Maine & NH on just an MA LTC?

there won't be a law that says "NH P&R holders don't need to inform LEO". That's not the way laws are written.

We've shown you where the law states that NH and Maine have full reciprocity. Perhaps it would be best to call the Maine State Police and ask. I'm not sure what else we can give you.

This issue has been discussed at great length already, I would also suggest the forum search feature.

Yes, but does a NH resident P&RL convey relief from
the duty to notify law enforcement of a concealed handgun
and if so, what is the law that says so?
What is the law that says it doesn't?
MRSA §2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement

When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun ... and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer ... during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.​

Chapter 252 (not 25, my mistake) says in §2002. Definitions:

9. Issuing authority. "Issuing authority" means the following:
C. To a nonresident:
(1) The Chief of the State Police; ...

NH resident P&RL's are not issued by the Maine Chief of the State Police.
They are not issued as provided in 25 MRSA Ch. 252.

So they don't relieve bearers of the duty to inform law enforcement
when carrying a handgun that is concealed.

MRSA §2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement

When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun ... and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer ... during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.​

Chapter 252 (not 25, my mistake) says in §2002. Definitions:

9. Issuing authority. "Issuing authority" means the following:
C. To a nonresident:
(1) The Chief of the State Police; ...

NH resident P&RL's are not issued by the Maine Chief of the State Police.
They are not issued as provided in 25 MRSA Ch. 252.

So they don't relieve bearers of the duty to inform law enforcement
when carrying a handgun that is concealed.

<sigh>

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter; [2015, c. 144, §1 (RPR).]

there won't be a law that says "NH P&R holders don't need to inform LEO". That's not the way laws are written.

There is a law that says "holders of permits issued by Maine don't need to inform LEO".
Not "... 'recognized' by Maine ..." - issued.

We've shown you where the law states that NH and Maine have full reciprocity. Perhaps it would be best to call the Maine State Police and ask. I'm not sure what else we can give you.

This issue has been discussed at great length already, I would also suggest the forum search feature.

An out-of-stater whose CCW only gets found during a Terry frisk in Maine,
and tries to justify it by some mythical law which they can't even find to cite,may not like the outcome.

<sigh>

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter; [2015, c. 144, §1 (RPR).]

That's an exception to the crime of "Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon".

If it was also an exception to the duty to notify,
then the duty-to-notify law would say so, which it doesn't.

I hate to bring up an old topic, but was looking at going up to Maine later this spring, and when looking at USCCAs reciprocity map (as a MA LTC holder) Maine is a red state now for us? Has something changed? Or is it marked in red for some other reason that I can’t seem to find on their app?

I hate to bring up an old topic, but was looking at going up to Maine later this spring, and when looking at USCCAs reciprocity map (as a MA LTC holder) Maine is a red state now for us? Has something changed? Or is it marked in red for some other reason that I can’t seem to find on their app?

Can’t speak to the app but Maine is constitutional carry. Your MA LTC is useless there. I seem to recall that you need the Maine non-Res if you want to conceal carry in Acadia.

Can’t speak to the app but Maine is constitutional carry. Your MA LTC is useless there. I seem to recall that you need the Maine non-Res if you want to conceal carry in Acadia.
Maine State Police have a list of states they recognize as valid in Maine. Massachusetts is not one of them. Constitutional Carry is granted to residents of Maine and the states they have signed agreements with. It's best to spend the $60.00 every four years and have a valid permit than have to bail yourself out of jail and needing to explain to a judge that you misunderstood the law. I have a feeling they wouldn't care anyway. If you have doubt you can call the Maine State Police and ask them yourself.

Maine State Police have a list of states they recognize as valid in Maine. Massachusetts is not one of them. Constitutional Carry is granted to residents of Maine and the states they have signed agreements with. It's best to spend the $60.00 every four years and have a valid permit than have to bail yourself out of jail and needing to explain to a judge that you misunderstood the law. I have a feeling they wouldn't care anyway. If you have doubt you can call the Maine State Police and ask them yourself.

Wrong! Care to try this one again?

Nothing like posting your first post in the 6 yrs you've been on NES and spewing wrong legal information!

NO Maine license is required to possess or carry in Maine. MA LTC is meaningless there as well. The only catches without a Maine license is that if stopped by the police and carrying without one you must declare that you are carrying, can't carry in Acadia National Park or some (might be all, unsure) state parks. Otherwise carry on!

You’re talking out of your ass. First, I don’t live in Massachusetts I live in Pennsylvania. Second, I can carry anywhere I want in Maine under what is commonly referred to as “constitutional carry”. I must follow three rules as a resident of PA when carrying in Maine,
  1. I can’t carry in Acadia National Park
  2. No open carry in State parks
  3. Employees’ vehicles on work premises (vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible)

Back
Top Bottom