• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine & NH on just an MA LTC?

I live in a MA town that's right on the NH border so I'm crossing over often. Last year I paid $100 for a Non Resident LTC. Wish I had known they were going to change the law.

Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1996 requires local-state issued permit

I live in a MA town that's right on the NH border so I'm crossing over often. Last year I paid $100 for a Non Resident LTC. Wish I had known they were going to change the law.
Having the NH card does get your reciprocity with six additional states (including Pennsylvania and West Virginia) and exempts you from the Federal GFSZ act while in NH, so it's not entirely valueless.

I think it's due to all the grey areas in laws that cause confusion which people have had to deal with over the years and it's hard for them to grasp that something might be so simple and straightforward as Constitutional Carry.

I'm continuously amazed at the lack of reading comprehension, level of laziness, or both by people when they post like this lol.

Only if you bring it with you[wink][smile] Your Ma. LTC means nothing to them up in NH unless you've applied for a NR permit than they will want a copy of it sent to the NH State Police before issuing their NR permit.

So wait... can I carry in NH with a MA permit?

Only if you bring it with you[wink][smile] Your Ma. LTC means nothing to them up in NH unless you've applied for a NR permit than they will want a copy of it sent to the NH State Police before issuing their NR permit.
You don't have to send them a copy of your home state in New Hampshire. They don't require that you have a permit in your home state to get a non-resident.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One caveat with NH. No NH license means you can NOT carry on an ATV. With the NH license you can carry on an ATV.
Quibble: that's only "loaded carry" under NH law, which means a magazine with ammo actually in the pistol, or ammo in the cylinder of a revolver. You can carry a handgun with no ammo, but a loaded magazine or speedloader at the ready. It's better than nothing.

Also, it doesn't have to be a NH license, just one of the 28 licenses recognized by NH (MA is not among them). NH doesn't require residency in the state of issue.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

You need the maine permit for (Acadia National Park).
Doesn't have to be a Maine license, just one of the 14 that Maine accepts. The same also goes for duty to notify a LEO. Maine does require residency in the issuing state to recognize a license.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_reciprocity.html

Doesn't have to be a Maine license, just one of the 14 that Maine accepts. The same also goes for duty to notify a LEO. Maine does require residency in the issuing state to recognize a license.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_reciprocity.html

The dude that asked that's from Marlborough (according to his profile) so that means it's not happening. MA residents are basically stained by this with no way around it. This is an excellent point though that's worth bringing up, because NH Resident P/R does have reciprocity with Maine, so this is an unlock for NH residents with a P/R at least.

-Mike

You can. You just need a carry license to do so. Same goes for a snowmobile.
Yes I understand your need a license, they said that a couple of posts ago. I have a New Hampshire non-resident, I was going to let it expire in July. Why can you not carry loaded on a snowmobile or ATV with out a permit what is the rationale?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Be aware, apparently "No Guns" signs actually mean something in Maine:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
“YES”
Title 17-A: Part 2 Chapter 17: B
§402. Criminal Trespass
1. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that that person is not licensed or privileged to do so, that person:
C. Enters any place from which that person may lawfully be excluded and that is posted in accordance with subsection 4 or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders or that is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime; [2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF); 2001, c. 383, §56 (AMD).]

17-A M.R.S.A. § 1057, Possession of Firearms in an Establishment Licensed for On Premises Consumption of Liquor
1. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a private investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89
and actually performing as a private investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction

Fix 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) to recognize reciprocity

exempts you from the Federal GFSZ act while in NH
Interesting, I had in my head that it needed to be a Resident permit for this.
The key criteria isn't that the licensee is a resident of the state, but that the license itself is issued by that state (or an entity inside that state). So reciprocity doesn't help with the GFSZA.

This is stupid, and 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) needs to be amended or the entire act replaced

The key criteria isn't that the licensee is a resident of the state, but that the license itself is issued by that state (or an entity inside that state). So reciprocity doesn't help with the GFSZA.

