Man Fatally Shoots Pit Bull To Stop*Attack

ATTS does NOT evaluate dogs for "pet" suitability

That's like doing a realiabilty test with 3000 Ford's and only 500 chevies...meaning less.
There are plenty of pitbulls to compare 3k German shepherds with, but why did they test so many shepherds?
Those percentages mean nothing when the test subject numbers aren't the same.
There are two reasons why the ATTS numbers are German Shepherd heavy. The first is that the founder of the society started out in schutzhund, and schutzhund is dominated by German Shepherds. Secondly, testing days are always hosted by an organized dog club, so the high number of GSDs reflects high participation by GSD-focused breed clubs.

The American Temperament Testing Society's pool of dogs is self-selected by owners and breeders who want a TT (Temperament Tested) certificate. If you know your dog is bitey, you won't pay the $30 to take the test.

The competing AKC' "Canine Good Citizen" program has similar issues, but at least it's a third of the price, and some homeowner's insurance firms will give a rate discount if your dogs are CGC'd.

Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?

The first thing the Boston police would've done is do a felony disarm and then question him on why he was carrying a LOADED firearm in a peaceful neighborhood.

I love dogs. Dogs are just awesome. When it comes to pitbulls most of them are nice dogs. The problem with them though is that first, they are terriers. Terriers have been bred to dispatch pests. I currently own three little terriers. They have an incredible prey drive. If they see a bunny, they're off! If you see a small terrier catch a rat you'd see how fast they can kill. It's what they're made for. When for whatever reason a pitbull gets confused and thinks that something is a pest they'll go. If this is a person or another dog, it's a problem because of problem number two. They're really strong. When one of my little terriers goes after something it shouldn't, like cat or a chicken, I can just pick them up or hold them back on leash. If it was the mailman, the worse thing that would happen is that they would bite them and we'd be liable for the medical costs. With a pitbull, because of the size and strength, they cause horrendous damage really fast. A rottweiler, same thing. The difference between Rottwielers and pitbulls is that only one of them is a terrier. So Rottweilers don't do this as often.

There are way more badly behaved anti-social Yorkshire Terriers out there than bad pitbulls. Yorkshire terriers don't rip people's throats out though, because they're small. It only takes one bad pitbull event to be upsetting because of the implications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom