Man Fatally Shoots Pit Bull To Stop*Attack

Lemme guess- no pets, small dog, or cat person?

I can't answer for everyone, but there's a reason I always have at least one large, 'aggressive' breed. 'Aggressive' in quotes because it's BS. Depends on the dog.

Always had a Rott in the house because I travel and it's nice to have one for added protection of my wife and kids. My first Rott stopped a burglary when we were starting out and lived in a shitty neighborhood. Never had a break-in nor attempted break-in since. Also have had one get in front of the family to stop a huge bear that was approaching. The dog has a job to do, though I do enjoy the breed. Mine have been socialized to the point that each one even likes going to the vet because it means he gets to visit with people and the poking / prodding is fine. By the way, Rotts don't make the top 10 in bite frequency, though Chihuahuas and Cocker Spaniels do.

That said, if one of mine did something like the Pit in in the OP, I could not fault someone for dropping it.

Lets not sugar coat it, its a dick measuring contest with pitbull owners, street cred and tacticoolness, mostly in the thug community but also in the inadequacy sektor..

As of right now no pets, my German showline shepherd past 2 years ago and owning another one just doesn't make sense right now logistically, but I will have another at some point.
ive had pets all my life as a kid....one famiky cat that lived 21 years, A springwr spaniel that died back in the late 80s, an abondoned shepherd mix that was hit by a car at 2 yrs old, hamsters, fish, chinchillas etc etc.
Shepherds are deffinetly my favorite dog without question, even they need a firm hand. German shepherds are attractive to me for looks and for their notorious amount of loyalty, they have a very stable mentality, and obviously the top 5 in intelligence. It doesn't make me feel tuff to be walking a shepherd down the street, they have amazing qualities all around. Yes they need a firm hand, but they are less likely to cross a line between life and death when it comes to a fight, they were never bread to kill so their brain isn't telling them to keep going. Can they kill, no doubt, but ALOT less likely.
Most People buy pits for the wrong reasons, some more ignorant that others so that's why you get the killy ones.
When I see pitbull owners I often wonder if they have that dog in check, are they good owners, or are they *******s?, it makes a huge difference, especially with dogs of that temperament.
Do I wonder about barking Goldens on the end of a leash, sure? I dont want to get bitten, or nipped, but im deffinelty not worrid about the thing going for my jugular like pit bulls will instictly do if not kept in check.

Last edited:
No other breed is as bad as pit bulls as far as attacks, and or deaths.
With that said, it's due to a combination of bad owners and the breed.

i agree with the second part and would include the population of dogs that are classified as pit bulls in that combination...the higher the population of them (or dogs classified as them) the more chance there is for incidents...mix in bad owners and neglected dogs and incidents will happen...for most dogs that shelters take in all they can do is guess a breed based on looks cause DNA tests are expensive...well guess what category a lot of dogs get put into?...so unless you have papers for a dog you're just guessing the breed based off looks just like the shelter workers and news stations...could be a mutt but who knows...

the first part is probably true...i just don't know of any factual stats to support it...news reports are unreliable, classification by looks isn't accurate and dogs involved are not DNA tested...

i'm willing to bet that if you ask a shelter worker you'll find that they run into more aggressive small dogs than large dogs (as i myself have)...bites and attacks by small dogs don't get reported due to the small amount of damage they can produce so those for the most part won't be included in any statistics...

American Temperament Test Society in their 2016 stats the APBT was the 6th most tested dog of the 246 breeds tested...and the first 51 breeds with have perfect scores due to the small number of dogs that were tested for each breed (all 51 had <16 dogs tested)...these breeds have a much larger sample size

Rank by % PassingBreed NameTestedPassedFailedPercent
127ROTTWEILER5,8664,95491584.50%
120GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG3,3182,82749485.20%
171DOBERMAN PINSCHER1,7331,37135979.10%
112MIXED BREED1,2081,03316485.50%
115BOUVIER DES FLANDRES91778213585.30%
98AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER91379811587.40%
157COLLIE88871617280.60%
67LABRADOR RETRIEVER8267616692.10%
113GOLDEN RETRIEVER80468711785.40%
119AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER71661010685.20%

i agree with the second part and would include the population of dogs that are classified as pit bulls in that combination...the higher the population of them (or dogs classified as them) the more chance there is for incidents...mix in bad owners and neglected dogs and incidents will happen...for most dogs that shelters take in all they can do is guess a breed based on looks cause DNA tests are expensive...well guess what category a lot of dogs get put into?...so unless you have papers for a dog you're just guessing the breed based off looks just like the shelter workers and news stations...could be a mutt but who knows...

the first part is probably true...i just don't know of any factual stats to support it...news reports are unreliable, classification by looks isn't accurate and dogs involved are not DNA tested...

i'm willing to bet that if you ask a shelter worker you'll find that they run into more aggressive small dogs than large dogs (as i myself have)...bites and attacks by small dogs don't get reported due to the small amount of damage they can produce so those for the most part won't be included in any statistics...

American Temperament Test Society in their 2016 stats the APBT was the 6th most tested dog of the 246 breeds tested...and the first 51 breeds with have perfect scores due to the small number of dogs that were tested for each breed (all 51 had <16 dogs tested)...these breeds have a much larger sample size

157COLLIE88871617280.60%

I'm not sure what that table means at the bottom?.
Either way, I don't care about how many small dogs bite compared to big dogs. Yes all dogs, big and small can bite, mostky for the same reasons, nervousness and fear. All I know is some have more tendencies than others, it's fact, it's in the DNA.
Pitbulls have a higher rate of deaths due to the very fact they were bread to kill, I can't say it any other way...lets say collies have bitten more people than pitbulls, but pit bulls have killed more, that tells me collies have a threshold, and aren't biting for the same reason a pit bull is. A pit bull thinks it's in a fight to the death while a collie is afraid or nervous. I'm sure pitbulls also bite for this reason, but they will have tendencies to switch it to a fight scenario and keep going.
Temperment is one thing, being able to control their temperment and knowing when to stop is another, pit bulls and possiblly others of that type instinctively don't stop until the opponent or person is dead, that's what they were bread to do...fact.

Lets not sugar coat it, its a dick measuring contest with pitbull owners, street cred and tacticoolness, mostly in the thug community but also in the inadequacy sektor..

As of right now no pets, my German showline shepherd past 2 years ago and owning another one just doesn't make sense right now logistically, but I will have another at some point.
ive had pets all my life as a kid....one famiky cat that lived 21 years, A springwr spaniel that died back in the late 80s, an abondoned shepherd mix that was hit by a car at 2 yrs old, hamsters, fish, chinchillas etc etc.
Shepherds are deffinetly my favorite dog without question, even they need a firm hand. German shepherds are attractive to me for looks and for their notorious amount of loyalty, they have a very stable mentality, and obviously the top 5 in intelligence. It doesn't make me feel tuff to be walking a shepherd down the street, they have amazing qualities all around. Yes they need a firm hand, but they are less likely to cross a line between life and death when it comes to a fight, they were never bread to kill so their brain isn't telling them to keep going. Can they kill, no doubt, but ALOT less likely.
Most People buy pits for the wrong reasons, some more ignorant that others so that's why you get the killy ones.
When I see pitbull owners I often wonder if they have that dog in check, are they good owners, or are they *******s?, it makes a huge difference, especially with dogs of that temperament.
Do I wonder about barking Goldens on the end of a leash, sure? I dont want to get bitten, or nipped, but im deffinelty not worrid about the thing going for my jugular like pit bulls will instictly do if not kept in check.

OK, sounds like you are coming from an informed viewpoint. Sometimes that's rare on this forum [smile] .