This is stupid, and 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) needs to be amended or the entire act replaced
GFSZA is terrible and needs to go. I would settle for an amendment that replaces the entire text of 922 with the second amendment.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The law doesn't require that the license be issued by the state in which the school is located, but ATF insists on reading it that way. Think about it: people with recognized licenses are still licensed by the state to carry; if they were not, they would be carrying illegally without a license (before constitutional carry).

There is also considerable debate about whether a NH license exempts anyone from GFSZA. Any federal prosecutor could certainly make charges stick if he wants to, because the NH license does not meet the plain language of the law. It doesn't have to be issued by police (many small towns don't even have police), and there is no requirement that anyone verify anything except identity.

The law doesn't require that the license be issued by the state in which the school is located, but ATF insists on reading it that way. Think about it: people with recognized licenses are still licensed by the state to carry; if they were not, they would be carrying illegally without a license (before constitutional carry).
It's easy to read "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State" either way.

Of the 600 or so GFSZA prosecutions, I know of one case involving a person with a carry license.

There is also considerable debate about whether a NH license exempts anyone from GFSZA. Any federal prosecutor could certainly make charges stick if he wants to, because the NH license does not meet the plain language of the law. It doesn't have to be issued by police (many small towns don't even have police), and there is no requirement that anyone verify anything except identity.
There's debate, but the FBI, state and local law enforcement all believe that a NH P&R exempts the bearer from GFSZA:
UnionLeader said:
A concealed-carry permit, which is issued by local police, meets the licensing requirement for the Gun Free School act, state and federal officials say.

In open carry states, a person who brings a gun into a school polling place on Election Day would be in violation of federal law if the gun were not licensed, said Enza Sheehan, a spokesman for the FBI. In New Hampshire, that license would be a concealed carry permit, she said.

State officials have been saying the same thing. "If a voter does not have a concealed carry permit and carries a firearm into the school while voting, that person may be violating federal law," said Senior Assistant Attorney General Brian Buonamano last week.

Buonamano said local election officials, local police and state police cannot enforce the Gun Free School Zones Act, which is a federal law.

All else aside, nice to see New Hampshire's Attorney General's office issue a statement affirming the right to carry, and the state's lack of authority to enforce federal law.

In ME, if you don't have a ME license or license from a state that ME recognizes, and you are pulled over with the firearm in a locked container (say I started my trip in MA with the gun in a locked container in my trunk), do you need to inform LEO if stopped, or is inform only if CC on person?

If asked directly, don't lie, but don't volunteer information

In ME, if you don't have a ME license or license from a state that ME recognizes, and you are pulled over with the firearm in a locked container (say I started my trip in MA with the gun in a locked container in my trunk), do you need to inform LEO if stopped, or is inform only if CC on person?

[thread=80027]Maine[/thread], Vermont, and New Hampshire have no requirement to inform when you are transporting an unloaded firearm, whether it is in a locked container or not. If asked directly about what's in the back, don't lie, but don't volunteer anything not required by law.

Last edited:
[thread=80027]Maine[/thread], Vermont, and New Hampshire have no requirement to inform when you are transporting an unloaded firearm, whether it is in a locked container or not. If asked directly, don't lie, but don't volunteer anything not required by law.

My understanding is that if you are stopped while concealed carrying w/o a ME resident or non resident LTC the firearm must be declared.
I don't really pay attention because I kept both states because of the way it was done. If an anti gun governor comes in it could be easily reneged IMO and a mad rush would ensue for LTC's.
My peace of mind is better than a few bucks in my pocket.

There is an executive order in Maine banning carry in the capitol area. Any insight on this? I am going to Portland tomorrow and would like to bring the H&K. What is "the capital area"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There is an executive order in Maine banning carry in the capitol area. Any insight on this? I am going to Portland tomorrow and would like to bring the H&K. What is "the capital area"?

If I'm not mistaken, the "capitol area" would be in Augusta, not Portland.

How does the constitutional carry law affect storage/carrying in a vehicle? Does the gun need to be unloaded in a vehicle when you're in it, or when you park the vehicle?

How does the constitutional carry law affect storage/carrying in a vehicle? Does the gun need to be unloaded in a vehicle when you're in it, or when you park the vehicle?

Con Carry means just that, they recognize the 2nd Amendment. NO permit required for open or concealed carry on person even if in a vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom