• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man arrested at BU trying to carry guns into graduation ceremony

Carry on restricted is a lesser offense (civil fine, no possible time in stir) than carry on school grounds.

My guess is that he was arrested because the police felt like arresting, and the disturbing the peace charge could have been fabricated from whole cloth to justify the arrest. Stranger things have happened.

This would have normally got a quiet deal, quite possibly a CWOF - but he is screwed because of the publicity.

Can't wait to see what the news at 11 is gonna say......makes me sick

Fired from my HTC One with high capacity storage

Look how the sensational liberal media jumped on it making it look like the cops are heroes for stopping a madman from slaughtering hundreds. Sick.

What was the disturbance? It looks like the disturbance was caused by the police.

97688713-boston-strong.jpg

No way in hell was simply stepping out of line used as grounds for extra scrutiny on the man.
Don't be to sure. At the college graduation I attended a couple of years ago, security was the campus police, not minimum wage. It is quite possible a cop asked "why did you leave the line" and the person volunteered the info. I am familiar with an 269-10(j) at a public school that was filed because the father of a student chatted up a cop (first mistake) and volunteered "yes" when asked "is there a gun in that fannypack".

This person either has a problem making good decisions or had an exceptionally bad instructor for his MA licensing class.

Ok,

For one I'm not buying any of this BS. You have to look at the totality of the whole circumstance, both from the police point of view as wells as the defendants. There is many ways this case could and will go, for instance, when did it become a police seizure could throw out the whole case entirely if it is found his rights were violated. Now like I stated before we don't know the whole story, just some new articles bias view. Many things will come into play including the police report, their suspicions and why they ended up with probable cause to arrest, as well as eyewitness statements. As some stated before public way and jurisdiction could be looked at. Now my personal opinion and questions from what I've gathered:

The defendant (Andrea) has a restricted LTC.... Strike 1, He was on school Property... Strike 2 and has a charge of Disorderly.. Strike 3. I'd love to know the reason behind the disorderly charge, my hunch guess it was just thrown in there when it didn't need to be to hold more weight at court. The mere fact is it sounds like he didn't know the laws and has no idea what he was getting himself into...... read below....

This is the problem with MA and carrying a gun. You need to do your research before carrying a gun anywhere, and this also goes out of state if legally carrying there also. I fully support 2A, but there too many people out there just buying guns and carrying them without the proper knowledge, heck a good portion of the cops don't even know the MA gun Law. My suggestion, before going out to carry. Sign up for a good MA gun law seminar class taught by a person who really knows the law, and sign up for a deadly force class taught by someone who knows about use of force and how to use it properly, God forbid you ever have to. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
This person either has a problem making good decisions or had an exceptionally bad instructor for his MA licensing class.

Or he wasn't really paying attention when this was covered. Which would sort of fall under the bad decision making part.

I wonder if he'll try to sue his instructor?

A dog decoy would have bought him time.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Gotta love boston.com's typical biased editorializing in their bylines: "Man Allegedly Caught Sneaking Guns". Why use the word "sneaking"? Why aren't the facts simply "man allegedly tries to bring guns"?

Gotta love boston.com's typical biased editorializing in their bylines: "Man Allegedly Caught Sneaking Guns". Why use the word "sneaking"? Why aren't the facts simply "man allegedly tries to bring guns"?

Evidently he saw a sign saying guns weren't allowed and he was trying to get to his car with them when he was caught.

Im glad they arrested this guy.
clearly he was up to no good and looking to cause problems.
pheeeew one less criminal out there.

In one of the news reports it said he was licensed for target and hunting. Not sure how accurate the report is but that could be one of the charges carrying concealed without proper license.

I just read this on the Boston.com article

Boston University spokesperson Colin Riley told Boston.com the suspect “didn’t want to let police stop him,” which prompted additional scrutiny.

Can saying no to the police be grounds for a search? There must be a ton of case law on this.

Also, the title sucks. It looks like he wasn't trying to sneak anything in. He just turned around when he found out he would be entering campus.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/05/18/man-allegedly-caught-sneaking-guns-into-graduation/1f41bHnv7irrR9oYNFlMwL/story.html?p1=Must_Reads

Allegedly spotted trying to turn back from checkpoint, prior to the point at which he voluntarily submitted to a search. The MA courts have already ruled you cannot withdraw consent once the voluntary search starts, but have not yet ruled that you cannot leave the line for such a search once you are in it.

I would be willing to bet the chances a MA court would find that leaving a search line is probably cause for an involuntary search is rather high.

I would not, given their OUI checkpoint jurisprudence, which is not very government friendly.

Back
Top Bottom