• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mak 90 stock set

I've had this Mak 90 for some time, its been converted to a more traditional AK from the imported thumbhole stock and such. The stock set is has is pretty rough and made of a softer wood.

I ordered a surplus stock set that had been refinished to a deep red as advertised. After some cutting, sanding and fitting, I got it to fit under the Chinese 1.5mm receiver. Its fit as good as it can be but I'm not hip on the color. It's like a bright kool-aide red. I mean, by itself, it looks nice with the grain and all, just not for me.

So, this is a long winded way to ask where the hell can I buy a stock set for a Chinese AK. I know of Ironwood designs, but sadly that gentleman has passed on to the big range in the sky, and he was probably the most reputable and available source there was.

I didn't know if any of you AK gurus know a guy who knows a guy and all that. Tried the usuall sources but its not panning out, might as well try here.

Thanks all.

I was going to suggest ironwood designs, sad to hear the owner died! Did not know that and I hope production continues in some fashion. I got an old surplus RPK stock, and sanded down the reciever shank to fit the MAK’s thicker reciever. Turned out alright, but I didn't swap out the forgrips, though i’d like to at some point.

Just buy any standard furniture kit. I like the romy kits from apex gun parts. Soak them in mineral spirits overnight and the paint and shellac will dissolve right off. Let it dry overnight then paint the stock set with whatever color stain you like. After that apply a shellac or wipe on poly with a cloth. Then sand down the parts to fit. I’ve done this multiple times. Just make sure you don’t take too much wood off when you’re sanding. Trial and error should be a tight fit.

Back
Top Bottom