistol/rifle that you guys suggest? Right now, i'm buying mags based on 4 per pistol. Rifles i'm looking at 15ish. They will sit on the top shelf of my safe in the even that I had to "grab N go." I live behind a major college and also have a T station coming to the end of my street in a year or two so I want to make sure that I am ready for anything. I don't want to have to run downstairs and load mags before I can go, hence the grab N go. Thoughts?

I always keep my mags loaded, aside from that I have 4-5 pistol mags and just grab rifle mags whenever I see them priced decently

Rifles i'm looking at 15ish.
how many rifles do you plan on grabbing when you go? isn't 15 mags even more than a combat load out in the military? it's a lot of weight to tote if for some reason you have to be on foot. me, i'm not expecting a situation anytime soon but i do have 4 30's ready to travel.

I always keep my mags loaded, aside from that I have 4-5 pistol mags and just grab rifle mags whenever I see them priced decently
Same. Always had some mags loaded but got bored one day and loaded them all except for the 22lr. The "go-to's" are 6 mags plus one in the rifle, and 2 mags plus one in the pistol.

how many rifles do you plan on grabbing when you go? isn't 15 mags even more than a combat load out in the military? it's a lot of weight to tote if for some reason you have to be on foot. me, i'm not expecting a situation anytime soon but i do have 4 30's ready to travel.
More than one rifle, rendezvous at rally point, divide up supplies, conquer with numbers! Wolverines!

6-8 on vest usually had 4 extra in backpack.

i think having a place where you can go when SHTF is more important then having 15 mags fully loaded , doubt that the looting and killing would start right away but who knows

This would be in case i had to "bug out" quickly or even hunker down in the house quickly. College campus is literally 50-100yd from my back yard so an active shooter or 2 could easily affect my neighborhood. My thought process is to have "X" amount ready to go and not have to run downstairs and load mags as there may not be time for that.

For a rifle, keep 1 in the gun, and 3 or 4 in the safe with it, then keep a small bag with 3 or 4 more where ever you keep your boots and jackets. I wouldn't worry about your pistol, if you need a gun and can have a rifle, take the rifle.

Are you bugging out/hunkering down with a belt/chest rig, or just tossing them in a bag? If bag, what headednorth suggested. If belt/rig, load up the rig too.

I know this is a very subjective question but i'm in the process of building up my "grab N go" shelf in my safe. Grab N go meaning mags that are loaded "at the ready" in case SHTF or whatever. What is a good number of mags per pistol/rifle that you guys suggest? Right now, i'm buying mags based on 4 per pistol. Rifles i'm looking at 15ish. They will sit on the top shelf of my safe in the even that I had to "grab N go." I live behind a major college and also have a T station coming to the end of my street in a year or two so I want to make sure that I am ready for anything. I don't want to have to run downstairs and load mags before I can go, hence the grab N go. Thoughts?

Personally, I think you got your shit squared away. Better then most. Good for you. ~Matt

I like to have 4 loaded mags ready to go for any of my handguns that I can easily grab

This would be in case i had to "bug out" quickly or even hunker down in the house quickly. College campus is literally 50-100yd from my back yard so an active shooter or 2 could easily affect my neighborhood. My thought process is to have "X" amount ready to go and not have to run downstairs and load mags as there may not be time for that.
Be carful about Gunz on school property !

Be carful about Gunz on school property !

Lol. They should have never built that school next to his house.

Kinda like when a housing development gets built next to a gun range that has been in the same spot for 125 years, and the range is supposed to shut down...

Grab and go where? Like have loaded mags with your rifle in case you need to barricade yourself in the house for a riot, or like you want to bug out to the small wooded area in your local park?

LOL, no kidding.

If there is an active shooter on campus you can expect the police to beat your door down looking for him and if you have a gun, you WILL be a casualty!

Personally my ccw handguns I like to have at least 5 mags, 3 loaded at all times and carried with the gun and 2 for range practice. More is better however.

I love and can vouch for, Olongapo Outfitters. The Original Grab-n-Go.

I have Grab-n-Go's for Garand's, AR's, AK's and Glock.

Retired US Marine owner builds great products...
Olongapo Outfitters

CB_ar15_30_rd_grab_and_go_new_flaps_003s-2.jpg
guns_and_gear_020s.jpg

Just talking rifle mags, between AR, AK, FAL and M1 carbine I have over 60 loaded mags locked up in plastic containers/ steel ammo cans at any given time. I don't think I'd like to be hauling all that on foot. Haha.

AK chest rig with 6 mags, plus a carrying bag with 4 more AK mags.

I have some AR mags loaded as well.
Variety of pistol mags loaded with JHP, can easily be tossed in the extra slots on the chest rig.

I also have an M1 Garand bandoleer I received as a prize in the Garand match competition, I could probably put some enblocs in it for good measure.

I keep all my magazines loaded. This way I'm not wasting time at the range loading them. I just take what I want and throw it into the range bag when I go shooting. A couple of extra boxes of ammo if I think I need. Then when I get home I reload them all at my own convenience while watching tv or something.

I keep 3 AR mags and 3 Pistol mags loaded in the safe, every pistol I own (5) has s mag in it as well. As far as grab n go is concerned I’m not going anywhere, if SHTF I’m standing my ground and defending my house. End of story.

LOL, no kidding.

If there is an active shooter on campus you can expect the police to beat your door down looking for him and if you have a gun, you WILL be a casualty!
Bullshit, if police come knocking on your door your not going to be a casualty unless your a F’in idiot and greet them with your AR pointing at them

I love and can vouch for, Olongapo Outfitters. The Original Grab-n-Go. I have Grab-n-Go's for Garand's, AR's, AK's and Glock. Retired US Marine owner builds great products...
Olongapo Outfitters

Thanks for the link.
It is very cool that they have an option for 20 round AR mags, I actually have more 20's than 30's

I, too, am wondering...go where?

Traffic on a good day paralyzes travel inside the 495 loop, and in a SHTF situation it won’t be any better. It took me 3 light cycles to cross Rt 1 in Norwood to get to Trillium in Canton for crying out loud

All my pistols have 4-5 mags and I keep them full just because I want to start pew-pewing once I get to the range

Back
Top Bottom