• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Needed to replenish some items, saw these on 4Patriots and decided to get more. They were out of the smaller size so I got two boxes of 10 packages each, figured I could manage their shelf life better and share some with close family.

As people have said before, these do have a pleasant smell and taste, lemony. They are easy to bite and chew, but they do crumble a bit (my only "complaint" besides the weight).

The Box is a survival kit that dates back to 2003. They came with one Mainstay package, some (6?) packages of water, a candle, matches, and a first aid kit (if I remember everything accurately). I am debating whether I want to open that Mainstay to see how it survived.

I figure that one of the Mainstay packages along with at least 2 ready-to-eat MRS in my BOB could do me for about a week as long as I could get enough water.

IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883 (2).JPG

I opened a pack of similar rations by Datrex that were sitting in the trunk of my car year-round for 7 years. At that point they were 2 years past date. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them. Did a head-to-head comparison with new product and there was almost no difference. Just a /slight/ change in flavor and color. The water packets I had in with them were fine.

Please post up the results if you do go ahead and try them. I'd love to know how much longer I can leave this kind of stuff in my car.

Are these or something like them worth getting to add to my freeze dried foods, bottled water, tp, and ammo stash? I won't say where I live, and both spouse and I are pretty good shots, we practice regularly at a local fish and game club.

They can't hurt. It gives you some easy to access food which requires no preparation. It AUGMENTS your other food supplies, it does not replace them.

They have a 5 year shelf life so I would not get a whole lot to start out with. Build up your store of them so that they all don't expire at once. Something which I am sure you probably already do with other items.

They are just about tasty enough to have as a snack food. I like mine with a nice cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Are these or something like them worth getting to add to my freeze dried foods, bottled water, tp, and ammo stash? I won't say where I live, and both spouse and I are pretty good shots, we practice regularly at a local fish and game club.
Definitely a nice addition. Keep in mind that they are strictly for survival calories and not a nutritionally complete food. The ones I have are really meant for lifeboat rations - they are certified to last through their expiry date under a wide variety of weather/storage conditions. That's why I put mine in my GHB in the car.

Back
Top Bottom