We bought our first GSD a couple years ago after our Black Russian Terrier died of cancer. BRT was a rescue and an absolutely amazing dog. Extremely loyal, tolerant, and ridiculously obedient. A real beast when called for. Had her and our Rott on a leash when they were chased down and attacked by 3 extra large roaming dogs, a Pyrenees, a Malamute, and a Husky. Let mine go so they would not get shredded and the BRT took care of business with two before the Rott had barely started with the other. That calm but ferocious when called upon behavior was bred into them by the Red Army kennels. Agreed that there is some behavior bred into Pitts that needs to be managed if active. Not all have it- my brother has had two rescues that went their entire lives without exhibiting aggression.

Our GSD is a piece of work, super alpha female. 100% obedient to me but tends to test the rest of the family. That's their bad, not the dog's. IMO, a bit too smart for her own good. Learned on her own how to grab a door knob in her mouth and open closed doors. In-laws' spoiled and ill-tempered Yellow Lab taught her the joys of trash can raiding. Bought a dog-proof trash can and we already caught her trying to paw at the foot pedal. Pisses off my wife that she's my constant shadow.

Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?

WMUR says "No charges". WMUR sounds disappointed.

Seems for once the media got it right, the attacking dogs were actual pit bulls?

I have to give kudos to the driver who tried (unsuccessfully) to run over the attacking pitbulls with his car.

I notice they're just as accurate with defining Assault Rifle.....

This says it best, thank you.

As an owner of hunting dogs (spaniels and shorthairs) of which everyone of them pretty much licked the UPS guy's face for a cookie. I can't wrap my head around aggressive dogs. If my dog showed any tendencies toward aggression towards a person, especially a kid. I'd probably have it put down for fear of liability. My dogs generally alert bark at noise, but that's about it. I admit anything can happen with an animal......but pet owners are 100% responsible for whatever happens. I don't want to live with ticking time bomb that could injure someone or cause me a lawsuit. But lets face it just like with problem gun owners, these dogs are kept by irresponsible idiots who don't care about them.

The other day I was in the Dirty Burg grabbing some car parts and some idiot left what looked like a pit bull (could have been a mix, but it looked like one) leashed in the front seat and the thing was going crazy hanging out of a half open window. It looked like at any moment it could break free. Just not a good situation....I blame the owner of the dog if that thing came at me I would have 10 feet to decide if it wanted to play or bite my leg off....and I had my hand on the .45 just in case. I high tailed it to the car just to get out of that situation.

But only an idiot would place a dog like that in that situation, where A) it could get loose and run into the busy street. B) it could get hurt breaking the window and hang itself out the car door. C) it could break totally free and possibly hurt someone or at least scare the living shit out of them, enough for someone like me who might be carrying to have to make a quick decision about a dog I have no idea would hurt me or lick my face.

All the fault of the pet owner.....

Last edited:
You can't deny the breed has tendencies bred into it, though I think statistics bear out that they really aren't notably dangerous dogs with good owners. Also, this assumes a lot about bloodline specifics. A lot of pits left for dead and picked up by shelters wind up that way because they aren't fighters. I generally agree though that IF I had to fight a dog, I'd prefer it not a dog that when fighting excels at it.

Also, almost every pit owner I know, all of whom are responsible owners with well behaved pits got them from shelters. They didn't seek them out for some image reason. They wanted to help a dog in need, and pits are frequently euthanized and for the breed snobs on here who may be unfamiliar with shelters, often fill the shelter. Many are mixes as well.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Every Pit Bull is a great dog,…..until the they're not.
Just about EVERY SINGLE TIME you hear about a PB mauling somebody, the owner says afterwards "He's never bitten anybody. He's the gentlest, sweetest dog alive."

The unpublished secret: not all dogs are good dogs, not all dogs are "fixable"

I used to be a proponent of shelter/rescue dogs, but no more. I've dealt with too many issues with inherited and perinatal health problems, and also life-long behavioral issues. The final straw was when we acquired an adult golden retriever who was the sweetest dog ever -- until she saw a person in a hat. Anybody wearing a hat, she wanted to rip their throat out. Did everything we could to train her, but could never eliminate that reaction.

Being able to meet the dog's mother/siblings and control early nutrition and socialization all helps to limits(or at least predict) the likelihood of problems later. Our next dog was a wash-out drug dog from a reputable breeder of German shepherds, Only behavioral problems he had was being really happy to see certain neighbors (same enthusiastic reaction to scents that led him to fail the training program).

Every Pit Bull is a great dog,…..until the they're not.
Just about EVERY SINGLE TIME you hear about a PB mauling somebody, the owner says afterwards "He's never bitten anybody. He's the gentlest, sweetest dog alive."
That's always the story when the owner is smart and talking on the record; mostly because to say anything else invites a lawsuit.

I've spent significant time with owners/breeders of GSD and related large dog breeds; off the record, more than one has said "I knew he was aggressive, but thought I could control him. Should've put him down sooner", usually accompanied by showing off the now healed scar from stitches/reattachment/etc.

"Dick measuring contest"? Street cred? Tacticoolness? Nice assumptions. You must be a very intelligent person in real life! You sound like a lib talking about gun owners lmao.

According to tests conducted by the ASPCA and American Humane Society, in terms of mental stability and temperment, the Labrador retriever has the best temperment followed by the Pitbull while the German Shepard falls in 5th place just behind the golden retriever.

There you go again with the assumptions. You say most people buy them for the wrong reasons yet, have you actually met most of the people who have bought or adopted them? Probably not and again, they have a better temperment than shepards and golden retrievers. A shitty owner can turn any dog into a vicious one. Of course the local news doesn't care about the well behaved ones - only the abused ones that maul children.

All dogs instinctively go for throat or hamstrings as do cats and most quadraped predators. Thats really the most effective way of killing prey when you can't use your hands. I've owned all kinds of dogs my entire life and the only one to have ever bitten me was a Chihuahua.

It is the owners not training the dogs properly or training them to be aggressive. Why do responsible pit owners stick up for the ass hats that are giving the breed a bad name?

that would be like a motorcyclist that sticks up for the asshats that weave in an out of traffic at high speeds...screw both groups of people

Just like people if you're not raised right your a problem, and there are bad dogs just like bad people and that comes down to the individual not the group. The only exception is when you intentionally create a genetic defect like the poor Doberman in the 80's that were intentionally inbred to get that nice pointy face which in turn created a smaller cranium which squeezed the dogs brain giving it constant migraines. This created aggressive behavior which sadly forced the euthanasia of lots of Dobermans.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Just like people if you're not raised right your a problem, and there are bad dogs just like bad people and that comes down to the individual not the group. The only exception is when you intentionally create a genetic defect like the poor Doberman in the 80's that were intentionally inbred to get that nice pointy face which in turn created a smaller cranium which squeezed the dogs brain giving it constant migraines. This created aggressive behavior which sadly forced the euthanasia of lots of Dobermans.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

How could this possibly be known? Not trying to be a jerk but I am seriously asking. I mean, it's not like the dog can communicate that he has a headache.

"Dick measuring contest"? Street cred? Tacticoolness? Nice assumptions. You must be a very intelligent person in real life! You sound like a lib talking about gun owners lmao.

Yes, a dick measuring contest of epic proportions. It's one of those stereotypes that has some truth to it. Now I didn't say ALL, but that of course is how your receiving it
So is it ok to assume you had pitbulls or have pit bulls at one time or another?

According to tests conducted by the ASPCA and American Humane Society, in terms of mental stability and temperment, the Labrador retriever has the best temperment followed by the Pitbull while the German Shepard falls in 5th place just behind the golden retriever.

Send me the link please.. The only lists I see are for intelligence, and the shepherd is number 3 on the dozens of lists I've seen, pit bulls aren't even in the top 25. Pit bulls are not knows for intelligence..

