Man Fatally Shoots Pit Bull To Stop*Attack

D’Amour said the owner of the dogs told him he did the right the thing

Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?

CBS said:
D’Amour was also bitten during the struggle. He says Molly has two serious wounds. “It’s an unfortunate incident but thank God I was carrying,” D’Amour said. The owner of the pit bulls arrived in the area and was cooperative with police. The dogs had current vaccination records and their owner said he was out trying to corral them at the time of the incident.

D’Amour said the owner of the dogs told him he did the right the thing.

Police say witnesses confirmed the story and at this point there are no charges.
WMUR says "No charges". WMUR sounds disappointed.

Seems for once the media got it right, the attacking dogs were actual pit bulls?

I have to give kudos to the driver who tried (unsuccessfully) to run over the attacking pitbulls with his car.

Last edited:
Bad dog.
Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?
SOP would be for the pit bull owner to say "he threatened me with that gun", and then the defender spends years and thousands sorting it out.

At least in this instance, the dog owner said the man protecting himself did the right thing...

I like my dogs, but if one was guilty of a similar attack I'd be OK with a similar outcome. Kudos for the guy and bystander that tried to separate the dogs first.

Dog shooter would have been OK in Mass, so long as he claimed the pit was 'worrying his livestock'.

A bit off subject, but does OC spray designed for two legged threats work on dogs as well?
CS gas (real "mace") doesn't do much, but pepper spray works on dogs; that said, it won't always get a dog to let go once they've got their teeth into something (as in the Manchester pit bull incident above). Thus the break stick.

My philosophy when dog walking is "Spray them all, let the veterinarian sort it out". But I also carry a big stick, etc.

Last edited:
I like my dogs, but if one was guilty of a similar attack I'd be OK with a similar outcome. Kudos for the guy and bystander that tried to separate the dogs first.

Dog shooter would have been OK in Mass, so long as he claimed the pit was 'worrying his livestock'.

The “M*******S” that run this SORRY state wouldnt see it that way im afraid.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CS gas (real "mace") doesn't do much, but pepper spray works on dogs; that said, it won't always get a dog to let go once they've got their teeth into something (as in the Manchester pit bull incident above). Thus the break stick.

My philosophy when dog walking is "Spray them all, let the veterinarian sort it out". But I also carry a big stick, etc.

This is a little dog protection cane I made woks well for two legged trouble too. This sucker will leave a mark.IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.jpg

If your dog attacks a person, the owner should be tried for assault with intent to murder. This from an owner of 4 rototillers, bring your dogs up right and you wont have a problem.

This is a little dog protection cane I made woks well for two legged trouble too. This sucker will leave a mark.View attachment 210462View attachment 210463
Nice work. I have a similar "walking stick." It's an old ski pole with the basket cut off. It's 3' of space I can put between me and any aggressive man or beast. It's also got a sharp carbide point. Actually, it's a pretty good walking stick, too.

A friend of mine used to own a pitbull and she would tie an old wheelbarrow tire to a rope and throw it over a tree limb in her back yard. When the dog, all of 100 pounds, saw it he went crazy and would jump 5-6 feet in the air to grab it. After that it was carnage, I could see the viciousness in his eyes as he literally tore that tire apart. To see that dog dangling by his mouth latched onto to that tire was a display of the unbelievable power they have. He would be hanging there and contorting his body and using his weight to tear that thing apart. When he was in the "zone" the only thing that stopped him was when he tired himself out and finally let go.

I don't think pepper spray would do any good in a situation like that.

If your dog attacks a person, the owner should be tried for assault with intent to murder. This from an owner of 4 rototillers, bring your dogs up right and you wont have a problem.
That's too much like personal responsibility, we don't do that in MA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is just plain wrong for a situation like the one described and the kind of advice that will turn one into a PP in the blink of an eye ... unless the dog was also worrying his chickens, hogs, cows, etc. I do not know if the court will accept a pet parrot as "fowl" for the purpose of MGL.

A dog is not "livestock". MGL Chapter 140 Section 156 allows the shooting of a dog that is worrying livestock, persons of fowls. A pet dog does not fall into any of the definitions, my wife's declaration that our Mini Schnauzer is a person not withstanding. This is one of those cases where applying "common sense" to a general concept in the law will not necessarily lead to an accurate conclusion. People think things like "If I can protect a cow, I can protect my dog". Wrong. That section of MGL was written to protect the economic interest of farmers, not the person/dog relationship.

If you are in a dog shooting, you need to know how to act with the constraints of 140/156, and properly articulate such when making the report. "The dog was attacking me as well" has less credibility if added later than if included in a contemporaneous report(*).

Attorney Keith Langer has defended two dog shooting cases. He won both.

Another attorney I know lost a case because the defendant refused to say the dog was attacking him, and told the court "I shot that dog because he was attacking my dog".

Know the law, and know how to properly report an incident to document compliance with MGL.

Take Len's class and you will learn all this and more.

* - this is also true of including "black ice" on a motor vehicle accident report to avoid a surcharge

Last edited:
Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?r.
Yes, the FUDDs here who sat on their asses when the ‘98 legislation was passed would use it as further justification to do - nothing.

Thankfully we have GOAL, Comm2A, and people supporting those organizations to fight for gun rights, instead of finding excuses to do nothing, encouraged by “victory challenged” individuals who ran away from the fight.

The Freedom Project thinks 20,000 Libertarian voters can have an impact on NH politics. But 350,000 gun owners in MA think they can’t?

Yes, the FUDDs here who sat on their asses when the ‘98 legislation was passed would use it as further justification to do - nothing.

Thankfully we have GOAL, Comm2A, and people supporting those organizations to fight for gun rights, instead of finding excuses to do nothing, encouraged by “victory challenged” individuals who ran away from the fight.

The Freedom Project thinks 20,000 Libertarian voters can have an impact on NH politics. But 350,000 gun owners in MA think they can’t?
This!

"A Tale Of Two States" by Charles Dickens (who, if memory serves me correctly, moved from MA to NH after repeatedly being issued "Restricted" on his LTC application)....

Chapter One.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

*(Headline, Lowell MA: No one knew what to do...")
9f0980088ac706d32b5ed47eb5c74d88.jpg

Has anyone noticed when MA news reports a legit NH shoot, they always mention that the gun was properly licensed? What license would that be? I always find that amusing/infuriating.

^^^this...in most instances when not on their own property...only in certain instances off their property...this was a case of a dog going after another dog and the guy got bit in the process...i don't agree with going after the owner in that case...cause dogs have disagreements sometimes just based on one dog still being neutered and one not and those can sound and look much worse than they are...this instance was not one of those times...the owner did the right thing popping the dog...and i own 2 pitbulls

**** pit bulls. no problem dropping one. it’s a dog.

Uh, ok. Plenty of people say "**** gun owners" also. Way to generalize.

^^^this as well...just an ignorant comment...wonder why only certain dog breed incidents make the news and others don't?...because ratings for the sheeple...which is exactly why the below image is true...and most times unless the owner has papers or they run a DNA test on the dog you won't know the breed

Seems for once the media got it right, the attacking dogs were actual pit bulls?

just saying....

10/20/17
2 boxers and a american bulldog
http://www.mynbc5.com/article/dog-owner-arrested-following-peru-dog-attack/13059817

10/18/17
dachshunds
http://www.kboi.com/2017/10/18/baby-is-seriously-injured-after-dog-attack/

10/20/17
chow chows
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/jack-russell-stapled-back-together-658804

10/20/17
german shepard
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...tack-by-family-dog-laid-to-rest-36246771.html

10/16/17
labradors or collies
http://uckfieldnews.com/farmer-mauled-in-nutley-as-he-tried-to-protect-sheep-from-dog-attack/

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed when MA news reports a legit NH shoot, they always mention that the gun was properly licensed? What license would that be? I always find that amusing/infuriating.

I caught that. Husband said the MA news stations need to CYA and explain it that way to pacify the freedom deprived MA residents.

Back
Top Bottom