There you go again with the assumptions. You say most people buy them for the wrong reasons yet, have you actually met most of the people who have bought or adopted them? Probably not and again, they have a better temperment than shepards and golden retrievers. A shitty owner can turn any dog into a vicious one. Of course the local news doesn't care about the well behaved ones - only the abused ones that maul children.

Yes, that's why the shelters are jam packed with pitbulls.
You must not have read to deep into what makes every dog bread different. Bird dogs can't be pitbulls and vice versa.

All dogs instinctively go for throat or hamstrings as do cats and most quadraped predators. Thats really the most effective way of killing prey when you can't use your hands. I've owned all kinds of dogs my entire life and the only one to have ever bitten me was a Chihuahua.

100% untrue. Cats have a much more predatory instincts than dogs, just how it is.
MOST dogs fear bite. Yes, all dogs have the ability to bite, pitbulls probably do to at some time or another bite in fear or nervousness. Your Chihuahua will not instinctively go for the neck, won't happen unless it's more convenient for him. Your average dog will grab an arm or a leg of some sort, they nip and cowardly runaway.
Pit bulls have a deeper instinct to kill, thats how they were bred, they have more of a tendency to go for the neck to finish a fight to kill...thats how it is.
I will repeat myself again...NOT ALL PITBULLS ARE BAD. It's a combination of shitty owners and the breed, but the breed itself has alot to do with the attacks, so don't say that a golden will be just as dangerous as a pitbull in the wrong hands. And again, biting from fear is different than attacking and killing. I can assure you there are just as many other neglected breeds that dont commonly kill like pit bulls usually do.
Just how it is. Its in the DNA, and it's people like you who think all dogs are the same and think a golden is the same as a pitbull. So people go out and get pitbulls thinking it's the same as a golden and disaster strikes cuz they really don't know how to handle the breed properly in general. Care has to be taken with certain breeds, and pibulls are at the top of the list.

Last edited:
Ultimately the real issue is that people think they are Golden Retrievers, because that's how they are advertised.
"oh they make great family pets" Instead it should say "they CAN make great family pets", The word CAN has a lot of meaning in that context.
All the pit bull guilt that is on the street completely removes any real facts about the breed. The fact is they need to be sold with that well known warning label, just like a few of the other somewhat "notorious" breeds. Again..This "Warning label" has been erased by the shelters and the media due to the Pitbull guilt and over packed shelters.
German Shepherds, Rotties, Dobermans, etc etc have this label that society has built in automatically, and its accurate, they arent golden retrievers either. Special care has to be taken with certain breeds, its a fact. If these breeds are brought up incorrectly or with a weak hand, your more likely to have a situation on your hands.
AND I REPEAT, All these dogs CAN make good family pets, but pitbulls, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, need to be taken a lot more serious.

People also need to stop comparing guns to dogs. Yes, if both are left unattended they can be dangerous, but ultimately the dog will make his own decision while left unattended. A neglected Golden is alot more predictable and less damgerous than a pitbull. Also Ask yourself how many times a pitbull needed to be stopped with a gun as compared to a shepherd or a labrador? A swift kick to the ribs to a Lab will most often get him to stop, no matter how much hes neglected, pit bulls are wired to not stop... FACT.

Im not painting a broad brush here, there are certain breads that need special attention, it doesn't make them bad or terrible pets. Just make sure you don't ignore the truth of the breed and the bloodline before you get one.
Unfortunately the "coolness" factor usually wins over with common sense.

Can you imagine the outcome if this happened in Boston instead of Manchester?

WMUR says "No charges". WMUR sounds disappointed.

Seems for once the media got it right, the attacking dogs were actual pit bulls?

I have to give kudos to the driver who tried (unsuccessfully) to run over the attacking pitbulls with his car.

Ive been avoiding this thread, i wish i read it earlier base on this post alone.
If my pit attacked, id be the first to put her down......never gunna happen.

I chew on my pits head 2-3 hours a day...some say its unnatural. Most webstites say if you don't have 15min a day to play with your dog you shouldn't have one....15 min? Come on.

Send me the link please.. The only lists I see are for intelligence, and the shepherd is number 3 on the dozens of lists I've seen, pit bulls aren't even in the top 25. Pit bulls are not knows for intelligence..

He's talking about the tests conducted annually by the American Temperament Test Society (not ASPCA) which I posted some of the data in post #66...I pulled the data and dropped it into excel and added a rank number as well as sorted it by number of dogs tested...and the pit does test higher than the German Shepard by a couple percent and ranks 98 where the Shepard ranks 120 of the 246 breeds tested...it's not much but he isn't wrong

Where is the link for the intelligence testing?...lists aren't equal to tests cause they are just opinions...no data to back it up...and unless the testing is inclusive of all breeds then it doesn't really matter...I know the AKC doesn't even recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier...so it's not coming from them

https://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-page1/

i

157COLLIE88871617280.60%

Last edited:
He's talking about the tests conducted annually by the American Temperament Test Society (not ASPCA) which I posted some of the data in post #66...I pulled the data and dropped it into excel and added a rank number as well as sorted it by number of dogs tested...and the pit does test higher than the German Shepard by a couple percent and ranks 98 where the Shepard ranks 120 of the 246 breeds tested...it's not much but he isn't wrong

Where is the link for the intelligence testing?...lists aren't equal to tests cause they are just opinions...no data to back it up...and unless the testing is inclusive of all breeds then it doesn't really matter...I know the AKC doesn't even recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier...so it's not coming from them

Well, the AKC had papered my dogs line since their establishment, but their current position is there is no such thing as a pure bred pit.

Its an AKC ranking, the American Stafford-shire, ranked #42, is the most closely related, and from what ive read it was a name change due to the bad reputation of the Pitbull name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

And im sorry but i dispute this test... Some breeds they only used 1 test dog, and for the German shepherd they used over 3k. Right off the bat that is a flaw in the test. You test with the same amount of dogs across the board, that way you get a much more accurate test.
i understand its a percentage, but testing 1 dog versus 3k is completely ridiculous.. How do i know that if they only tested 1 German shepherd that he wouldn't have passed ? And how do i know that one single dog that was tested and passed in a particular breed wouldn't have gotten a worse ranking if you tested 3k more of that breed? For all i know the first 10 German shepherds could have passed, and 3k pit bulls could have gotten a worse score than 900 that were tested.? They should have tested a certain number, lets say 100, from each breed to make this test more accurate.

Its an AKC ranking, the American Stafford-shire, ranked #42, is the most closely related, and from what ive read it was a name change due to the bad reputation of the Pitbull name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

And im sorry but i dispute this test... Some breeds they only used 1 test dog, and for the German shepherd they used over 3k. Right off the bat that is a flaw in the test. You test with the same amount of dogs across the board, that way you get a much more accurate test.
i understand its a percentage, but testing 1 dog versus 3k is completely ridiculous.. How do i know that if they only tested 1 German shepherd that he wouldn't have passed ? And how do i know that one single dog that was tested and passed in a particular breed wouldn't have gotten a worse ranking if you tested 3k more of that breed? For all i know the first 10 German shepherds could have passed, and 3k pit bulls could have gotten a worse score than 900 that were tested.? They should have tested a certain number, lets say 100, from each breed to make this test more accurate.

I agree that they should have tested the same number of dogs but I'm sure some of these breeds are so rare that they can't find enough to test...could be those designer breeds...either way a percentage is a percentage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's like doing a realiabilty test with 3000 Ford's and only 500 chevies...meaning less.
There are plenty of pitbulls to compare 3k German shepherds with, but why did they test so many shepherds?
Those percentages mean nothing when the test subject numbers aren't the same.

Back
Top Bottom